Forums59
Topics1,039,123
Posts13,959,577
Members144,187
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11686151 06/24/16 01:24 PM
B
BassSAT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Most soft plastics have some type of scent
already "baked" in the plastic.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11686498 06/24/16 03:41 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

some guys used to swear by WD40.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11687688 06/25/16 02:14 AM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
First time I tried WD 40 caught some nice fish. I quit using it in fear the fish might grow a third eye or something freaky ! LOL

It worked anyhow.

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 06/25/16 02:14 AM.
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11688268 06/25/16 04:22 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Interesting posts. The actual science concerning scents seems rather limited.
So in that case I have to go with my own experiences. I believe at times scent did make a difference.
A few times I caught a big bedding bass by totally soaking the bait in crawfish attractant over and over- the surface had a film buildup- lol!- I think a few times it helped to trigger her to bite but I can't be sure. Also, I have been jig or worm fishing very very slowly for non spawning bass and noted an increase in big bass bites using attractant- esp crawfish, shad, or night crawler. Once again, can't be sure but it seemed to get more big bites. When you are sitting there forever waiting for something to hit your lure any little bit of confidence helps!

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Jpurdue] #11688309 06/25/16 04:52 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
"I don't think scent makes a bass more willing to bite."

So I guess all those on the market should take the word, Attractant, off the label.

Let me start out by saying that the guy that makes the ones I use works for a Gov. Facility where all studies recorded cannot be released to the public in any way. I would love to see a video of this. This is what he has told me and I have no reason to doubt him.

In a 100 ft. test tank with no outside interference like wind and currents all test are run on the fresh water species. 12 chum bags, one including the human odor, are hung. Release the fish at the other end and they go directly to the bags and start striking. They strike the natural extracts first and they get twice as many hits as all the rest.

Put a puff of extract through a tube 100 ft. away then open the door and let in a Bass. Within 15 seconds it is all over that area and looking excitedly. Run a scent snake through the water putting out a slight trail of extract; traveling in a zig zag pattern and a Bass will follow that trail exact. Timed test have also been done on each of these with all kinds of scents. A Bass will cut that time of travel in half if the scents are natural scents. Shad is in the top 5 but not number one. Garlic is up there but not in the top 10. Insect Larva is in the top five.

Contrary to Mr. Harper's second hand information on studies which cannot be released publicly, Keith Jones PhD. studied this topic extensively at Berkeley and the information was made public in a book he published called, "Knowing Bass." Summarizing a bit, as I previously stated, scents can increase hold time (night crawler being most effective), but in most practical fishing applications they do not act as an attractant because scent does not diffuse through water very quickly. Where it might work is if you decided to throw out a chum bag of the stuff and then proceeded to cast your scent soaked bait to the same general area for the next hour. Most bass fisherman don't fish that way. Also, as others have previously stated, perhaps more important than anything is masking the scent of odors which could act as deterrents. Bug spray, sun tan lotion, and tobacco being near the top of that list.

I know from my testing that insect repellant with DEET, sun screen SPF-50, grease, outboard oil, gasoline, and a few others I tested do not deter wild bass from taking a soft plastic lure. They may in a laboratory environment with trained bass.

I knew some old timer bass fishermen that would spit tobacco juice on their lures to get more bites. Same BS that some think WD-40 is made of fish oil and is an attractant.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11688389 06/25/16 05:57 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Wayen, my Grand Father chewed Bull-Of-The-Woods Plug Tobacco. He would spit juice on my wad of worms when fishing for Catfish. We always seemed to catch the bigger fish when he did this.

Haven't heard any mention that WD-40 is made of fish oil; but it has been know to work.

We all have done test on our personal baits hoping to get better results. I have always had a hard time telling what works and what doesn't in our lakes because of the few bites that one gets in one day. I could have just got on some fish in that spot; who knows. I like testing these scents in Mexico where the catching can be up there around 100 Bass per day or more. Also half of those can easily be over 5 lb fish. We use counters to click each fish caught so it is quite accurate. Each trip I prepare 6 gallon bags of Brush Hogs and Lizards each containing a different scent. The boats that are fishing with Minnow, Night Crawler or Crayfish will always come in with more and bigger bass than the other boats. Those boats easily have 100 per day and the others run about 70 per day.
We fish 6 days; so by the 3 day no one wants to use the other bags...Go figure. Ha..

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11688411 06/25/16 06:20 PM
TeamHillbilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I think it's more of a cover for our scent I used garlic spray most of the time,even Pam cooking spray has worked for me flehan OMG

Think Fishing
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11688613 06/25/16 09:40 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Ive read studies that say minus a chum bag, attractants do little to move fish towards a non moving bait. Once they take a lure, they quickly hold on or spit it out depending on texture or taste. Oil and gas don't bother them but deet does. I will spray mine occasionally not as an attractant but as a cover scent but can't tell that it actually helps. Plastics, I did the tail in a garlic flavored dye. I seem to catch more fish with it but who knows. I feel that it gives me a little longer to set the hook. I have confidence in that so I use it. It definitely doesn't seem to hurt and the tiny bottle lasts forever.

I believe the eyes and lateral lines play a more important role in the fish biting

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11689361 06/26/16 01:11 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 06/26/16 01:21 PM.
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11690714 06/27/16 04:15 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I saw the coffee flavored plastics a few weeks back in BassPro, and came up with the idea for a new plastic. I'm in the process of making it now...combining these two will be an absolutely killer lure! It may even be banned from most tournaments. I'm calling it "coffee black, cigarette" and you should use it right at sunrise for best results cheers who knows, it may even mend your broken hearts grin

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Wayne P.] #11690817 06/27/16 11:54 AM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
"I don't think scent makes a bass more willing to bite."

So I guess all those on the market should take the word, Attractant, off the label.

Let me start out by saying that the guy that makes the ones I use works for a Gov. Facility where all studies recorded cannot be released to the public in any way. I would love to see a video of this. This is what he has told me and I have no reason to doubt him.

In a 100 ft. test tank with no outside interference like wind and currents all test are run on the fresh water species. 12 chum bags, one including the human odor, are hung. Release the fish at the other end and they go directly to the bags and start striking. They strike the natural extracts first and they get twice as many hits as all the rest.

Put a puff of extract through a tube 100 ft. away then open the door and let in a Bass. Within 15 seconds it is all over that area and looking excitedly. Run a scent snake through the water putting out a slight trail of extract; traveling in a zig zag pattern and a Bass will follow that trail exact. Timed test have also been done on each of these with all kinds of scents. A Bass will cut that time of travel in half if the scents are natural scents. Shad is in the top 5 but not number one. Garlic is up there but not in the top 10. Insect Larva is in the top five.

Contrary to Mr. Harper's second hand information on studies which cannot be released publicly, Keith Jones PhD. studied this topic extensively at Berkeley and the information was made public in a book he published called, "Knowing Bass." Summarizing a bit, as I previously stated, scents can increase hold time (night crawler being most effective), but in most practical fishing applications they do not act as an attractant because scent does not diffuse through water very quickly. Where it might work is if you decided to throw out a chum bag of the stuff and then proceeded to cast your scent soaked bait to the same general area for the next hour. Most bass fisherman don't fish that way. Also, as others have previously stated, perhaps more important than anything is masking the scent of odors which could act as deterrents. Bug spray, sun tan lotion, and tobacco being near the top of that list.

I know from my testing that insect repellant with DEET, sun screen SPF-50, grease, outboard oil, gasoline, and a few others I tested do not deter wild bass from taking a soft plastic lure. They may in a laboratory environment with trained bass.

I knew some old timer bass fishermen that would spit tobacco juice on their lures to get more bites. Same BS that some think WD-40 is made of fish oil and is an attractant.

Grease and gasoline are not water soluble, so they would be undetectable to the taste receptors in a basses mouth. Deet on the other hand, is water soluble and is an extremely strong bass repellent. Again, I'll point you in the direction of peer reviewed repeatable scientific studies. In laboratory settings with bass that had never seen lures (let alone been trained) Keith Jones showed that strikes rates and hold time decreased dramatically for up to 45 minutes with lures exposed to deet. Again, this is published information by a biologist with a PhD. But by all means though if you did a backwoods study and want to douse your baits in insect/fish repellent go right on ahead! That'll leave more for me.

Last edited by Jpurdue; 06/27/16 11:55 AM.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11691193 06/27/16 03:17 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Fishermen are much like golfers in that if they think something will give them an edge, money is no object. Being both I've seen first hand how it works. Fishermen will buy every lure, scent, line, etc. available if they think it will help them catch fish. Golfers are notorious for buying drivers they think will help them hit the ball farther. With over 40 years of doing both, here is what really works. Fishermen, want to catch more and bigger bass? Hire a guide as a teacher and spend all the time possible on the water practicing what you learned. Golfers, want to learn to hit the ball farther and straighter? Hire an instructor and spend lots of time on the range practicing what you learned. KVD didn't win all those tournaments because he uses scent on his lures. Tiger Woods, forget that one, Jack Nicklaus didn't win 18 majors because of the driver he used. I credit my success as a fishermen to hiring Dreabon Joiner when I decided to get serious about bass fishing. The 14.19 I caught was a direct result of his teachings and time on the water. My success as a golfer came as a result of the lessons I got from various instructors and the many hours spent on the range.
If you want to spray something on your lures help yourself, but if there are no fish around it probably ain't gonna help. Just my 2 cents, spend it wisely.
thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11692282 06/27/16 11:24 PM
R
R.J.E. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I was on the bubble, but after this weekend on Choke I have to say that scents do make a difference.

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11692305 06/27/16 11:36 PM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I don't know that I get more bites with a scent, but I'm convinced that they help me catch more fish. With Megastrike on my lure, they don't spit it back out. If I don't feel the bite, I still can still catch them because they don't let go of it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide