Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
A day of Firsts #11698496 07/01/16 01:03 AM
Txmedic033 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Monday I woke up at 4 am to drive to Fork and pick up Tboxfish for a day of fishing. Todd accepted my invitation to do some scouting for the upcoming sand bass tournament and hopefully a little crappie fishing too. This would be my First time meeting and fishing with Todd and I was looking forward to it. It would also be my First time drooling over all of Belinda's handcrafted lures so that I could pick my favorite patterns and attempt to copy them when I got back home.

I arrived at their residence 15 minutes early and waited on him to come out and jump in the truck. Fast forward 15 minutes and I am hitting the horn and beating on his door with no response. Fast forward another 15 minutes and I am walking around knocking on random walls where I think he might be sleeping on the other side. realmad By doing this I managed to wake up Belinda who came to the door and then woke Todd up. Belinda came and sat outside to talk with me while we continued to wait on Todd. She introduced herself and then began telling me why I needed to be fishing with a G-rod. coach noidea I tried to buy a couple 7' rods, but they were currently sold out of that size so I decided to wait until they got some in.

Todd eventually walked out and started saying that this was the First time he had ever done that. violin He grabbed a couple G-rods, a gallon large ziplock full of plastics, and a utility box full of jig heads that I'm convinced lowered my boat's top end by at least 2 mph. He tossed them in the boat and off we went. He decided that we could not go to the spot that he had originally planned on going because my boat has a large T-top that would not allow it to fit under the bridge.

We launched at the 154 east public ramp and went to look for some sandies. First spot didn't show any fish. Second spot showed a large group holding on the edge of the roadbed.

Todd said that he was looking forward to seeing my Xi5 trolling motor in action so now was going to be his first opportunity. I deployed it and it just started beeping over and over. I saw that it did not have any satellite signal for some reason. bang I assured him that this was the First time it had ever happened. I was just going to have to manually operate the motor since it could not spot lock w/o any satellite signal. I was trying to decide what lure to drop First and I see Todd come up on his toes and setting the hook like he is trying to kill something. He says he had a pitbull with fins(Sand bass). He promptly gets the fish to the surface and it turned out to be his customary ditch pickle on his First drop of the day.

Todd managed to catch one sand bass in that spot while I zeroed. We decided to run and gun to cover more areas since it was a scouting trip so off we went in search of more fish. We were on our way south and scanning the points and road beds on the east side of the lake for more fish when I saw a submerged tree that I had previously marked months ago. The tree resulted in a nice shell cracker and several crappie. One of which was our First keeper. I bet you can guess who caught that one.

Once I showed him my First and only spot that I had marked in that area of the lake he began showing me pile after pile along the east bank. He brought me to a giant pile that he guaranteed we would get bit at and he wasn't kidding. He caught several keepers as quick as he could get his jig in the water while I attempted to keep us on the pile. I have apparently forgotten how to operate a trolling motor after using spot lock for the last year. I think he was feeling sorry for me because he dropped the jig down and then handed me the G-rod so that I could feel how sensitive it was. I lifted the rod tip and promptly got hung up in the brush pile and lost his jig. blush

It was at this exact moment that the trolling motor stopped responding to my remote control completely. mad I managed to reset the trolling motor and reprogrammed the remote and it started working. We even had satellite signal for the First time all day!! I pulled back to the brush pile and hit anchor and waited with a smug smile on my face for Todd to see how well it held us on the brush pile in the wind. Things were starting to look up. banana I was finally able to fish like I am used to fishing and it was time to redeem myself for the poor showing I had earlier in the day. Then Todd told me to turn off the trolling motor because his line was caught in it's prop. eeks We could not get it untangled so I started removing the prop so I could get the line out of the motor. I was begging the small MG prop pin to please behave itself as I unscrewed the prop. It did not behave and fell right into the lake. eek2 We had finally got the trolling motor working correctly and now we did not have a way to keep the prop on. Then I remembered that I had some "extra parts" from when I had added the TH Marine prop nut. Thankfully I had one extra pin so we were back in business. woot

The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful. We managed to scout a large majority of the east bank from Hwy 515 bridge all the way to the dam. I had a blast fishing with Todd and learned several techniques that I had not seen before for fishing a jig. The fish wanted a small natural bait at 14-16' and they were trying to knock the rod out of our hands. Todd's best bait was Thermocline's 2" tadpole in Ice Shad and my most productive was a 2.25" jointed minnow in my best attempt at Black Emerald Shiner. Both of us were using 1/16 oz jig heads and using the rod tip to control the fall.

We were off the water by lunch time and Todd and Belinda were nice enough to show me Thermocline's headquarters. They have a great operation and I can honestly say that I have never seen a bait making station that clean. Belinda must be a cleaning machine! If anyone is in the area, they should definitely stop by and pick up some baits. They have tons of baits in stock and ready to fish. Even after Todd sleeping in and all of the issues that we had during the trip I absolutely enjoyed it. Todd is a phenom with a jig rod. If anyone was looking to finally kick the minnow bucket habit they need to book a jig fishing trip with Todd. It was a day of Firsts, but I am hoping that it won't be that last time we get to fish together. If we do, I'm gonna tell him I'll be there 30 minutes earlier than I actually will.

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698516 07/01/16 01:19 AM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Good read. Good times. Sometimes things go south when fishing. It is how you deal with it and you guy's managed to overcome the challenges and keep your heads high and jigs in the water.

Good job and yes Thermocline headquarters is a clean knit top notch run facility.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698621 07/01/16 02:28 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Good read.

[Linked Image]

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698660 07/01/16 02:52 AM
S
Sigav8r Offline
Angler
Angler
S
My fathers day gift to myself was a stop by Todd and Belinda's! It is amazing and I was like a kid in a candy store. Somehow I managed to not buy one of everything but I'm a lot closer! Great post and great people all around!

[Linked Image]
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698731 07/01/16 03:42 AM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
Good stuff!!!! Wake up princess!!!! roflmao

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698919 07/01/16 11:29 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
clap

LOL. Had my share of days like that. I been by Todd and Belinda's place half a dozen times in the last few days and that Cadillac of a boat was always gone...I finally caught up with them yesterday.

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698923 07/01/16 11:33 AM
C
Cowboytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Good read. Sounds like an eventful, memorable & fun day. thumb

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11698947 07/01/16 11:58 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Nice post! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11699043 07/01/16 12:54 PM
A
Action_Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Nice read...fun times of first on the water fellas!

Nice red ear too, next time I'd have to take a couple dozen crickets lol!

Katchin krappie...doin surgeries(filleting)...and givin hott grease baths until krunchy and golden brown is what it's all about!!!

"STAY ready for the THUMP"!!!!
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11699062 07/01/16 01:01 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Looks like it all worked itself out. Some days just be like that. Good story and good pics...enjoyed it.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11699276 07/01/16 02:23 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Successful trip and fun times.

TIP: I marked the end of the prop shaft with a small engraved line to match the position of the pin behind the prop. If I have to remove the prop, the line helps position the shaft so the pin is horizontal and won't fall out.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Ken Gaby] #11699380 07/01/16 03:05 PM
Txmedic033 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Successful trip and fun times.

TIP: I marked the end of the prop shaft with a small engraved line to match the position of the pin behind the prop. If I have to remove the prop, the line helps position the shaft so the pin is horizontal and won't fall out.

Great tip! I realized that if I did not stow it all the way that I could leave the nose pointing down at the end of the mount and not drop important objects in the lake.

I also forgot to add that I replaced the battery terminals just prior to this shift and I'm pretty sure that is what prompted the trolling motor issues.

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11699611 07/01/16 04:49 PM
B-Deuces Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
wont meet a finer couple than todd and belinda!

Gensis 27:3 "Go now, take your weapons, your quiver, and your bow, go out into the field and hunt game for me."

Bryley Doucet
Re: A day of Firsts [Re: Txmedic033] #11700033 07/01/16 08:19 PM
TexExp Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

Sounds like fun after all the mishaps! Always learning... cool

B & T are good peeps. Stop by the shop if you are at Fork!

Re: A day of Firsts [Re: TexExp] #11700053 07/01/16 08:33 PM
C
crappiecat1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
great read. good fishing guys

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide