texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,030
TexDawg 119,792
Bigbob_FTW 95,334
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,490
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,916
Posts13,955,308
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A #11701538 07/02/16 10:01 PM
R
Ripping lip Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
R
I was just wondering what people thought about the south jetty. Does is make a difference to walk your gear down towards the end? Or is it just about the same anywhere? I would like to park and fish right behind the truck but if the fish are further, I'll make the walk. Thanks, y'all!

Sacrifice what you want now for what you want most.
Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #11701647 07/02/16 11:38 PM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Depends on what you're fishing for and the type fishing you do. You'll find reds further out, along with smacks and other fish.

Closer to the beach and further to the west you'll find other species this time of year, sheepies, etc, even though you'll find some species all along the jetty.
Not gonna give away all the info but look for reds or other fish feeding on crabs & other bait being swept out with the tide. Channel side.Fish close to the rocks if not in clean/clear water.
Good Luck

Originally Posted By: Ripping lip
I was just wondering what people thought about the south jetty. Does is make a difference to walk your gear down towards the end? Or is it just about the same anywhere? I would like to park and fish right behind the truck but if the fish are further, I'll make the walk. Thanks, y'all!

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #11701813 07/03/16 02:02 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Exactly what Too said.. And well said! I'm really not a live bait guy but my kiddos killed em on freelined live shrimp, they stayed busy, rat reds, sand trout, specs, smacks and lady fish. Lots of bait robbers so be ready! Me... I went to port a outfitters and bought big cast masters to. Cast out far and caught big lady fish, trout and smacks! We fished surf side 100% of the time. Walked About half way with the kiddos and worked our way back. Look for spooked bait and you will get bit!? Jetties are my least favorite spot to fish but you never know what will hit?! Take lots of water to drink and where good shoes! Good luck to ya and let us know how you do. Headed back to north Texas! cry

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #11702445 07/03/16 04:38 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
love the south jetty. I'll be there tuesday & wednesday.
at the end.......

[Linked Image]
Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #11706906 07/06/16 12:49 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Before I bought my boat 8 years ago, I fished only the south jetty. Miss Ruth (the jetty lady) used to catch tons of fish within 50yds from the end on the gulf side. The first time I met her 20 years ago, she sat 10 yds from me pulling in one bull red after another while I watched in awe. I learned so much from her every year on fishing the Jetties. She'd catch a piggy perch and put it on her big pole and threw it out under a popping cork. You can also do the same with live shrimp or mullet. At the right times of the year, hang on tight!

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #12262590 05/25/17 05:14 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: Timmy P
Before I bought my boat 8 years ago, I fished only the south jetty. Miss Ruth (the jetty lady) used to catch tons of fish within 50yds from the end on the gulf side. The first time I met her 20 years ago, she sat 10 yds from me pulling in one bull red after another while I watched in awe. I learned so much from her every year on fishing the Jetties. She'd catch a piggy perch and put it on her big pole and threw it out under a popping cork. You can also do the same with live shrimp or mullet. At the right times of the year, hang on tight!

Tim, by gulf side do you mean opposite side of the jetty from the channel?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: TOO] #12277213 06/03/17 10:48 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted By: TOO
Depends on what you're fishing for and the type fishing you do. You'll find reds further out, along with smacks and other fish.

Closer to the beach and further to the west you'll find other species this time of year, sheepies, etc, even though you'll find some species all along the jetty.
Not gonna give away all the info but look for reds or other fish feeding on crabs & other bait being swept out with the tide. Channel side.Fish close to the rocks if not in clean/clear water.
Good Luck

May i ask if you use a cork?

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: eyeball] #12277941 06/04/17 03:08 PM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: eyeball

Good Luck

May i ask if you use a cork?

Of course you can ask,
for redfish on a falling tide we'll generally use "TOO's Famous Slip Cork" rig stolen & adapted from old sea jetty rats way back in the 80's. Normally use piggies, (pinfish) targeting reds.

We'll use a scaled down "TFSCR" version on other species targeted elsewhere on the SJ (trout, mangroves, sheepies, etc), usually with live brownies or cut bait.

Sometimes freeline brownies or other live bait, sometimes rock walk and throw hardware; really depends on the conditions on how & where we fish the SJ.

After 30 years just saw another adaption to fishing specific conditions on the SJ that we've bogarted and will put to use.

Try to make the SJ work for you to produce fish, not the other way around.

Generally when the tide is moving fish that are structure (rocks in this case)oriented will be aggressive, pelagic fish (Smacks, kings, jacks, even Ling) not as big an issue, look for clearer water to maybe find them.

Good Luck

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #12278067 06/04/17 05:17 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Thanks. I never did any jetty fishing. Those reds will take a big piggy perch whole? . I always heard reds couldnt pass up crab. I wonder if cut crab would work with that slip cork rig.

I never heard of a "brownie" other than my sisters 55 yrs ago before they became girlscouts or the chocolate pan brownies. wink

Re another thread: I wonder if its legal to use small live crabs for personal bait? Would you have any idea?

TFSCR is a new one to me also. Im beginning to feel like im not even a real Texan on here.

Last edited by eyeball; 06/04/17 05:20 PM.

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: eyeball] #12280091 06/06/17 12:24 AM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Thanks. I never did any jetty fishing. Those reds will take a big piggy perch whole? .
Yes, reds will eat a hand sized piggy whole.

I always heard reds couldnt pass up crab. I wonder if cut crab would work with that slip cork rig.ig. Reds love crab

I never heard of a "brownie" other thanb my sisters 55 yrs ago before they became girlscouts or the chocolate pan brownies. wink
brown shrimp

Re another thread: I wonder if its legal to use small live crabs for personal bait? Would you have any idea? Fully legal to use cut crab or whole crab

TFSCR is a new one to me also. Im beginning to feel like im not even a real Texan on here.

Referred to in previous post: TOO's Famous Slip Cork Rig, first letter each word
Regrettable that these posts makes it look like your not in Texas any more

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #12280264 06/06/17 02:20 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
roflmao

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: TOO] #12281893 06/06/17 11:52 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Thanks. I never did any jetty fishing. Those reds will take a big piggy perch whole? .
Yes, reds will eat a hand sized piggy whole.

I always heard reds couldnt pass up crab. I wonder if cut crab would work with that slip cork rig.ig. Reds love crab

I never heard of a "brownie" other thanb my sisters 55 yrs ago before they became girlscouts or the chocolate pan brownies. wink
brown shrimp

Re another thread: I wonder if its legal to use small live crabs for personal bait? Would you have any idea? Fully legal to use cut crab or whole crab

Referred to in previous post: TOO's Famous Slip Cork Rig, first letter each word
Regrettable that these posts makes it look like your not in Texas any more

Ha. Man, God bless you for your time and effort. Many thanks. I owe you a few beers if i ever meet you.

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: eyeball] #12282025 06/07/17 01:08 AM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
No problem, amigo.

Click on the above for help with the PM

TFSCR

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #12298113 06/17/17 03:05 AM
S
snagola Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I tried the jetty a few times with my 12 year old and we didn't catch anything. We need a lot more practice fishing such a strong current. When you through out a float with a live perch or shrimp, doesn't it zoom past to the right or left? And then what should we do, reel in and cast out again? Or do you let line out.

Re: Best place to fish from the south jetty- Port A [Re: Ripping lip] #12298362 06/17/17 02:15 PM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I fish the surf side 100% of the time. Yes you may need to constantly recast but the key is to look for spooked bait about 1-5ft off the rocks. I really only fish the jetties early in the morning or close to sundown! Polarized glasses is your best friend! Freelined live shrimp is my go to technique! Beware the bait stealers

Teamgetsome$$$
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide