Print Thread
Longears #11664754 06/13/16 08:30 PM
F
Flags Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
F
Got into a bunch of longear sunfish at Purtis Creek over the weekend. Caught a bunch like this guy:

Wish I could lie and say I was a true sportsman and turned them all loose but to be honest they had a date with the cornmeal and bacon grease that night. They were downright tasty!

Retired Navy Chief Signalman
NJROTC Instructor Tascosa High School
Re: Longears [Re: Flags] #11664795 06/13/16 08:41 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Nice fish Flags. Those are actually Red Breast sunfish.

Re: Longears [Re: Flags] #11664807 06/13/16 08:47 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Here is a picture of a typical long ear sunfish

Re: Longears [Re: J-Moe] #11664853 06/13/16 09:11 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: J-Moe
Nice fish Flags. Those are actually Red Breast sunfish.

Plus #1. Nice fish. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Longears [Re: Flags] #11665193 06/13/16 11:32 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Nice fish. Yep very good eating also. Released to the grease! food

Re: Longears [Re: Flags] #11666195 06/14/16 02:11 PM
H
highcountry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Although most of us here are into conservation of the resource, we DO bring a few home for the skillet occasionally... wink Jos and I don't keep the big ol' breeders, however. Particularly smaller lakes like Purtis and Athens could lose their ability to produce trophy sunfish, if too many of the big boys are kept. It takes several years to grow trophy sunfish, so although rebound might be possible, it would take some time. I lost an amazing bluegill fishery many years ago in Colorado, and it never did return to its former glory.

Harvesting Fish

"It is difficult to provide general, statewide bass and blue-
gill size and harvest limits that will predictably produce
large bluegill. In most cases, no more than 50 adult
bluegill should be harvested per acre per year. Excessive
harvesting of bluegill can deplete the number of large
fish available. Keep in mind that it normally takes at least
6 years for a bluegill to reach 8 inches in length."

From another article...

"Which is the year I caught my first sixteen-ounce bluegill. A public lake near my hometown had been drained and re-stocked four years earlier and was putting out numbers of bluegill over ten inches. Word got out quickly, and within a year of when the big ones showed up, the lake had been hammered with fishing pressure and the lakes population of bruiser gills had been decimated, never to recover. But I was able to get in on the tail-end of its glory: I had three magical trips, for which I caught at least one pounder bluegill each trip, and two of the trips I had two that weighed a pound each. The average weight of the fish on the best trip was fourteen ounces. My life would never be the same. My bass obsession was obliterated like a scud missile thats been intercepted by a Patriot."

...and another...

"What happens is when a male bluegill becomes sexually mature, his growth potential slows dramatically. If trophies are the goal, then you want your bluegills to be late bloomers. If all the big male bluegills have been taken from their spawning beds, then the younger, smaller males immediately become sexually mature and their growth slows."

When big alpha males are present, the young bucks dont waste their energy trying to spawn. Instead, they focus on eating until they become bigger and stronger than the resident alpha males. Its important to have the biggest and best males reproducing and keeping the other younger males from becoming mature too soon. The biggest damage you can do to a bluegill fishery is to remove the big spawning males. Over time you can drastically change the dynamics of the entire population. Its recommended that all males over 8 inches be released."

Last edited by highcountry; 06/14/16 03:46 PM.

Re: Longears [Re: highcountry] #11666931 06/14/16 06:58 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: highcountry
Although most of us here are into conservation of the resource, we DO bring a few home for the skillet occasionally... wink Jos and I don't keep the big ol' breeders, however. Particularly smaller lakes like Purtis and Athens could lose their ability to produce trophy sunfish, if too many of the big boys are kept. It takes several years to grow trophy sunfish, so although rebound might be possible, it would take some time. I lost an amazing bluegill fishery many years ago in Colorado, and it never did return to its former glory.

Harvesting Fish

From another article...

"Which is the year I caught my first sixteen-ounce bluegill. A public lake near my hometown had been drained and re-stocked four years earlier and was putting out numbers of bluegill over ten inches. Word got out quickly, and within a year of when the big ones showed up, the lake had been hammered with fishing pressure and the lakes population of bruiser gills had been decimated, never to recover. But I was able to get in on the tail-end of its glory: I had three magical trips, for which I caught at least one pounder bluegill each trip, and two of the trips I had two that weighed a pound each. The average weight of the fish on the best trip was fourteen ounces. My life would never be the same. My bass obsession was obliterated like a scud missile thats been intercepted by a Patriot."

...and another...

"What happens is when a male bluegill becomes sexually mature, his growth potential slows dramatically. If trophies are the goal, then you want your bluegills to be late bloomers. If all the big male bluegills have been taken from their spawning beds, then the younger, smaller males immediately become sexually mature and their growth slows."

When big alpha males are present, the young bucks dont waste their energy trying to spawn. Instead, they focus on eating until they become bigger and stronger than the resident alpha males. Its important to have the biggest and best males reproducing and keeping the other younger males from becoming mature too soon. The biggest damage you can do to a bluegill fishery is to remove the big spawning males. Over time you can drastically change the dynamics of the entire population. Its recommended that all males over 8 inches be released."

Plus #1. Great information HC! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Longears [Re: banker-always fishing] #11667556 06/15/16 12:20 AM
F
Fishing_4_Life Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: highcountry

Harvesting Fish

From another article...

...and another...

Plus #1. Great information HC! cheers

Plus #2

Re: Longears [Re: Flags] #11668598 06/15/16 02:19 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Nice fish.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread