Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,853
Posts13,935,627
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and TUNA... #11678339 06/20/16 07:09 PM
M
Mark's Fence Repair Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
So I went down to the coast to see what I could catch. I was hoping for something exotic.... the first fish I caught was a black drum-

I went out a little bit farther and we managed to catch one Spanish mackerel on a kvd bass lure

I took my friend Scott the crab guy fishing and we managed this black drum on light tackle-

We ended up with this little bag of fish to eat...

I had been hanging out inshore for a few days the weather was sooo nasty. The forecast said tornadoes so we headed right for them. A little trolling and we got our next trash fish:

It was raining but we pushed through maybe 70 miles out the weather cleared up and we found this thing (medusa)

We managed to catch several trash fish here, most notably a 7 ft hammerhead shark and a big barracuda.

So we were sick. About 4 days fishing and no tuna. I had done my calculations and I knew I still had some gas when we came back so I figured... we can go a little farther. Mars is where the big fish are busting up. We left out at 5 am to go straight to the floaters. No more stopping to catch trash fish just hammer down till we see it-

So now we made it but all the bait in the live well is dead and floating upside down from the 4s and 5s we went through on the way out. The sabiki rig doesn't work this far out. No way to catch bait this far offshore. We trolled around and caught a dorado.
My friend goes downstairs with a spear gun and shoots an oceanic triggerfish.
I found that when I put something down here for bait it got snipped off like nothing. The bigger the rig and the deeper the water the bigger the trash fish. By this time I can see monster size tuna shooting up out of the water eating them intelligent bluerunners that know better than to hit my favorite Slab jig that I usually use for sandbass. It was about this time I realized we may not be ready for this. So we drove back. South wind. Ate up 65 gallons on the way back. Easy. We stopped by my lucky number 122 and picked up some reef fish.
I caught a scorpion fish.

Skip a day and we're back at the gas station buying $350 worth of gas at 2.61, non ethanol. Straight to the floaters. This time were going to troll a little since we know we have enough gas to make it back let's burn it all.

Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and other trash fish... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11678369 06/20/16 07:19 PM
M
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M

For some reason the blue water was moving out. we tried trolling around the first floater as the rip line was heading right towards us. I kept going around the platform trying to hang my baits on the rig... all of the sudden I see a 25 ft long whale shark. I went strait for the gopro but he was moving. My son goes straight for the gaff and begs me to spear it. I was in a different world as one of my reoccurring dreams has been me going out here and meeting this creature. The whale swam off and as we sit there stunned I realize all the trolling lures are wrapped up with the motor and everything else. F the whale we're looking for marlin. This day we saw the whale at 10 o'clock in the morning at the Medusa rig. after that we were in a quagmire. we couldn't concentrate, we kept looking for the whale... we didn't fish right the rest of the day. We fished at least until 2 am with nothing. By the time we made it back to the camp it was the next day. The vacation is almost over. Some guy I met at the dock is saying maybe we should go with him on his yacht, maybe he can teach me a thing or 2. So I get organized, I'm gonna be a deckhand. The time comes and plans change. No room for a trash fisherman on a yacht. Seas are at 3-4. We have 1 day left. It's already 1pm but I figure what the hell let's go back. We are now real choppy in the slop. Not a good day to go out 100 miles but I push it up to 40 rpms and just try to keep the salt water out of my eyes. I stopped at this rig to try to get bait, I was catching 5 bluerunners at a time here with the sabiki

We made it to the rigs and the tuna were there, I can see them on the fish finder. The guy at the dock said to put a small bluerunners on with no weight and just let out line. So I did and after losing 6 baits I finally hooked on to something good. I fought and reeled and I was excited. It felt like a small tuna so I was happy, maybe I would finally catch one... this time I had brought my girlfriend and my stepdaughter. They were both sick and asleep so I was use to running the whole circus act by myself as hard as it was. So I pull this fish up and I can see it, the hook is in the tail!? I thought maybe it was the bait still on there and somehow it was ripping out drag? But no I could tell this was a new kind of fish. I swear it happened in slow motion. I reached out and touched the tail of that tuna like I was gonna grab it and the hook just came right off. The hook came loose from the fish as I touched it and he fell in the water and swam away. I had 1 bait left but a shark took it. Luckily I have a reason to go back now, maybe next time I'll hook that tuna in the lip.

Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and other trash fish... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11679509 06/21/16 07:20 AM
B
B_vandy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Sounds like a good trip even thought you didn't get your tuna.. You did get some good pics and it looks like you still caught some really good fish.. I'd suggest you get yourself some poppers and jigs and try those.. I mean live bait is hard beat but it's always better to have a back up plan. Every tuna I've ever caught has been in a OTI popper, OTI jig, tackle house Flitz or Magaroin jerk bait.. Nothing like watching a tuna blow up on a big popper and much easier to keep up with.

Last edited by B_vandy; 06/21/16 07:41 AM.

[Linked Image]PB 38# May 05 [Linked Image] 33# May 05[Linked Image]38 3/4" x 23 3/8" Aug 11
Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and other trash fish... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11680180 06/21/16 04:38 PM
M
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Yes I had a jig and while I was reeling it in I saw a fish following it, no take downs though. I like to put the jig down and stick it in the rod holder while the boat is bobbing up and down let the ocean do the work for me...

Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and other trash fish... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11688957 06/26/16 02:22 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Good times.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and other trash fish... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11689780 06/26/16 05:52 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
awesome

Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and other trash fish... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11690082 06/26/16 08:44 PM
C
Capt Rod Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Congrats on trip.
Tell Mark I thought those White Costa's I sold him would have brought better luck!!!!
Moved our trailer to Port O'Connor last week. Headed back down Wednesday with boat for the rest of the summer.
Fishing Cula Roja tournament next week, 8th and 9th.

Tight Lines.

Capt Rod
817-454-2710

Capt Rod
Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and TUNA... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11690098 06/26/16 08:54 PM
C
Capt Rod Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Congrats on trip.
Tell Mark I thought those White Costa's I sold him would have brought better luck!!!!
Moved our trailer to Port O'Connor last week. Headed back down Wednesday with boat for the rest of the summer.
Fishing Cula Roja tournament next week, 8th and 9th.

Tight Lines.

Capt Rod
817-454-2710

Capt Rod
Re: Fishing for SHARKS, BARRACUDA, JACK CARAVELLE, and TUNA... [Re: Mark's Fence Repair] #11695961 06/29/16 06:45 PM
M
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Thanks captain rod! I should have took your advice and trolled with Ballyhoo instead of cut mullet!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide