Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,949
Posts13,956,253
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? #11663985 06/13/16 03:53 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Hey All,

Was currently looking for some new fishing shades and was wondering what other's experiences were with mirrored lenses in Freshwater. I do understand the mirror layer is more than just an aesthetic and does serve a purpose (in the higher end polarized glasses anyway). My understanding is that it further reduces light transmission in especially bright environments like you might find on the ocean. Anyhow, I've been chasing carp for a few years now and had an interesting experience after I handed my sling pack to a buddy one day lat year out on the flats at Ray Roberts. We were working our way across the flats and were separated by perhaps a hundred yards and I noticed a quite brilliant flash coming off the strap of my sling pack. I immediately realized what it was. It was a barely 1" wide cheap zinger I used for forceps to keep them handy. It had a chrome finish like this one: http://www.lelandfly.com/Red-Truck-Nipper-Zinger-image.jpg

The fact that a 1" piece of polished metal could flash that brightly like a signal mirror really left an impression on me. A quick hit with a rattle can of flat black solved the problem, but it got me thinking about light reflections and my preference for mirrored lenses might or might not have been responsible for at least some of the thousands of fish I've spooked over the years.

Anyhow, since 95% of my fishing if freshwater chasing bass, trout, carp, etc. and more often than not (carp flats excluded) I'm usually fishing in environments that are not super bright I was thinking I should probably forgo the mirrored lenses and stick with good old copper. Aesthetically speaking, I certainly like the look of the mirrored lenses, but maybe they are not the best idea when sneaking up on an a beaver pond or working your way down the river bank looking for feeding carp. However, than again I might be way overthinking this. The trend to towards highly polished anodized reels seems to fly in the face of any concerns over reflectivity. Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this one way or the other.

Hope 2016 has treated you all well so far.

Last edited by winchester44; 06/13/16 04:02 PM.
Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11664037 06/13/16 04:08 PM
C
coolpix9 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Sunglasses just put you on par with many fish. I say wear them proudly !

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11664338 06/13/16 06:00 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
You bring up good points and questions.

I suspect that mirrored glasses can be a hindrance in fishing for visible fish, if the sun happens to glare off of them.

My experience is that most fish (exceptions abound as always) are extremely wary of any movement or oddity above the water. I've experimented and am convinced that they can even tell when a new element is added to the sky line, and that they are more easily spooked by brightly colored clothing than by dull colored clothing.

I may be anthropomorphizing here, but fish in shallow water (such as in the Brazos when it is low enough to wade) are under constant attack by birds that eat fish. There must be a dozen species of birds around here that eat fish. Kingfishers, cormorants, herons, and egrets are dirt common. There are others and some that migrate. So I suspect that is why fish are so aware of what is above the surface, and physics would indicate that if I can see them, they can see me.

I've also found that when the water surface is disturbed by wind or rain that fish tend to spread out more and to bite more readily - possibly because the disturbed water provides them with visual protection from their avian predators.

So, having said all that, I suspect that shiny things reflecting light can lead to spooked fish.

Just one man's opinion.

LT

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: Lloyd5] #11664530 06/13/16 07:02 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Good info, I've definitely had the same experience in the rain. Bringing up the stalking fishing birds like a Great Blue Heron is a great point. One might look to them for examples. I used to wear a bright white buff and nixed that as well. If you've ever spent time in a low altitude aircraft it's incredible how much a pale skinned face like mine stands out from the background when they look up at you. Stay safe out there on the Brazos. I have spent quite a bit of time canoeing between PK and Grandbury. Where do you fish? Have really enjoyed your posts. Hopefully with all these epic releases we will see some more fish in the river, maybe even some more big striper that eluded me all winter. Don't know how well they will stand up to the summer heat though.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11664698 06/13/16 08:05 PM
C
coolpix9 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
What about all these tournament fishermen. Their boats are brightly painted, their shirts look like NASCAR,the only thing they cover is their faces and I am pretty sure that has to do with skin cancer.Would those guys earn more money in a 12 foot camo John boat wearing camo wife beaters from WalMart ?
I love to dress the part of a part of a pro but I know I would be happier fishing from my recliner. Cheers,JP

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11664896 06/13/16 09:25 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I fish a one mile stretch about 9 river miles below lake whitney dam. I also have a creek on the edge of my property and fish the mouth, where it enters the Brazos. When the river is low enough and the light just right I can watch the fish in the creek like an aquarium. The bank I stand on is about twenty feet above the water then.

I've watched how the fish react to me up there on the bank. As soon as I move into view (there's some brush I can also stand behind like a blind) they move away to where I can no longer see them. They are very sensitive to my presence. Once I was watching when a bird flew over and they darted out of sight quickly. Later a buzzard's shadow crossed right over on large bass and it didn't react at all. The buzzard was way up high and at an angle, out of the fish's view. The shadow to that bass looked like something on the bottom moving and didn't frighten it at all. As soon as I eased slowly into view the bass went and hid.

If fish were color blind we'd only use one gray color for all flys and lures, I'm convinced they can see color, so it just seems logical they can see our clothing colors and the brighter the colors the more likely they are to see it. That's my thoughts anyway.

Tournament fishermen have an advertising function so maybe the flashy boats and clothing is a requirement of their sponsors. Maybe.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: Lloyd5] #11665020 06/13/16 10:05 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Nice, have seen some monster fish in that stretch. TPW has tagged some very large gator gar out of there.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11665495 06/14/16 01:28 AM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
I would be more concerned with the mirrored sunglasses reflecting all the UV light back onto my nose.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11665604 06/14/16 02:25 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Polarization is the only thing that matters when it comes to fishing sunglasses period. Mirrored lenses with polarization work for bluebird skies and sunny days no mirror polarization and smoke colored lenses for cloudier days either way the polarization is what cuts the glare to let you see into the water better. I have some that are really light for a very early morning and late day it's unbelievable how much difference the polarization makes but that is the key aspect into finding a good pair of Fishing sunglasses. Throw a bright red bag of Doritos up on your dash mid day without sunglasses and look at it you can see it but put polarized sunglasses on it is gone.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: Robert Hunter] #11666391 06/14/16 03:26 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Thanks Robert, excellent point I should have made earlier.
Yes the glasses I'm looking are definitely polarized. Specifically the Smith Chromapop and Costa Del Mar 580G.
Just with spending that kind of money, want to get the best lens for what I most commonly fish for.
Leaning towards the non-mirrored at this point.

Interesting article on the two lense technologies http://www.itinerantangler.com/blog/podcasts/2014/06/10/smith-chromapop-and-costa-580-technology/

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11666629 06/14/16 05:05 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
My Colorado friends all swear by Smith Chromapops for moving water and changing conditions.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: Golfer Jeff] #11666826 06/14/16 06:17 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
THanks Golfer Jeff.

Pretty good deal here, claim to be both Chromapop and Polarchromic (lenses darkens in bright light, lightens in low light)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7WH7G0/ref=twister_B00BTCVG9M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

- Likely will pull the trigger on these.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11668069 06/15/16 04:19 AM
J
jonesy_84 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I use Smith glasses in polarchromic glass ignitor lens. They do darken some when it gets bright out. Used to wear costa 580g In green mirror. Great lens just too dark for early/late/overcast conditions which seems to be the case the majority of the time I'm out. Took a bit to get used to the ignitor lens whenever it's bright out but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11670660 06/16/16 10:04 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
My Costa 580G are great on a bay flat with intense sun. Early morning or cloudy days not so much. I have the green mirror over a copper base. Costa makes gray, amber, and copper base lenses without mirror.

I don't have any experience with Smith. I vote glass lenses on which ever you get. Plastic does and will scratch if you are like me and many others. Our world is full of abrasive particles and some of those will find a way onto your lenses. Plastic, poly carbonate, doesn't stand a chance in the long run.

Re: Mirrored Sunglass Lenses- Good or Bad Idea for Freshwater? [Re: winchester44] #11673660 06/17/16 07:47 PM
W
winchester44 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
W
Thanks for all the input all! Conversation seems to be steering towards Smith Tech vs. Costa tech. This was definitely not my intent. Both are great! The original question was thay while I understand the mirrors do have a function in blocking additional light which you definitely would want under certain conditions, I was just curious to hear others' thoughts on the idea of attaching two small mirrors to your face when stalking shallow freshwater species. Basically, weather the mirrored lenses in bright sun might be spooking fish or if I'm overthinking it.

Also, just as an FYI, just got the following current repair price info from Costa

1. $11.95 for repair processing
2. $49.95 for complete frame replacement if they determine its negligent (like you sat on them), if not they will replace frames for free.
3. $89.95 Cost to upgrade from 400G to 580G lenses. (including mirrored versions)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide