texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,901
Posts13,955,031
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11693260 06/28/16 02:03 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
:DCarey you doing night trips? don't see a thing on your website, less boats, less heat. thanks L ike

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11700621 07/02/16 03:23 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Was supposed to go tuna fishing Thursday night but after a 5 hour drive to Freeport and jumping in the boat for 30 min, the port engine went out and we had to turn around and come back to Dallas.

Last week, I had caught a couple of crappie while sandbass fishing, so since I had taken the day off for fishing and did not know anything about crappie fishing, I texted Carey and asked if he could show me the ropes. We spent the morning going over the electronics and what to look for using my boat and then stopped to do some fishing later in the morning.

It was really cool talking with Carey and actually seeing what he talks about in all of his threads. We were able to use my SI to scan for piles and look at trees for fish. I also learned just how much of a finesse fish this is compared to sandbass or tuna for that matter.

We caught enough fish for dinner and I caught by PB crappie which beat my PB from last week..

I would recommend Carey anytime, I always learn tons from my trips.

I only fish Lavon, so if you sa camo G3 with rods in the rodholders say hi!

Here was the PB from today. I am sure that we could have caught a limit but I do not chase limits, only dinner smile. I kept 8 before we started throwing them back..

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11744558 07/27/16 02:17 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Lake Lavon has been amazing.

It's been Insane. Top water bite has been greatness. Throw anything at them and they will bite. A three inch chrome popper will catch two fish at a time they are so aggressive right now.

You throw a topwater in the feeding frenzy, and before you close the bail on your reel, you have one. I like to burn the topwater back and have the Sandies popping at it- but just out of reach. You will figure out a speed to just keep the Sandy's trailing the popper without eating it.. When I see a bigger wake, or a blow up attempt that is bigger than the smaller blowups, I'll slow the popper down and walk the dog. These big 15-16 inch Sandies will launch out of the water hitting the poppers so hard it will actually scare you.

And not to mention the Hybrids we have in the lake now. I see them on a daily basis right now. Not a lot of them, but they are there. 17-25 inch fish there.

Limits of Sandies are almost a guarantee for the average joe that fishes every weekend.

Top water, rattletraps, slabs, cohoes, whatever. It all works. When they're on top. Try to fish the outside of the school and don't motor up and stop in the middle of it. They will stay up a lot longer that way.

Above is the Sandies just waking up and starting to bite. 630am

The fish can be up on top and feeding for so long that multiple boats will run their trolling battery out of juice. Even mine was just about out at about 700-730pm when the fish finally stopped. Probably had 2% left and was only going .25 mph. Crazy good days.

The fish are gorging so furiously, that they are getting fat! Just beware of all the shad they're going to barf up on your boat. And of course what they eat, must come out. Prepare for that, #2.

Did you see the fish suspended at 15 to 18 feet, get the slab out and make it as long as the rod. Then, most rods are about 2 foot distance from the reel to the first eyelid of the rod. So if Your rod is 7 foot, make 5 pulls of line from the reel to the first eye. You should be somewhere in the fishes face by then. Raise the rod tip up in the air rapidly like a shad would be, trying to get away from something, and let the Luer pull the rod tip back down to the depths -And repeat. You will start to feel them picking at the lure. Start setting the hook and have fun.

Down Imaging of suspended Sandies in open water.

Two-man limit of white bass, and we stopped at one brush pile to pick out some crappie. Limits of Sandy's usually take less than one hour. Most of the time 20 minutes or less once they surface. Instead of waiting out in the middle of the lake for the Sandy's to start surfacing, go check the points first. We've actually been limiting on Sandy's before they even start busting shad on the surface.

Above you can see dark shadows with round circle shadows. That's a side scan off a submerged tree. The round circles are huge crappie. 15-16' inches. With a few 10-12's mixed in.

And when I'm using a slab, I tie aThump Buddy jig in white and chartreuse above the slab 18 inches.

For crappies, but he's black and chartreuse or white and chartreuse. "Thump Buddies" last on the hook and won't rip apart. Only time you have to replace them, is when you lose your entire hook and jig. They are super tough made of like volleyball material. Impregnated with garlic smell. The fish can't resist.

[Linked Image]

https://CowboyNavy.org ( please sign up if you have a boat )

Contact Number 469-528-0210

Facebook- Carey Thorn Foshing Guide
Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11744559 07/27/16 02:18 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

Above you can see some long round white shapes hanging off the side of the tree on the right side. We pulled 15 big Crappie off the right side of that tree in 15 to 20 minutes. And called it a day. ( meanwhile, Sandy's are blowing up all around my boat)

Catching Giants.

I can't say it any better than this. The fish are in brush piles and timber. The best spots are the spots you cannot see. 10 foot of water all the way out to 25 foot of water on anything submerged. Best depth of submerged structure seems to be 10 foot to 18 foot.

You can catch me up on Facebook @ Carey A Thorn

I've been doing some live video so while you're at work, you can watch the fish in action. A lot of tips tricks locations and videos on my Facebook page. Updated daily

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11744795 07/27/16 04:16 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
See ya posted this wed am but man that's old as dir#@ any report current or is it too hot for ya LOL

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11744811 07/27/16 04:23 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
BTW posted while back about night trips not seen reply????

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #11745345 07/27/16 08:51 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T
Last four pics were yesterday morning. I usually take most Wednesday's off.

Pic a night you want to fish mid August.

[Linked Image]

Re: Lake Lavon Crappie Fishing Guide : Updated Reports & Pictures Weekly [Re: TarponFly] #12832720 07/18/18 04:04 PM
T
TarponFly Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
T

Lake Lavon Fishing Guide Report:

It has been a great year on Numbers. A couple fish are hitting 15 inches but most are 10 1/2 to 13 inches.

My main depths are 8 foot all the way down to 22 foot. If I was to narrow that down a little bit, I would say 12 to 18 foot is key. I was to narrow that down a little bit, I would say 12 to 18 foot is key.

I got a Solix 12 from Shut-Up-And-Fish, and oh my god is this thing awesome. I could tell you exactly how many fish are in a brush pile or sitting on a piece of timber. And I can almost tell you exactly how big they are.

The mega imaging is incredible.

We have been using white and chartreuse jigs on 1/16 oz jig heads. Sometimes we will use 1/8 ounce if it's really windy or there's a current.

On the good days, we can catch a limit of white bass and then switch over and catch a limit of crappie! Lavon is great right now.

Some days brush is better than timber, and then some days timber is better then brush. Every day has been different. I just scan all the structure before I fish it to make sure there is enough fish on it to keep my customers happy. I try not to stop on structure unless it has 15 or more crappie on it.

One other tool that has helped me tremendously that I got off of Shut Up & Fish as well, is the Minkota Ultrex ipilot. I don't have to stand on front of the boat anymore with my foot on the pedal keeping the trolling motor over the structure. I just spot lock next to the structure, and let my clients decimate the crappie population below the boat.

It is a pain in the butt for me to post on here now as I have to send all my pictures to Photobucket and then upload them to hear. These days it's a lot easier for me to post on Facebook. You can look me up at Carey A Thorn on Facebook to see updated information.

I will be having a seminar at Bass Pro Shops in Garland Texas that sits on Lake Ray Hubbard. This will be again July 29 at 2 PM. If you have visual or hearing problems I suggest you get there a little bit early to secure a seat up front as these seminars get tons of people. This seminar will actually be on three different species of fish. Some days it's just too windy to catch crappies. The sandy's are usually always willing to feed. If you want something bigger I will also be covering the black bass. All in one seminar.

In the picture above, from the Solix 12, you can see every single tree in the picture is absolutely filled up with Crappie! It's been a great year so far and it should get even better before the fall hits. If the lake wood to hold a thermocline, it'll be a lot easier to catch these. It's already easy, but it will be easier.

One of the worst things you can do is anchor on top of a brush pile. You end up squishing it and dragging it off of its location. Then you will go back to that spot telling everybody you caught the heck out of the fish only to realize the brush pile is flattened now. Yeah, anchoring on the brush doesn't help your future catching experiences. If you squish it the fish will not come back. This was the next day, in the picture above, after I saw a pontoon boat anchored on this brush pile. This brush pile used to be 12 feet tall. Now it's 3 foot. This picture was taken almost a month ago, now it's just the debris field with no fish.

Word of wisdom, make sure you understand the restricted zones on where you are not allowed to fish. They are not marked very well but if you have GPS they are definitely marked on your GPS mapping system. It's a $450 ticket if you are caught fishing in restricted zone's such as right up against the damn itself, any of the pump stations, or the power plant. The game warden does not care if it is not marked properly. And you will lose in court if you try to fight it anyways. As many people have tried and failed.

It's getting hot outside so Try to drink two bottles of water before you even hit the water. Once you get on the water you'll start catching fish and forget to hydrate yourself.

If you would like to book a trip the easiest way to contact me is via text. I will obviously answer the phone and emails. But a more direct answer would be via text. If you have any questions please text me with your questions and I will answer. Thanks guys have a great week. I have tons and tons of pictures within the last time I posted but y'all get the point. Lavon is just kicking out fish.

[Linked Image]

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide