Forums59
Topics1,037,822
Posts13,935,129
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! #11636979 05/31/16 02:09 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content OP
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Been fishing between thunder showers the past two weeks! With creeks a muddy mess,and the Guadalupe River being muddy to stained along with a fast current not to mention WAKE BOAT SEASON, small ponds,community lakes,and a small hill country river are providing some good fishing. Been catching some good numbers and quality fish from these locations. Fish are very active and are holding by grass beds,reed beds,and over hanging tree limbs. Getting good numbers of Bluegill and Redear. Also catching some Rios,bass,Redbreast,and even some Red Spotted Sunfish. Both float and bottom techniques were used. Worms and Berkley Trout Worms were the baits used. All water bodies were in GREAT shape! Looks like this will be the plan of action for the next couple of weeks. There is a chance of THUNDER STORMS for the next eight days. Catching some good quality fish between storms. It just don't get any better! fish

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11637035 05/31/16 02:34 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
That's some good lookn fish & water in those pics.....
I fished a local to me clear water lake this past w-end, should have took some fish at the boat in tha water pics to show it's clarity.....
Might get a chance to get back over there soon.....
WTG on tha catchn.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: SK.] #11637050 05/31/16 02:42 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks SK for the reply. cheers The locations of the water bodies where I fish have a lot of lime stone around them which makes for some pretty good water conditions. One of the ponds/community lake was stained but due the amount of rain we have been having I can't complain! thumb

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11637800 05/31/16 06:49 PM
D
Dr. Erk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
You're making me jealous. I need to get out... Been hectic traveling with work and for pleasure lately though, so no trip has materialized. I thought about getting on the Guadalupe yesterday (Mon) but decided to smoke a brisket instead; glad I did when the downpour tried to drench my charcoal at 6 am! hammer

Good work! Still hope to run into you guys on the Guad sometime!

texas
Wishing I was in my kayak.
Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: Dr. Erk] #11637877 05/31/16 07:21 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Dr. Erk
You're making me jealous. I need to get out... Been hectic traveling with work and for pleasure lately though, so no trip has materialized. I thought about getting on the Guadalupe yesterday (Mon) but decided to smoke a brisket instead; glad I did when the downpour tried to drench my charcoal at 6 am! hammer

Good work! Still hope to run into you guys on the Guad sometime!

Thanks Doc for the reply! cheers You made the right choice by staying home. Corp of Engineers has started letting out more water from Canyon Lake last night. Current on the Guadalupe is very fast! nuts Forecast is saying between 3 to 7 inches of RAIN this week! taz

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11638270 05/31/16 10:03 PM
K
Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
unless someone is living or fishing in the Concho river drainage, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH with the rain. Chuck what we need more than anything is stability. Kudos to you for even finding a fishable water shed right now, much less finding good fish. Just a heads up, a source at GBRA told me last Thursday that it would be "Not Wise" to yak fish between his dam at Canyon and Dunlap til July at least lol. I really think he was serious.

" Used to Chase giant's on Lake Austin & Town Lake "

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan] #11644251 06/03/16 11:29 AM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks Kent for the reply. cheers Yes Sir stability in the weather patterns would fix it for sure. rockon I the mean time just keep looking for nice water. hide2

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11645340 06/03/16 07:39 PM
H
highcountry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Well done, as always, Chuck... Love the pics of fish coming out of water!

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: highcountry] #11654166 06/08/16 02:57 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks HC for the reply! cheers Love those action shots. hooked

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11654599 06/08/16 05:21 PM
S
SlowDown Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Banker, that picture looks like you are fishing over submerged matted hydrilla. Do you fish it with your normal bottom rig, across the top of the hydrilla, maybe with a smaller split shot, or what? Can't figure out how you get fish out of that stuff. I fish around hydrilla with a drop shot rig, but it is not that thick and I still hang up in it a lot. I give it a sharp jerk when it hangs and it will normally jerk free, although I lose my bait part of the time. Hate fishing in the stuff, but that is where the fish are, so have no choice.

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: SlowDown] #11658441 06/10/16 12:32 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Fish 'till I drop: The ponds where I fish have a lot of grass/weed beds. When using bottom techniques I do use a BB type shot. I also use a float. I do loose some fish that get pulled off the hook through the grass beds but I do manage to catch a bunch. thumb

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11658512 06/10/16 01:13 PM
S
SlowDown Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Thanks Banker. It is a strange thing, but I can't seem to catch fish using a float. Even when I wait for the float to go completely down, when I lift up it doesn't catch the fish. When I fished Lake Austin several years ago, before the grass and fish disappeared, I used a float all the time and rarely missed. It may be that the only bites I'm getting on the float are tiny fish.

Another thing is that most of the large fish seem to be on the bottom where I'm now fishing, and don't come up to take a bait hanging under a float. I get probably 5 bites to 1 fishing a bottom rig over a float. I have also tried slowly swimming a jig over the hydrilla and do not get many takes that way, unlike last summer when that was the main way I caught them. The only thing I can think of is that lake conditions are different this year due to all the rain and lake level. Funny/strange how things change. Anyway, fishing on bottom in hydrilla is a real challenge as you said, at least it is for me so far this year. Always good talking to you.

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: SlowDown] #11659057 06/10/16 05:18 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: fish 'till I drop
Thanks Banker. It is a strange thing, but I can't seem to catch fish using a float. Even when I wait for the float to go completely down, when I lift up it doesn't catch the fish. When I fished Lake Austin several years ago, before the grass and fish disappeared, I used a float all the time and rarely missed. It may be that the only bites I'm getting on the float are tiny fish.
Another thing is that most of the large fish seem to be on the bottom where I'm now fishing, and don't come up to take a bait hanging under a float. I get probably 5 bites to 1 fishing a bottom rig over a float. I have also tried slowly swimming a jig over the hydrilla and do not get many takes that way, unlike last summer when that was the main way I caught them. The only thing I can think of is that lake conditions are different this year due to all the rain and lake level. Funny/strange how things change. Anyway, fishing on bottom in hydrilla is a real challenge as you said, at least it is for me so far this year. Always good talking to you.

I am a lot like you. I miss a lot of fish while using a float. I do use small floats that are easy to take down. The more aggressive the bite the easier the hook set especially when a float is used. You may also want to try a slip float and fish the bait off the bottom that way. When fish are suspended float fishing for me works pretty good especially if the bite is aggressive. I do catch my bigger fish off of the bottom! thumb

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: banker-always fishing] #11659574 06/10/16 09:53 PM
S
SlowDown Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Appreciate the reply Banker. Although I try to balance my float and split shot, your mention about using a small float reminds me to try using a smaller float than I have been using. Slip float, and setting the depth to fish it above the bottom is the way I've always rigged it.

Re: Fishing Between Showers! Catching Good Quality Fish! [Re: SlowDown] #11666000 06/14/16 12:21 PM
Pumpkin Head
OP Online Content
Pumpkin Head
I use the slip float the same way! thumb You can also use a drop shot method. Set the hook further up from the bottom. hmmm I do not use the drop shot method but friends of mine who do have pretty good success. hooked

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide