Print Thread
bass this time of year..... #11679079 06/21/16 12:54 AM
R
Ryno Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
I have such a difficult time with off-shore bass fishing. It's to the point where it's pretty frustrating. I'll idle around looking for fish on my 1198c humm. i'll find what I think are fish.......for example I was on Arbuckle lake in southern Oklahoma.....marked a ton of fish on a main lake point.....I tried shakey head, drop shot, carolina rig, crankbait and top water closer to shore in the evening. I was using a ring fry on the carolina rig and felt what I thought were bites....set the hook and the ring fry would be pulled down the hook. That happened a few times. Never resulted in a hook up. Not sure what it was.

I was on Lake Murray in OK on the south end looking for smallies and fished two main lake humps that had 50/60ft of water around the hump that came all the way up to 14 feet. Should have been fish there i'd think. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you Lord for the gifts in my life
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679145 06/21/16 01:16 AM
H
hillcountryredraider Offline
Angler
Angler
H
You seem to have the same thoughts as me!

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679151 06/21/16 01:21 AM
Bruce Allen Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
suggest you hire a guide for at least a 1/2 day on one of those lakes to get back on track or perhaps go to partner finder for a lake you want to fish on and try getting someone to take you out

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679161 06/21/16 01:27 AM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Might not have been bass you marked.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: hillcountryredraider] #11679189 06/21/16 01:35 AM
C
Chris_K Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: hillcountryredraider
You seem to have the same thoughts as me!

X3

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679223 06/21/16 01:54 AM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I usually crank places that fish should be, not necessarily only where I see them. The most important thing when deep cranking is your setup and fishing the right depth. If wind and waves allow, crank a spot first before you fish a worm or jig slow. It's much easier to fish a moving lure in deep water as opposed to Fishing a slow presentation lure.

Catch them cranking first so that you know they are there. Then try other lures to see if you can catch some more.

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679274 06/21/16 02:19 AM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I try and do some of this all year, having good graphs is crucial. I have no idea what the model numbers mean for HB. For me personally I had Lowrance HD gen 1, upgrade to HDS Touch Gen 2 and it is night and day.

But there are still a lot of days I don't catch many, I have found that finding them is one challenge, the next is getting them to bite. If they are suspended away from the structure I'm not even good enough to try, so I just keep looking.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679289 06/21/16 02:24 AM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You just have to keep at it, there's nothing move valuable than lessons learned while spending time on the water.
Several possible reasons your not catching may be:
1. Not bass. Look at your electronics when you do catch them and notice how they are set up. There are also lots of pics and videos on the net showing feeding bass.

2. Not feeding. Bass do not eat all the time. Most of the time it's a timing thing on when a school is going to feed. Now you may be able to get them fired up by running a crankbait through them several times. You may also need to change angles. I've seen times when I could only get bit if coming from a certain direction.

3. Not the right bait. Most of the times color doesn't matter too much but I've seen times where it did. Lots of times I can catch them on either moving baits or soft plastics but not both. Try throwing a couple different colors and sizes, before moving on.

Good luck and don't get discouraged, keep at em and you'll eventually get them figured out.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Bruce Allen] #11679290 06/21/16 02:25 AM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
suggest you hire a guide for at least a 1/2 day on one of those lakes to get back on track or perhaps go to partner finder for a lake you want to fish on and try getting someone to take you out

Bruce take me fishing on fork.... Lunch, gas, ramp, and beer, if you drink, on me... Bass fishing of course.

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679315 06/21/16 02:38 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Bass fishing can be really frustrating some time. A lot of the time I feel like I'm just practicing my casting and then I see top professionals zero and realize it's not all me. The way I look at it, if it was easy Muslims would be doing it. Now don't get political on me. clap

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679328 06/21/16 02:42 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
As I approach a point or hump looking for fish lets say in 40 ft. of water and I am seeing a lot of suspended fish at 20 ft. When I get to that point or hump I can count on the feeding fish to also be on the side connected to that point and or on top of it at 20ft. This is your magic depth that I call it.

I use a C-Rig with as light of a weight as I can get by with. I start with a Baby Brush hog first then the big brush hog when I catch something. I am after the bigger Bass so I want the slightly larger bait at that depth. If they are up shallower as I may be seeing fish suspended around the hump or point at 10 ft. before I get there then that will be the magic depth and I will stay with the smaller baits that will make long cast, like the Lake Fork Fry, Fluke and Senko. You cannot drag over the shallow water fish; so stay back and cast to that 10 ft. depth. The Bass attached to the hump or point at 20 ft. can be passed over as you drift with the wind staying on that 20 ft. contour all the way around it. Use your TM to slow and control the boat speed on your drift. Keep moving until you get bit. Some times I will throw out a buoy every time I catch a fish as I drift around the contour and then come back and pick those places apart with my custom Baby Doll Jig.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11679372 06/21/16 03:12 AM
B
Big Kev Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Find a brick and start building. I know that sounds easier than it is. After a couple of years of frustration, for me it was going out with Slade on Fork. After he tuned my graphs we looked around at some fish. Then the picture started to get a little clearer in my mind. Then I went chasing White Bass on Fork (shooting fish in a barrel, good practice). I started to notice some minor differences between the sand bass and some other fish. Then I started catching the occasional LMB with the Sand Bass while seeing the differences. Long story short when you do get good at using your graph you will be able to tell what size bass is on the bottom and if they are actively feeding or not. I did that a couple of weeks ago to a buddy of mine on Rayburn. I told him there are 2 and 3 pounders down there. He looked at me like?????? So we placed a buoy marker just past them and started fishing. We caught a couple of 2.5 and 3lb bass. I really enjoyed being able to call that one. I guess I am just trying to say keep plugging away at it and it will come together. One more little nugget, told to me by Kurt Dove. Give it roughly 20 minutes and if those Bass are not biting, move on. In my simple mind this does a couple of things. It does not get you down if they do not bite plus you get more practice at it each trip. The more you practice it the sooner you will get that first brick.

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Squirrely Dan] #11680691 06/21/16 09:20 PM
Bigron119 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
Might not have been bass you marked.

thumb

Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11681229 06/22/16 02:38 AM
R
Ryno Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
R
Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the suggestions. There are times I lock my rod lockers and purposely leave the key at home and just drive around looking at my HB 1198c. It's a great graph and I think I have it set up correctly but who knows. I may just do the guide thing for a day hopefully he can teach how to maximize my graph to suit my needs. I know I'm not using it to it's fullest potential. But I do like the suggestions offered and will give them a try.

THANK YOU

Thank you Lord for the gifts in my life
Re: bass this time of year..... [Re: Ryno] #11681403 06/22/16 04:51 AM
L
legendruns1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I will tell you this, sometimes I have to hit 20 spots before I will find a few bites. The more spots you can mark and fish in a day the better your odds of hooking up. Like someone else said on here it is a timing thing. As far as the fish you were marking and getting bites from, a lot of times it is white bass. They will also hit the weight on a Carolina rig as well but mostly just bite on the tail of whatever you are throwing on the business end of the c-rig. look at how the school is positioned on your graph. Bass will usually be positioned horizontally on the cover. Whites will usually suspend laterally in the water column. Also, i have found that if I mark a school of say 5 to 8 bass on a spot, it seems like they are easier to catch than the larger schools. You may only catch a few but they are usually the good ones. I just have more confidence fishing smaller groups. I'm by no means a pro with a graph, I just have a lot of time spent on it. I'm still learning lots. I promise you will get better with time. Just stay at it.

^ ^ ^
^ ^^ ^
^^ ^ ^^ :::
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ...... ^^^
______________ ____\ /^^

School on the left I would assume is whites
School on the right is what I would target
5 bass relating to a brush pile or log with bait present.
99% of the time I will not get bit if no bait is present.

If you dont take a chance at losing,then you wont ever win!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide