Print Thread
Bank fishing around the Austin metro area #11662082 06/12/16 02:05 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Hey all. I've been into saltwater fishing for a long time now; mainly because I have no access to a boat for freshwater and I've caught a hell of a lot more fish on the shore/off the pier at the coast than bank fishing around here. That being said, it's been a while. I don't have access to a boat around here. Looking to build a freshwater tackle box and a good all-around spinning rod/reel setup that will suit me for bank fishing around central Texas. I've looked into the Stradic CI4+, maybe 2500, with a St. Croix rod. I prefer quality product because I take care of my gear and make it last forever. Links to products would be appreciated.

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11662645 06/12/16 09:38 PM
B
bobcatfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Depends on what youre going to be fishing for catfish, or gar you can repurpose your salt gear or get an abu garcia 6500 c3. For bass or crappie a fast action rod with a low profile reel will suit you. I dont bass fish much so i cant help you too much there but i hear good things about the shimano low profiles.

Last edited by bobcatfisher; 06/12/16 09:39 PM.
Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11663307 06/13/16 03:25 AM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Fishing for whatever is biting smile I haven't fished the freshwater lakes around here enough to know what to fish for and at what time of year. Like I said in my original post, just looking for good options for lures/baits for all-around fishing. I'm familiar with the T-Rig and C-Rig. I'm familiar with drop-shotting and pitching too, although I don't need to do that much at the coast so I don't have a lot of practice. When you say low profile, are you referring to baitcasters? I have an old Abu baitcaster that I play around with in the backyard every once in a while. I'd need some practice before investing in a nice one. I've heard nothing but good things about the Stradics, not to mention they're rated for saltwater as well. I use a couple different sizes of Penn Battle II's for my saltwater setups. The Stradic sounds appealing as I can use it for light tackle usage at the coast. Plus, they're super lightweight so having to walk around the lake/pond, etc. and casting a lot wouldn't fatigue me. Now, being that I'll be bank fishing freshwater, maybe I need to invest more time into re-learning how to use my baitcaster properly because of the precision. I guess I can come up with reel/rod combos on my own. Just wondering what people are using around here from the banks for bass/cats/crappie, etc.

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11663549 06/13/16 12:40 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Get rooster tails.......lots of rooster tails. Will catch largemouth, sand bass, crappie, stripers, panfish, and sometimes stray catfish.

Eric

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: erittmueller] #11663619 06/13/16 01:23 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: erittmueller
Get rooster tails.......lots of rooster tails. Will catch largemouth, sand bass, crappie, stripers, panfish, and sometimes stray catfish.

Eric

http://www.basspro.com/Wordens-Original-Rooster-Tail-Lure-3/8-oz-/product/61660/

They're all 3/8oz. Which colors would you recommend for bank fishing around here? I imagine the water clarity will be poor, especially fishing from the bank. Guessing something lighter?

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11665026 06/13/16 10:08 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
They come in many different sizes, I buy mine from BPS online so they definitely have them. Type in rooster tail into the search bar and it will show the different ones. 1/16 will catch panfish (including crappie) all day along with any catfish that feel like chasing something, I have caught more cats on 1/16 than any other size. 1/8 is best for spring sand bass run so I don't have too many of those. 1/4oz will catch some of the big bluegill and green sunfish when they are hungry, along with sand bass, hybrids, and plenty of largemouth. I catch more largemouth on these than on senkos, just ask Rudy about them.... Colors aren't that important but I have noticed a slight difference. Chartreuse produce the best for all species for me. I also keep some Gray Minnow if it is sunny with very clear water, and a few Fire Tiger if it's super cloudy and super murky and nothing else seems to be working. If you need to be able to cast extra far for sand bass or hybrids then get a 3/8oz for hybrids or add a pinch weight in front of your 1/4oz spinner.

80% of the time I'm fishing with a lure I'm throwing an inline spinner (other name for rooster tail). If I'm fishing for panfish it's either a jig or a rooster tail, for anything else it's a rooster tail unless there is stuff to catch it on. I'll fish a plastic in an algae filled creek for largemouth, or a jig with a snag guard for crappie around timber.....

PM me if you have questions, people helped me learn and I pass it on.

Eric

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11665091 06/13/16 10:42 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Wait until those bass pro knock off rooster tails go on sale and load up on mostly the 1/8 oz size. Grab you some fin s flukes in any color you like, some 1/32-1/16 oz jig heads, small peg bobbers, as far as bass fishing goes, that's up to you because bass gear is really expensive. The stuff above will catch anything.

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11665914 06/14/16 10:46 AM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I think tackle will be the easy part... Now I'm more concerned with the reel decision. I think a baitcaster would definitely suit me better bank fishing as it has more accuracy; I'm just not experienced enough with them yet to use that as my main reel. Maybe I'll get my tackle purchased and sorted out in the new tackle bag (best part of buying gear) and practice with my old Abu Ambassador C3 a little bit longer before making a reel decision. Now, as far as the rod goes.... Going by what I'll be casting and the fact I'll be bank fishing, which type of rod should I go with? Most things I've read are saying anywhere between 6'6"-7'1" MHF.

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11666077 06/14/16 01:11 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
If you're going with just 1 rod you should probably get a spin so that you can use it with all types of lures and don't need to reline it when changing bait. The same baitcaster isn't going to work very well if you have on a heavy lure then want to switch to a jig and bobber. A spinning reel with something like 8lb fluro will work for tx rigged soft plastics, retrieving lures, or panfish lures.

Eric

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11666095 06/14/16 01:19 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
So, should I stick with the Stradic like I was initially looking at? The CI4+ gets rave reviews. I've used one and they're pretty nice. Just not sure which rod to pair it with for bank fishing. Also, 2500 or 3000? They're saltwater rated so I could go with the 3000 and have a nice inshore flats reel next time I hit the coast.

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: erittmueller] #11666099 06/14/16 01:22 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: erittmueller
They come in many different sizes, I buy mine from BPS online so they definitely have them. Type in rooster tail into the search bar and it will show the different ones. 1/16 will catch panfish (including crappie) all day along with any catfish that feel like chasing something, I have caught more cats on 1/16 than any other size. 1/8 is best for spring sand bass run so I don't have too many of those. 1/4oz will catch some of the big bluegill and green sunfish when they are hungry, along with sand bass, hybrids, and plenty of largemouth. I catch more largemouth on these than on senkos, just ask Rudy about them.... Colors aren't that important but I have noticed a slight difference. Chartreuse produce the best for all species for me. I also keep some Gray Minnow if it is sunny with very clear water, and a few Fire Tiger if it's super cloudy and super murky and nothing else seems to be working. If you need to be able to cast extra far for sand bass or hybrids then get a 3/8oz for hybrids or add a pinch weight in front of your 1/4oz spinner.

80% of the time I'm fishing with a lure I'm throwing an inline spinner (other name for rooster tail). If I'm fishing for panfish it's either a jig or a rooster tail, for anything else it's a rooster tail unless there is stuff to catch it on. I'll fish a plastic in an algae filled creek for largemouth, or a jig with a snag guard for crappie around timber.....

PM me if you have questions, people helped me learn and I pass it on.

Eric

I have 2 of each of the 3 colors you mentioned in both weights in my BPS cart atm. Anything else off the top of your head you think I can fill my box with? Hooks (types, gaps, etc.), weights, plastics, topwaters, etc.?

Re: Bank fishing around the Austin metro area [Re: BSully1983] #11667471 06/14/16 11:34 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Should get you started but be careful because if you snag them on something they will probably break off and if you make bad casts or decided to fish an area that you shouldn't have with them you'll all of a sudden find yourself having lost 4 lures....lol. Honestly for now don't make things too complicated. I bought way too much stuff to begin with when I started using lures. I wish I'd stuck with rooster tails, senkos 4in and 6in (never noticed a big difference with hook sizes), baby brush hogs, a craw colored rattle trap, bobby garland itty bit jig heads and jigs (white and lights out), some bigger 1/8 and 1/16 jig heads, zoom tiny fluke (albino), baby shad plastics (don't know name, white, blue, black, chartreuse, lights out), and assorted plastic jigs (mostly black/chart, black/blue, red/chart, orange/chart, white). I fish once a week for a variety of fish and don't use more than this all year unless using bait. If I just got this it'd be less than 25% of what I actually bought... If you don't plan on fishing for crappie and sunfish skip the jigs except maybe the white shad plastic on jig head for sand bass.

Eric

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide