Razorback Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
R
This is from a Guntersville guide and comes from Jay Kumar's blog:

Quote:

Guntersville Hurting?

Sounds like crazy talk but apparently not.

Fishing guides as well as weekend anglers are in general agreement that in the last 5 years or so, fishing has been on a downturn....

"It used to be that just about anybody with a reasonable knowledge of bass fishing could come here and catch a nice bunch of fish once they learned the basics of the lake," says Mike Carter, one of the busier guides on the lake. "Now, it's almost impossible for people without inside knowledge here to catch much of anything.

I've talked to a lot of visitors in the last year who have come here and just about struck out, and who say they will never come back...every community hole that in the past produced great catches now gets hammered a dozen times a day, with boats lined up to fish the known spots -- any fish that bites immediately goes on a ride to weigh in, and those that remain get wise...."

I fished Guntersville for a week in April of 2010 and it was without a doubt the best fishing trip of my life. We literally caught 3 pound or better fish everywhere we fished and however we fished for them all day every day for a week...well, except for the first day of our tournament, LOL. On the second day we ended up on a grassy flat throwing flukes and I just about caught a three pounder or better on every cast for hours.

We had about 30 pounds for two days and finished in something like 130th place.

Guntersville is a huge lake, and if the Internet and other publicity (magazines, etc.) can cause the fishing there to crash because of overwhelming pressure it can happen to any lake.

Last edited by Razorback; 06/21/16 07:56 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680571 06/21/16 08:17 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Statistics don't lie, never have!

Last edited by InTheClear; 06/21/16 08:18 PM.
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680618 06/21/16 08:37 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Short of a natural calamity such as a major drought or wide spread virus, I believe fishing pressure matters more in terms of its impact on catches rates than just about anything else.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680629 06/21/16 08:46 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
popcorn

Jesus loves all of us
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680630 06/21/16 08:46 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Fishing on any lake cycles. I have fished private lakes like Coon Creek where they have a year that the fishing is off by as much as half. Fish numbers fluctuate, baitfish numbers can fluctuate, hard winters cause a bigger fish die of or grass die off. To try to attribute fishing pressure to the major reason a it is harder to catch fish is ridiculous. It is like saying that quail numbers got so low in Texas for the past 10 years due to hunting pressure.
If statistics never lied then the weatherman would be right more than 50% of the time.

Last edited by 9094; 06/21/16 08:47 PM.
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: 9094] #11680644 06/21/16 08:50 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: 9094
Fishing on any lake cycles. I have fished private lakes like Coon Creek where they have a year that the fishing is off by as much as half. Fish numbers fluctuate, baitfish numbers can fluctuate, hard winters cause a bigger fish die of or grass die off. To try to attribute fishing pressure to the major reason a it is harder to catch fish is ridiculous. It is like saying that quail numbers got so low in Texas for the past 10 years due to hunting pressure.
If statistics never lied then the weatherman would be right more than 50% of the time.

So, going to a farm pond that has never been fished will not be easier than going to a lake that gets hammered day in and day out?

Last edited by UTDmiller; 06/21/16 08:50 PM.

John Miller
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680654 06/21/16 08:58 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
I completely agree lakes cycle. Along with natural phenomena, man is also now a significant factor that can impact that cycle. The US population has increased by over 100 million people since 1980. The number of fisherman has increased proportionately. To think that that many more lines in the water has not had a significant impact is naive.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: UTDmiller] #11680663 06/21/16 09:02 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller

So, going to a farm pond that has never been fished will not be easier than going to a lake that gets hammered day in and day out?

You must be a reporter for MSNBC to have taken my post and deduct that is what I typed. confused

Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: 9094] #11680667 06/21/16 09:05 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: UTDmiller

You must be a reporter for MSNBC to have taken my post and deduct that is what I typed. confused

No i was legitimately asking you, obviously they are both very different bodies of water, but i feel seeing the same lures day in and day out has a good possibility of having an impact on fishing.

Last edited by UTDmiller; 06/21/16 09:07 PM.

John Miller
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Jpurdue] #11680671 06/21/16 09:06 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I completely agree lakes cycle. Along with natural phenomena, man is also now a significant factor that can impact that cycle. The US population has increased by over 100 million people since 1980. The number of fisherman has increased proportionately. To think that that many more lines in the water has not had a significant impact is naive.

^

John Miller
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Jpurdue] #11680684 06/21/16 09:17 PM
R
Razorback Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
R

In addition to the increase in population is the instantaneous dispersal of information. In 1980 if you wanted a fishing report you read Bassmaster Magazine, read the newspaper, or asked a friend who had actually been to the lake. Most fishermen fished the lakes in their areas instead of reading on the Internet or seeing on a live video stream that the fishing is hot (at the moment) on a lake like Falcon or Guntersville and driving 8-15 hours to go there instead.

Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680711 06/21/16 09:34 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: Razorback

In addition to the increase in population is the instantaneous dispersal of information. In 1980 if you wanted a fishing report you read Bassmaster Magazine, read the newspaper, or asked a friend who had actually been to the lake. Most fishermen fished the lakes in their areas instead of reading on the Internet or seeing on a live video stream that the fishing is hot (at the moment) on a lake like Falcon or Guntersville and driving 8-15 hours to go there instead.

This is also a great point to bring up. I appreciate Eric Wright's reports and from what I have read and heard he is an outstanding man and guide, but I can guarantee you after his Holbrook report that little lake is about to get hammered. It's just how it works now. Same with Athens. I am always stunned by how many boats are there during the week when I pull up. I counted 28 on a Monday morning. The Internet is killing lakes too. I don't blame guys for hitting hotter lakes, but again, it's a fact. People hear a lake is on fire and they head that way. It's the world we live in now.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680723 06/21/16 09:43 PM
B
Brandon Adamcik Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Lake Arlington is on fire.

Czechfish
Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680747 06/21/16 09:54 PM
Atta Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
How is the stocking numbers? Are the wildlife departments still sticking bass in these lakes at a high rate. I read something a while back about TPWD and how they stocked. Basically it was fork, Hubbard, and a few others while leaving out a ton of other lakes. I don't follow it much but I'm sure that has something to do with it all as well.

Re: What fishing pressure does to a lake [Re: Razorback] #11680813 06/21/16 10:33 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
4-5 years ago was fishing on Falcon....up that river north of county ramp and back in a cove that ran off the river....water had been falling and as we fished down the bank,there was small tree sticking out of the water and I could see what looked like a crankbait hung in the tree.....I eased over there and there was a piece of net tangled around the tree about the size of a dinner plate.....and there were FOUR crankbaits,a rusty jig head and a texas rigged worm hung in this small piece of net....there wasn't really anymore room to hang up another bait in the net.....
I mention this because it happened in may and every one of the crankbaits were almost new and I'm pretty sure none of them had been in that net over a few months....the jig and texas rigged worm were older....think about this a minute...how many fishermen had to fish that cove for there to be 4 crankbaits lost to a plate size piece of net....I'm gonna guess several hundred fishermen had fished that cove with various baits in the last 6 months...
incidentally,three of those crankbaits were KVD squarebills...two sexy shad and one black/chartreuse...the other crankbait was very similar to KVD squarebill in a shad color but don't know who makes it...
I took a picture of those crankbaits and piece of net and wish I could post it but it's on my laptop which is at computer place being fixed(I hope)...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide