Print Thread
September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas #11703582 07/04/16 01:17 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Hey all. I'm looking at hitting Port A around late September/early October. I currently have a Penn Battle II (either the 3000 or 4000) on some cheap Cabela's rod. I stay at Channelview Condos which have their own pier that sticks out into the shipping channel. Due to the convenience, I rarely fish elsewhere. I know, I know, wasted trip. So many other places to fish down there. Anyway, I don't have much luck off of that pier. It could be the fact that I'm dead set on catching fish using artificials, but even last time I went (Nov 2014) we were live-lining shrimp on the surface as well as about 18" under using popping corks. Didn't catch a single fish that trip. My buddy caught a pelican though Looking at restocking the tackle box and buying some new gear. I have the itch and I have $$$. I've been wanting to get a baitcaster and a new spinning reel but I hear the Battle II's aren't that bad. Might just take it apart, clean, re-grease and upgrade the bearings before I go. For pier fishing specifically in Port Aransas (Channelview's, Horace Caldwell, Charlie's Pasture), could you make me a list of what to buy for my coming trip? Hook sizes, which artificials, new spinning reel/rod, even a baitcasting reel/rod, anything to help me land something this time. My uncle caught a 46" red last time the family went and all I got was a dogfish and some hardheads. Any people that frequent the Port A piers please lend some advice. I live in Austin and work a lot so I only get a chance to hit the coast once to twice a year. I fish for 12 hours a day when I go. Maybe I just suck. I'd like to only bring 2-3 rod/reel setups as I have a CX-5 and will have a passenger or two with me, along with our luggage, supplies, etc. Which 2-3 setups would you bring to the pier? I try to get down at least 3 times a year.

Re: September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas [Re: BSully1983] #11704303 07/04/16 10:16 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
at 6 am take the Jetty boat across the channel. Walk down beach for 2 miles , cast several different kinds of lures, whatever you normally catch trout on ( I like surface plugs) . I am posting pic,,, the current goes around Jetties and comes back to shore 2 miles later, you can see it on google earth, that is the place to fish from the bank,,,, The longer you can cast the better.

Re: September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas [Re: BSully1983] #11714578 07/10/16 04:49 AM
S
snagola Offline
Angler
Angler
S
cool

Re: September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas [Re: BSully1983] #11715385 07/10/16 09:05 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Uh, thanks Dune, but would that not be Up the beach?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Re: September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas [Re: BSully1983] #11717368 07/11/16 10:04 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Setups:
6'6" Medium Power Moderate Action Casting- Shimano Curado 7.2:1 ($130 on Ebay new)- 50lb Power Pro Super Slick 8 braid-(blood Knot) 10-12" 30lb mono leader (topwaters)
7'0" Medium Power Fast Action Spinning- Shimano Symetre FL 3000- 30lb Power Pro Super Slick 8 braid-(blood Knot) 18-36" 30lb mono leader- 1/8 oz jighead

I make and fish my own custom rod's so maybe someone else could help as to which brands of rods are good these days. I know in the past I've never been disappointed in a Falcon rod for the price.

Artificials:
1/8th oz jighead with 1/0 or 2/0 hook
5" Gulp Jerk Shad: Chartruese, Nuclear Chicken
Spec Rig
Gold Spoon
Topwaters: Heddon Super Spook Jr: Red head white body, Bone

2 rods is all you need, Medium power rods with braid handle bull reds just fine (and make it more fun). Just make sure to set your drag correctly

Go out and wade different spots until you find some fish. My favorite wading from the car spot is behind the church with the green roof just passed packery channel on your left hand side heading towards port a on 361. The North side jetty is usually really good this time of year for all species, taking the ferry across as suggested is a good option.

Driving down the beach on a calm day looking for slicks, sloughs, and outsucks is a great way to land some huge trout; and if the reds are running when you're down there.. youre in for some fun.

An old pair of tennis shoes or some cheap Hodgeman wading booties from academy and some jeans or knee zip (or similar material) pants make great wading attire.

Not a live/dead bait guy, but a popping cork and shrimp/gulp shrimp make a deadly combo, especially at night on the edges of pier lights.
18-24" leader with a 3/0 kahle hook or a #2 treble hook.

Throwing any live/dead bait on the bottom with your existing setups will work great.

Oh and don't forget to have fun! You're only there twice a year, so don't stress too much about catching fish and worry more about enjoying your 2 days down there.

Also, the Woody's boats usually put you on a few fish for pretty cheap, and are a good time to down a few liquid bread calories. cheers

Last edited by Connor S; 07/11/16 10:13 PM.

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas [Re: BSully1983] #11791755 08/23/16 02:30 AM
S
snagola Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Suggestions if I don't want to wade? How far must I cast to get out far enough? Had experiences before with very large fish in 1 foot of water, not ready to go back into surf....

Re: September/October Pier Fishing Trip to Port Aransas [Re: BSully1983] #11798971 08/26/16 10:30 PM
C
cudakilla Offline
Angler
Angler
C
That pier you're staying near is good for Gafftop. I have seen people consistently pull out decent sized ones with fresh shrimp. Fun if you're into them. Otherwise if the beach front has good clean water go on Horace Caldwell Pier. We do real good there when conditions are good. Daytime for smacks and pomps on artificials and specks at night. You got time so it's worth hanging out and watching how the regulars fish at the different locations.

www.cudakilla.com
"The best fisherman I know try not to make the same mistakes over and over again; instead they strive to make new and interesting mistakes and to remember what they learned from them." John Gierach
Cudakilla Videos
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide