Forums59
Topics1,039,312
Posts13,962,696
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Storage unit burglarized- please be on the lookout for my rods [Re: beartrap] #11665537 06/14/16 01:54 AM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: beartrap
I suggest contacting the storage units insurance company and tell them you feel there is some liability on their part because the security camera wasn't working and severely hurts your chances of recovering your stolen possessions...ask them to take care of of your deductible....better yet...talk to a local attorney and ask his opinion if there is any liability on the storage owners because of faulty camera or lax security on their part...

Most storage units don't work like that. If it was in Texas and they use a TSSA lease (like most reputable storage companies in the state), you are on your own as far as insuring your stored goods. It says so right in the contract, several times in fact. If it is expensive, or important to you, I wouldn't keep it in a remote storage location. If you can't do that, and you have to store expensive and/or important items, you'd better get storage/renters insurance when you do and keep photographs and serial numbers. I would also suggest that if you keep your goods in a storage unit, make sure to use a disc lock, not a pad lock. You can't cut a disc lock with bolt cutters unless you really know what you are doing. It takes about 10 seconds to cut 95% of the pad locks sold today with cheap 15$ bolt cutters. I manage 7 large self storage units in Texas and have cut just about every kind of lock you can imagine a few hundred times and have seen my share of break ins. It's ALWAYS the pad locks the thieves go after. The disc locks get left alone every time, because you need a grinder or torch to cut them. Most self storage companies do everything they can to keep thieves out and it would blow your mind the lengths thieves will go to to get in.

In all honesty, most break-ins occur at night and even with very high dollar IR cameras that we use, most wear face masks and cover their license plates or come in on foot, which makes it very difficult to identify anything or anyone. Sometimes a dumb thief will get caught, but most of the time they are fairly crafty.

It's no different than renting a house from someone and then your stuff gets stolen out of there. The homeowner is not responsible for stolen or damaged goods if you are renting from them. You are responsible for insuring your goods.

I hope you find your stuff, but going to get an attorney to try and recoup lost items from the self storage company is ignorant and won't do anything but make the attorneys money.

Just my 2 cents. I have more experience than most when it comes to this subject, so I hope that provides you with a little insight. Make sure that the storage company checks gate logs (if gated) from the property management software they use and creates an accurate timeline. That will be one of your best tools for creating a suspect list that police can follow up with.... and get renter's insurance if you store your goods. You will feel much better knowing that your goods are insured.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Storage unit burglarized- please be on the lookout for my rods [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #11665610 06/14/16 02:27 AM
M
Mike_Soriano Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
DANGIT..every time I see the thread at the top Im hoping someone got your stuff back or at least those arseholes got caught. Hope you catch these scumbags.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide