Forums59
Topics1,038,811
Posts13,953,171
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11684199 06/23/16 03:05 PM
R
Ranger1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I'm a believer in this stuff

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: UTDmiller] #11684315 06/23/16 03:57 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Waiting on shameless plug...
roflmao

popcorn2
Sorry, just could not resist. BUT, I will not comment further! banana

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684448 06/23/16 05:20 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I can't say it helps but I don't think it hurts. I wear gloves so I will actually put some of the ProCure scent on my fingertips to mask my scent if nothing else when I put on a bait or adjust my bait. ProCure is supposed to be ground up bait so it's all natural but I don't know that for sure.

Last edited by SAKS; 06/23/16 05:21 PM.
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: SAKS] #11684581 06/23/16 06:32 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SAKS
I can't say it helps but I don't think it hurts. I wear gloves so I will actually put some of the ProCure scent on my fingertips to mask my scent if nothing else when I put on a bait or adjust my bait. ProCure is supposed to be ground up bait so it's all natural but I don't know that for sure.

If it a pure extract then it is the product of the that forage. Having it on your hands is a good thing. It just makes it hard to eat your sandwich at lunch. Ha.. Keep a boat towel and hand sanitizer handy when time to eat.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684609 06/23/16 06:46 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I don't think scent makes a bass more willing to bite. However, I do believe that it helps mask human scent and helps the bass hold on longer. I stick to the good ole' BANG garlic scent and shad spray. I use those 2 the most. Berkley GULP Alive spray works really well too. I've tried the BioEdge potion wands in the crawfish scent, but I didn't like it because it melted too much in the sun. I try to stick to the aerosol sprays or spray bottles. I keep it simple: garlic for anything crawfish or bluegill and shad scent for anything "shad-like". It definitely doesn't hurt to add scent.

Last edited by bigbass94; 06/23/16 06:50 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684836 06/23/16 08:34 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Have tested it myself with spinners in very clear ponds. Throw regular inline spinner, maybe a fish or two chase after it. Throw one after spraying it and there is a small crowd of bluegill and young bass next to the shore where I pulled it out of the water. Same spot, different spots, first cast, cast immediately after....doesn't matter.

Bass have scent glands, they use, and it's not to sniff flowers...

Eric

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684877 06/23/16 08:55 PM
L
Leever Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
no

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684910 06/23/16 09:07 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
"I don't think scent makes a bass more willing to bite."

So I guess all those on the market should take the word, Attractant, off the label.

Let me start out by saying that the guy that makes the ones I use works for a Gov. Facility where all studies recorded cannot be released to the public in any way. I would love to see a video of this. This is what he has told me and I have no reason to doubt him.

In a 100 ft. test tank with no outside interference like wind and currents all test are run on the fresh water species. 12 chum bags, one including the human odor, are hung. Release the fish at the other end and they go directly to the bags and start striking. They strike the natural extracts first and they get twice as many hits as all the rest.

Put a puff of extract through a tube 100 ft. away then open the door and let in a Bass. Within 15 seconds it is all over that area and looking excitedly. Run a scent snake through the water putting out a slight trail of extract; traveling in a zig zag pattern and a Bass will follow that trail exact. Timed test have also been done on each of these with all kinds of scents. A Bass will cut that time of travel in half if the scents are natural scents. Shad is in the top 5 but not number one. Garlic is up there but not in the top 10. Insect Larva is in the top five.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684920 06/23/16 09:14 PM
P
papamark Offline
Mini Tractor
Mini Tractor
P
I still believe in what my Grandfather taught me

If they aint bitin, Spit on it,

I will dunk my baits sometimes in coffee that got cold, sometimes it works sometimes it don't. woot

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11684940 06/23/16 09:24 PM
S
Scott-12 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I was told by a classic champion that he believes scents don't work.

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11685235 06/24/16 12:16 AM
H
Hookedup20 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
They work and at times can be the difference. I have seen fish and pitch to them and they don't even give it a look. Spray some scent on it and they kill it. The scent will make a fish hold the bait slightly longer giving a little more time to detect the strike.

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11685912 06/24/16 06:46 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Seems like it's a pretty inconclusive subject, but as others have said, if it gives you confidence, run with it.

Confidence is not inconclusive.

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11685913 06/24/16 06:50 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Also, I have always been a big fan of the Berkley crawfish and worm baits because they do a very good job of "baking" scent into the bait.

I don't really use scent, but I do like to use baits that have it included.

I just really don't like having to mess with it, and I guess, I just don't put enough stock into it to deal with the extra hassle. I have caught a ton of fish on Zoom baits, and they don't have anything at all added to them. Zoom baits smell like fresh plastic.

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Donald Harper] #11686006 06/24/16 11:54 AM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
"I don't think scent makes a bass more willing to bite."

So I guess all those on the market should take the word, Attractant, off the label.

Let me start out by saying that the guy that makes the ones I use works for a Gov. Facility where all studies recorded cannot be released to the public in any way. I would love to see a video of this. This is what he has told me and I have no reason to doubt him.

In a 100 ft. test tank with no outside interference like wind and currents all test are run on the fresh water species. 12 chum bags, one including the human odor, are hung. Release the fish at the other end and they go directly to the bags and start striking. They strike the natural extracts first and they get twice as many hits as all the rest.

Put a puff of extract through a tube 100 ft. away then open the door and let in a Bass. Within 15 seconds it is all over that area and looking excitedly. Run a scent snake through the water putting out a slight trail of extract; traveling in a zig zag pattern and a Bass will follow that trail exact. Timed test have also been done on each of these with all kinds of scents. A Bass will cut that time of travel in half if the scents are natural scents. Shad is in the top 5 but not number one. Garlic is up there but not in the top 10. Insect Larva is in the top five.

Contrary to Mr. Harper's second hand information on studies which cannot be released publicly, Keith Jones PhD. studied this topic extensively at Berkeley and the information was made public in a book he published called, "Knowing Bass." Summarizing a bit, as I previously stated, scents can increase hold time (night crawler being most effective), but in most practical fishing applications they do not act as an attractant because scent does not diffuse through water very quickly. Where it might work is if you decided to throw out a chum bag of the stuff and then proceeded to cast your scent soaked bait to the same general area for the next hour. Most bass fisherman don't fish that way. Also, as others have previously stated, perhaps more important than anything is masking the scent of odors which could act as deterrents. Bug spray, sun tan lotion, and tobacco being near the top of that list.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Bass attraction sprays and jelly. Do they work? [Re: Ryan B] #11686077 06/24/16 12:41 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
A bass is a predator, Sight,Scent,Sound are his three key elements in catching pray. Scents works and I think if you can add all 3 of these to any bait it will increase you catches. IMO

Sprays do not last as longs as jelly's or rub on time baits so I like Smelly Jelly best. Craw fish,garlic,shad are just three of the best but a few others work also.

I have never tried night crawler scents like DH mention but he is correct on flooded lakes where night crawlers are present for sure. I am sure it work most of the time just because it is a natural scent.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide