Page 1 of 2 1 2
The dumbest question is #11695906 06/29/16 06:24 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
J
the one you don't ask, so here goes. This year me and the ms. are trying our skills at
crappie fishing at Lake Fork. We have been doing pretty good for a couple of rookies.
I went with a guide and got a few tips, and a few spots. We have also stumbled on to a few spots
of our own, mostly brushpiles and some timber. We can drown minnows with the best of 'em.
My question is I envy reading about and watch guys catch crappie with jigs,
I have plenty of jigs ($$$), and have caught a couple here and there, but nothing like I would like to do.
How do I select the color to start with or use ??? and the size, weight,..,..there has to be some sort of logic to start with I would think,..
any help would be appreciated,..jim fish

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11695929 06/29/16 06:35 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Im in the same boat as you with crappie. I'll hire a guide and assimilate his brain. Plus I'm a land locked sailor, so no boat. Yet. Not again Cast. Aluminum this time buddy, it'll be great. I said no.

Still trying to talk myself into/out of buying a tracker.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11695954 06/29/16 06:44 PM
C
CodyTuckerOutdoors Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Well, anything with chartruese in it should work in Texas. On any lake really. It's not so much the color to start with. It's using a bait that you have confidence in. Being a "rookie" (and I know you fish great) especially on fork in the summer, if you know where fish are, tip some jogs with a minnow. Get a few bites. Put a few different baits and colors on. Once you know the fish are there, leave the minnow off and see if you can get them to bite. It's a slow process. I personally know many baits work out there. For instance in my boat, I've seen Rocky tops, thermocline, and Lane palmers jigs work incredibly. That's first hand experience. On Ray Roberts yesterday and today I tried new baits with no minnows. I used them in areas I KNEW fish were there. I caught fish on the new Bonehead Brush Gliders in pink/blue, pink/chartruese, and one
That is the same color As foil.. Haha. But it's all trial and error. After that it's confidence. Once you have confidence in something I almost guarantee it'll work anywhere!

Lake Ray Roberts Crappie Guide
Lake Ray Roberts Bass Guide
Lake Fork Crappie Guide
Codytuckeroutdoors@gmail.com
Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11695975 06/29/16 06:49 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Every place has different pattern and better and worse colors. You can always try experimenting with different colors as you go but you will almost always be good with natural colors. Start with just a white baby shad and a black baby shad, I know crappie guides who won't use anything else but that. Get pink jig heads, for some reason those work best according to most pro crappie fishermen. Also might want to try Bobby Garland Itty Bitty Jig in white or black/chartreuse (they are about 1&1/4' long). Have found that a lot of times when the bite is tough and the fish are finicky they will be more willing to hit the really small jig. My thought would be for you to learn how to tie 2 jigs onto your line and have 1 of the white or black shad jigs on the bottom and have an experimental jig about 12-18 inches above it so you can see what else is working, use it to try different colors, different types of jigs, etc.

ALSO absolutely get some Bass Pro Shops Hook Guard for Weedless Lures or if there is a different brand.... they will save you the frustration of loosing all those jigs fishing the timber!

Eric

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11695999 06/29/16 06:55 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I don't put as much emphasis on color as presentation. Lot's of folks make the mistake of fishing too deep...you have to get the bait in front of the fish and secondly is the rate of fall. With that said, sometimes color makes all the difference but for the most part I think the crappie bite is a reaction bite. As mentioned above, once you have a confidence bait that's the one you will use most of the time anyway. Good luck to you and the mrs.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696102 06/29/16 07:38 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Find the active fish. If you find them, they will bite whatever is put in front of them, most days. If I don't get bit within 10 minutes, I'm moving to the next spot.

If the fish are inactive, you can try every color in the rainbow...the bite is going to be slow, if at all.

There are plenty of crappie in Lake Fork, and plenty of places they reside that you should not waste your time on an inactive area.

I fish three basic colors...blue, chartreuse and white, in different combinations...sometimes blue/white, other times blue/chartreuse, sometimes white/chartreuse. I will have these tied on a rod.

I also have a black emerald shiner tied on.

I fish these on a 1/8 oz. jighead as a single rig, or 2-1/16 oz. on a tandem rig.

Some spots, I may only catch a couple...others spots I may catch 20, if the bite slows, I change colors. Once the bite stops, I'm on to the next spot. I may re-visit a spot several hours later.

For me, finding the active fish is the key.

Gman

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696222 06/29/16 08:55 PM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Alot of variables to consider. In muddy conditions a larger profile bait helps (thanks Tommy Tidwell) for that tip. Also whats going in in the lake eco system. If the mayflies are hatching, a brownish darker color may be good, if the grasshoppers are flying into the water, green may be the color, if the crickets are flying into the lake because farmers are thrashing thier fields around a lake, brown /yellow/ green/ black may work.
If the shad spawn has finished recently in the spring, a small light colored jig may work.
I live out in the country and grasshopper and crickets are hopping everywhere.
I went fishing yesterday and tried some green jigs with some sparkle, (because the waters very stained), and the fish loved it.
On some lakes crappie are so prolific (waco), I believe they cannibalize thier young, so green jigs tend to work good. Sometimes black and chartruese jigs will outfish green though. Scent is important too, crappie nibble will improve your bites 4 to 1 in my opinion .

Last edited by leanin post; 06/29/16 08:56 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696326 06/29/16 09:38 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Color is not as important as the overall size of the bait, weight of jighead and presentation. You can get a fish to hit any color as long as those things are done correctly. You also want to fish the lightest jig possible. I hardly ever go above a quarter ounce jighead. Will they work? Yes, but I feel that you are missing fish by fishing too heavy of a jig, especially this time of year, because so many will hit it as it falls.

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696368 06/29/16 10:09 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I'm reading that crappie jigging is pretty much the same as bass fishing a t-rig but with a very light touch. Can you feel the tap tap like a bass on a worm? Then just slowly raise the rod to set the hook?

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696384 06/29/16 10:21 PM
AggieKenny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Color doesn't matter, until it does. This is not a smart a... answer, just what I've found to be true. I've fished ten different colors before, and got fish on all colors. On a different day, only certain combo's will work. For me, and this is just a general rule, on bright sunny days, bright colors fish better, and on cloudy or overcast days, grays, black and blues fish better.

For Fork, I have five combos that work well, and are usually a starting point for my Fork outings. A good buddy of mind dubbed them the Fab Five, -Cinnamon/Blue, Chartreuse/Blue, Gray/Blue, Cinnamon/Chartreuse and Gray/Gray-Black.

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: Cast] #11696389 06/29/16 10:23 PM
AggieKenny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Cast
I'm reading that crappie jigging is pretty much the same as bass fishing a t-rig but with a very light touch. Can you feel the tap tap like a bass on a worm? Then just slowly raise the rod to set the hook?

If you don't get a "THUMP," then you get a bite where the fish swims up with the bait, and if you aren't paying attention, you won't feel anything until they spit it out.

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696417 06/29/16 10:49 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
So you watch the line for a twitch?

Cast

[Linked Image]

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: Cast] #11696421 06/29/16 10:52 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Cast
So you watch the line for a twitch?

A lot of times the line will just go slack. Sometimes it will twitch but not very often.

Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696468 06/29/16 11:19 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Don't overwork it! Get it in front of the fish and let the bait do the work.

โ€œThe more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.โ€ - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: The dumbest question is [Re: JIM SR.] #11696470 06/29/16 11:20 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I need a guide/crappie mentor.

Cast

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread