Print Thread
3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" #11652908 06/07/16 10:23 PM
B
Ban-D Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
So I have been picking up swimbait fishing and over the last couple months been throwing what I call "real swimbaits". The bigger line throughs,jointed baits,etc. Where are you guys throwing these? Everywhere? Focusing on channels,bridges,points?How slow are you retrieving when in deeper water? It takes forever for them to sink and I'm a fast fisherman. I guess my main question is how long before you started getting a good rhythm down and can go out and just know that you're going to be using a swimbait? I can pick up the smaller ones like a 5" swimming fluke for an example and pick up fish no problem. Just haven't had much luck with the big boys. Thanks for the help.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653311 06/08/16 01:38 AM
B
Big Swimbait Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
With this warmer weather, I would be targeting 15-18 ft water in the areas you mentioned. A slow retrieve works best for me, but don't be afraid to change it up with a start/stop/start cadence. That being said, I had no luck doing just that this past weekend, but I did get some followers late in the day in the shallows, but no bites. I think it's going to take several more days of consistent weather to get the fish in a normal early summer pattern.

Less gritchin', more fishin'
Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653430 06/08/16 02:12 AM
B
Ban-D Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Thank you for the response.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653456 06/08/16 02:19 AM
N
nitroslim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I just have not been able to stick with it. I need to go out and empty the boat of everything else.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653721 06/08/16 04:17 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The only time I have had any luck with them is pre-spawn just before they move up. I just use a slow roll once I get to my desired depth. For summer patterns I stick with t-rig or c-rig and put a big worm on a shaky head. I have been trying to fish the weedless rising son shallow by skipping under tree branches and bushes but have not really had any luck. You just don't get a lot of bites on them (IMO). I think it was Byron Velvick that said he uses them as search baits because he gets a lot of bumps and followers but not many takers. Once he finds them he picks up another bait.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653735 06/08/16 05:06 AM
Evan O'Brien Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm sure some others will chime in, but are you throwing the line through or the weedless or both? To me they are different baits as with most swimbaits. No one swimbait does it all. I'm a fast fisherman like yourself.. So the line through shines for me when they are closer to the surface and moving slower with colder water temps.. Same concept when it's hot or cold and they are lethargic. When working 5-25ft+ with one of these baits I'll throw the weedless version on a weighted 10/0 owner beast hook. It will allow you to retrieve it relatively quick or slow while staying close to the bottom. It would be very hard to do that with the line through. Just my two cents!

REALTOR. Residential/Lake/Farm&Ranch/Hunting Properties
Evan O'Brien - Regal Realtors - texaslakesandland@gmail.com (214)642-6921
Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653779 06/08/16 10:40 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
The bigger swimbaits are hard to gain confidence in especially if someone else in the boat with you is catching fish on a smaller bait like a Swimming Fluke. The primary reason I have confidence in them is because I got to fish Casitas & Castaic with Matt Newman and Mickey Ellis a few years back in Cali.

I like the newer Rising Sons that you rig with the belly weighted Owner Beast hook Evan is referring to. You can get that hook in several weights and fish the bait pretty fast and keep it down as deep as you want it. I've done well on the line thrus at Monticello over the years but not at Fork. Just haven't hit it right yet I guess.

And Don't think a two pounder won't eat one of the bigger baits.

I have caught several fish in the 2-3 pound range on the big baits. If you get a bite on one and the fish doesn't get the bait well enough to get the hook, you need to change colors or retrieve speed or something. When everything is right and you get bit on one of the bigger baits, it is bone jarring. Typically it is a hard thump like a jig bite then your rod loads. There have been a few bites on one that I have NEVER forgotten! Try to resist setting the hook for just a second or two and let the fish get it good.

Last edited by Ken A.; 06/08/16 10:41 AM.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653907 06/08/16 12:55 PM
B
Ban-D Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Thanks for all the info guys. Right now I don't have any weedless rising Suns.I have the James caldmeyer special in 6.75" and 8" line throughs. The only weedless swimbaits I have are the 6th sense 6" and of course the smaller type swimbaits. I've been watching YouTube and as most of you know it's hit or miss. I know some lakes will be better than others etc. and I've also seen the small fish eat the big bait. I guess I just have to stick it out and keep trying! It's crazy how an a-rig will pick up fish almost anywhere any time or depth but you use just one big swimbait and they just follow like most of y'all are experiencing. As for sticking to a t rig or c rig during the summer that's not what I'm looking to do. No offense to anyone but I can do those techniques with confidence and catch fish. I want to consistently get good with a swimbait.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11653928 06/08/16 01:07 PM
P
pwarren Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I just thought it was funny that the first person that replied has the name "Big Swimbait" . I too am trying to get better with swimbaits, recently purchased a couple packs of gambler big EZ's.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11654148 06/08/16 02:51 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I am still struggling with the bigger swim baits. I have thrown it a lot in different situations and still haven't had any luck. I have been told to just go to a lake that is known for it and spend the whole day throwing nothing but a swimbait. I still haven't had a chance to do that but hope to soon.

Team Wolfs
Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ken A.] #11654254 06/08/16 03:30 PM
pacertom Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
The bigger swimbaits are hard to gain confidence in especially if someone else in the boat with you is catching fish on a smaller bait like a Swimming Fluke. The primary reason I have confidence in them is because I got to fish Casitas & Castaic with Matt Newman and Mickey Ellis a few years back in Cali.

I like the newer Rising Sons that you rig with the belly weighted Owner Beast hook Evan is referring to. You can get that hook in several weights and fish the bait pretty fast and keep it down as deep as you want it. I've done well on the line thrus at Monticello over the years but not at Fork. Just haven't hit it right yet I guess.

And Don't think a two pounder won't eat one of the bigger baits.

I have caught several fish in the 2-3 pound range on the big baits. If you get a bite on one and the fish doesn't get the bait well enough to get the hook, you need to change colors or retrieve speed or something. When everything is right and you get bit on one of the bigger baits, it is bone jarring. Typically it is a hard thump like a jig bite then your rod loads. There have been a few bites on one that I have NEVER forgotten! Try to resist setting the hook for just a second or two and let the fish get it good.

Agree with everything Ken said but will add my observation. Once I started retrieving the big swimbaits with the rod tip pointed directly at the bait, my hook up ratio went up dramatically. I used to get the bumps when retrieving from the side but had quite a few misses. Something about the rod tip direct helps with the hookups on the "bumps"...my 2 cents.

A MAN WILL NEVER GO TO HIS GRAVE WISHING HE'D FISHED LESS!!
Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11654278 06/08/16 03:43 PM
T
Topwater2 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I never had much confidence in swim baits but.....I will be throwing them this weekend on Amistad. That's after I show them the Yellow Magic of course.

FishKen
Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11654332 06/08/16 04:02 PM
B
Ban-D Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher
I am still struggling with the bigger swim baits. I have thrown it a lot in different situations and still haven't had any luck. I have been told to just go to a lake that is known for it and spend the whole day throwing nothing but a swimbait. I still haven't had a chance to do that but hope to soon.
you and me both!

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: Ban-D] #11654812 06/08/16 06:33 PM
R
reedaggie10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Ive been throwing large swimbaits for the past several years pretty exclusively and still have a ton to learn but here is my input on the questions you have. Swimbaits can be thrown anywhere and used to target any type of structure a bass will stick to, to ambush baitfish. If fishing shallow banks, deep humps and ledges, my mentality is generally that I want to maintain constant contact with the bottom until i reach the point of drop off where the bait is usually ambushed. If fishing bridges, trees and docks I tend to try and stay in the middle of the water column (or the depth at which I have located fish) and stay as close to the structure as possible. However, one of the main reasons people aren't successful throwing larger baits is because they aren't willing to slow down and fish the baits at the speed they need to be fished. Large swimbaits need to be fished SLOWLY and close to cover.

While fishing larger swimbaits you need to know that you are never going to just go out and whack them everytime you are on the water, most days you will get very few bites and catch no fish. If you want to catch big fish on big bait you will need to dedicate a lot of time to throwing only big baits.

Re: 3:16 rising sun "swimbaits" [Re: reedaggie10] #11654907 06/08/16 07:08 PM
T
Tick... Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
the saying is true the big baits are High Risk High Reward as the saying goes, fishing them up hill is a good way of keeping in contact with the bottom in deeper water angles are important too I know alot of good swimbaiters in northern california all at somepoint use the uphill retrieve it also gives the opposite presentation to pressured fish I have a friend who is a really good with the hudds and osprey top hooks he positions his boat shallow on long docks and throws out deeper to catch pressured fish on Clear Lake,which is the opposite angle for most dock fisherman another buddy gave me some simple but good advice never give up on a cast...fish the bait all the way back to the boat, many big fish will short line you just like they will with crankbaits its the change of angle of the bait also big fish like to pin their prey up against the waters surface or the bottom of a boat and the shade of the boat too get ready to free spool them on a short line watch out for back lash use your thumb

When in doubt set the hook..Retie often
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide