Forums59
Topics1,039,182
Posts13,960,486
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11680432 06/21/16 07:09 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Ratings are good for some stuff but sometimes I think they are more like guidelines than rules.

Knew a guy who pulled a 25-27 foot 5th wheel from California to texas and back with a 1970's model elcomino with a 350 in it. He blew a transmission in it and a tire or two. You will be close to the max, you may be over it, but the truck will do it and so long as you don't drive it like ricky bobby and don't tow it all the time I don't think it will affect the truck adversely. With a little bit of planning and using 15% pin weight instead of 20 you can get in under or real close to your payload depending on what/how many people you plan on having in the truck.

If I was looking for a dedicated vehicle to tow a 10k lb travel trailer a tundra wouldn't be my choice... I think they are nice trucks, but I just plain wouldn't buy one, they are to thirsty for me.

Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: redchevy] #11693795 06/28/16 05:40 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Thanks for all the responses.

Originally Posted By: redchevy
If I was looking for a dedicated vehicle to tow a 10k lb travel trailer a tundra wouldn't be my choice... I think they are nice trucks, but I just plain wouldn't buy one, they are to thirsty for me.
Do you have a recommendation that isn't a Ford for a trailer that's around the 8k lb max loaded down?

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11693873 06/28/16 06:14 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Don't know why it can't be a Ford, but I understand. In that case I would go to an eight year old GMC 3/4 ton with the HD frame. It's pre gubment motors and well made. A 350 engine would do it but get you about 15 mpg max.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11693988 06/28/16 07:11 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: patriot07

Do you have a recommendation that isn't a Ford for a trailer that's around the 8k lb max loaded down?

The catch all word is dedicated. Your probably going to do more with this truck than just pull the TT like go to work etc. I also feel that driving a 1-ton diesel every day to work because you tow a travel trailer a time or two during the year is a waste, but hey if you got the money and that's what floats your boat go for it.

Ive owned one AFM motor from GM with the cylinder deactivation, it always made me nervous even though I never had any issues with it, and I still do the maintenance on it even though I sold it and it uses more oil than I think it should. So that scratches GM off my list.

I think the ram with either the hemi or diesel would do it, but not sure where the fuel mileage with the hemi will land you and while I have and love my Ecodiesel they have their fair share of issues, enough that they make me nervous again not that I have had any issues, but it sure is a possibility.

Nisan has nothing for me, so that leaves Toyota and ford. I feel like they are both capable of the job and would do fine for every once in a while use of said TT. I think the ecoboost would tow it the best. In my experience I haven't seen any issues with the ecoboosts or the 5.0 and they both get better mileage than the tundra.

In the end you gotta get what you want. I replaced a truck and a car with a vehicle that I needed to do both jobs and that's why I bought the ecodiesel. I have been routinely getting 27+ mpg out of it, it will tow our appx. 5k lb boat fine, and it will tow our camper should I need it to, but I readily acknowledge that it probably has a greater chance of failure with the emissions systems and is probably not for everyone.

You cant argue against the tundra in reliability or performance really, I just simply wont own a vehicle that drinks like I did in college.

Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11694911 06/29/16 02:41 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Driving down a mountain pass with a 1/2 ton pulling 9k lbs.... No thank you, I'll take the jake brake and a oversized transmission with a 1 ton truck attached to it.

Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: redchevy] #11697045 06/30/16 11:10 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Driving down a mountain pass with a 1/2 ton pulling 9k lbs.... No thank you, I'll take the jake brake and a oversized transmission with a 1 ton truck attached to it.
Most of the ones I'm looking at are 4,500 lbs to 6,000 lbs unloaded and 6,000 lbs to 8,000 lbs max.

My truck will be used 98% for daily commuting and 2% for towing. And when I'm towing, maybe 5%-10% of that time will be stuff other than flat ground. So spending an extra $20k up front as well as extra on maintenance and gas on a 1-ton for .3% of my driving just doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: patriot07

The catch all word is dedicated. Your probably going to do more with this truck than just pull the TT like go to work etc. I also feel that driving a 1-ton diesel every day to work because you tow a travel trailer a time or two during the year is a waste, but hey if you got the money and that's what floats your boat go for it.

Ive owned one AFM motor from GM with the cylinder deactivation, it always made me nervous even though I never had any issues with it, and I still do the maintenance on it even though I sold it and it uses more oil than I think it should. So that scratches GM off my list.

I think the ram with either the hemi or diesel would do it, but not sure where the fuel mileage with the hemi will land you and while I have and love my Ecodiesel they have their fair share of issues, enough that they make me nervous again not that I have had any issues, but it sure is a possibility.

Nisan has nothing for me, so that leaves Toyota and ford. I feel like they are both capable of the job and would do fine for every once in a while use of said TT. I think the ecoboost would tow it the best. In my experience I haven't seen any issues with the ecoboosts or the 5.0 and they both get better mileage than the tundra.

In the end you gotta get what you want. I replaced a truck and a car with a vehicle that I needed to do both jobs and that's why I bought the ecodiesel. I have been routinely getting 27+ mpg out of it, it will tow our appx. 5k lb boat fine, and it will tow our camper should I need it to, but I readily acknowledge that it probably has a greater chance of failure with the emissions systems and is probably not for everyone.

You cant argue against the tundra in reliability or performance really, I just simply wont own a vehicle that drinks like I did in college.
I will definitely consider the ED if prices come down a bit. I love the idea of a half-ton diesel, and getting decent mpg on my daily commute would be a big plus. I assumed when they came out that the mpg wouldn't be anywhere near what was advertised, but that's apparently not the case.

I was hoping maybe the Ram 5.7L Hemi or Chevy 6.2L got decent mpg. Does the Chevy 6.2L have AFM? I won't own a 5.3L with AFM. Two buddies owned one and both had issues with oil consumption. My old non-AFM 5.3L has been great, but it's short on power to pull 7k lbs through the mountain.

My family has owned 3 Fords through the years and all were extremely unreliable. We dumped tons of time and money into all of them and they never did go more than a few thousand miles without breaking down again it seemed like. I know they're not all that way, but I can't spend my hard earned money on one and still sleep at night. So it's really down to Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota for me. Just looking for the best combination of reliability, mpg, and the ability to comfortably tow around 7,000 lbs mostly on flat ground and occasionally through the mountains.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: Cast] #11697090 06/30/16 11:52 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: Cast
Don't know why it can't be a Ford, but I understand. In that case I would go to an eight year old GMC 3/4 ton with the HD frame. It's pre gubment motors and well made. A 350 engine would do it but get you about 15 mpg max.
I debated about the old 6.0L for awhile. Problem is they're basically a Tundra without the reliability or resale. If I wanted to tow a big 5th wheel or I wanted to have a work truck and keep my Altima as a daily driver, it wouldn't be a bad solution. But I'm hoping to find something with decent mpg that I can use as a daily driver. And I'm looking at either small/medium bumper pulls (26-28 feet long) or the smallest 5th wheels on the market like the one I mentioned above. And you just don't really need a 3/4 ton to do that. But I know the 6.0L is a good engine and I've always had good luck with GM vehicles.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11697186 06/30/16 12:38 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
I have been extremely happy with my ecodiesel so far. That said I would not even recommend one to people I know. Lots to go wrong with them and they are experiencing their issues I wouldn't try to convince someone to buy one that doesn't already want one.

The fuel mileage is awesome, but it seems slow to take off, once up to speed has good pickup. You will run into the same issues with payload on the ram as you do on the tundra, my payload is about 1200 lbs in a 1/2 ton crew cab 4x4. If you go 2wd it will go up to 1400 lbs, but in the world of a 5th wheel you don't have much room unless its just the driver in the cab. I love my truck but I sure hope it doesn't blow an engine on me, if it does I will be buying a beater car just so I don't have to get a rental for the month or so it seems it takes RAM to replace it.

Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11697540 06/30/16 03:23 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
That sounds exactly like what I want minus the engine issues. I don't care about speed from start near as much as I do about passing speed on the highway. I would definitely get 2WD.

After talking with my wife some more and going to look at that Winnebago in person, I think she's leaning more towards a bumper pull in the 26-28 foot range hopefully weighing around 5,000-5,500 lbs dry and 6,500-7,000 lbs loaded. Do you think the ED would have issues with that in the mountains?

I found some ED models at the local Dodge dealer for mid-30s if you're willing to go for a mid-level trim. I really like the new Dodge body style, so I'd seriously consider it if they could fix the engine issues. Prices aren't as bad as I once thought.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11697567 06/30/16 03:37 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
I think it will tow that trailer fine. I haven't put that much behind mine, but several people have and more and taken cross country with good results.

I'm not sure what is the issue with the motors. The oil cooler is somewhat of an issue they need to figure out. They are speced for a hi dollar oil, and it is rumored that the oil is the best fore the emissions system but not the motor itself. I have been running Rotella T-6 in mine which should protect the motor well and be ok with the emissions and is not cost prohibitive... however it does not meet ram's specs and could void my warranty. I'm not going to tell them about it though grin

Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11697580 06/30/16 03:45 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Do you have the 3.55 or 3.92 rear axle?

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: patriot07] #11697677 06/30/16 04:29 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
R
I have 3.55's.

I like them and feel they fit what I need the best. With an 8 speed transmission I don't think the gap in gears is that big a deal, but if I was intending to pull a TT I would get the 3.92's. I hear there is about 1 mpg difference in the two.

Re: Towing lightweight 5th wheel with Toyota Tundra [Re: redchevy] #11697890 06/30/16 05:57 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
I hear there is about 1 mpg difference in the two.
That was my next question. Thanks for all the info!

- Soren Kierkegaard
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide