Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,039,177
Posts13,960,410
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
How Hard is it for a Newbie to Find a Tag-a-Long Group or Partner to Fish With? #11676700 06/19/16 10:31 PM
M
MUHerd Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Hey all,

I am wanting to get a fly rig and do some fishing for carp in these urban waters that surround Houston. It looks like so much fun and it's something I have wanted to do for a while now.

There is something else I am curious about and that is how hard it will be to find experienced fly fishermen (or women) that wouldn't mind having me tag-a-long with them or their group to learn from them and get advice and experience.

I know it can get tedious when someone new is along when all you want to do is go out for a great day on the water. Many times the last thing you want to have around is someone that's saying "hey, can I ask you another question" or "why are you doing it that way" and a myriad of other questions likely to come up with a new fly fisherman.

In addition to carp and bass, since I would have the bigger rod and reel, I'd also like to try fishing for redfish or anything else that bites and can be caught on a fly. I haven't even looked up fly fishing for redfish, I don't even know if it's something that's commonly done.

Anyway, can you all tell me how hard it is or will be in finding others that would allow me to go fishing with them and ask questions and learn? I know it would be much, MUCH easier if I were a kid (or a good lookin' young lady), but I'm neither. I'm an aging guy transplanted from West Virginia that has been accused of talking way too much and asking too many questions.....
smile

What do you all think?

Thanks for your continued help.

Re: How Hard is it for a Newbie to Find a Tag-a-Long Group or Partner to Fish With? [Re: MUHerd] #11676823 06/19/16 11:50 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
It is pretty darn easy to find folks that will help you learn more about fly fishing.

There are several fly fishing clubs in the Houston area. Find the one that is closest to you and go visit.

What will you find at a fly fishing club?

You'll find a bunch of folks that are interested in fly fishing.

Most people get involved in the club's because they are either want to learn more about it or they are looking for someone to fish with or both. You'll also find people that are happy to share what they know.

Check out the local clubs. They're a great resource for learning to fly fish.

Good luck!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: How Hard is it for a Newbie to Find a Tag-a-Long Group or Partner to Fish With? [Re: MUHerd] #11676828 06/19/16 11:52 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would get in touch with these folks
https://texasflyfishers.org
the Houston Fly Fishing Club, to start with. I've found that flyfishing clubs are a fine bunch to hang out, fish with.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide