Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anybody use ceramic bearings? #11646433 06/04/16 10:14 AM
C
Clint H. Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
I'm thinking of upgrading some of my reel bearings to all ceramic. Anyone do this? Is it even an upgrade from stock? I fish strictly shimano. And own mostly curados and chronarchs cores scorpions and conquests/ te's . Would ceramics make the reels better to use ?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11646476 06/04/16 11:38 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Yes. I get bearings from Hedgehog Studio

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/100

They have several different choices of bearings for the Shimano reels.

Just be careful changing the bearings so you don't loose the bearing clip.

Last edited by ezbassin; 06/04/16 11:42 AM.
Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11646522 06/04/16 12:09 PM
Diezel_Rocker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I use Boco ceramic bearings in some of my Core's, and most of my Chronarch's and last generation Curado's. I haven't replaced the bearings in any Metaniums if I remember correctly. I wouldn't say better to use but definitely you can cast a lot farther with them. However, you may need to re-calibrate how much tension you put on the spool. When I first started using them I had a couple massive backlashes until I got used to them. I use them in all of my deep cranking rods and they definitely make a difference. You really aren't supposed to lube ceramic bearings and they are kind of noisy but you get used to it. They run about $30/reel if I remember correctly. Boco has great customer service and are very helpful.

ezbassin is right- those clips are easy to lose. I ordered 10 of them because once they come flying out of the reel you will probably never find them!

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11646601 06/04/16 01:07 PM
E
eggs'isled Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Hmmm... I don't think I would notice enough difference to swap out the stock bearings on all my Revo's - they are darn smooth to begin with...now the 2 old sloppy 1980 Daiwa SM-2A's I have still winding line because they just won't die and I love 'em could probably stand some new bearings...LOL

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11646603 06/04/16 01:09 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
IMHO they will make a difference, if you actually have bad bearings. Most of the time you can flush and re-oil your bearings and they will greatly improve. Ceramic bearings won't make you cast 30 yards further, but it will make casting a little more effortless.

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11646630 06/04/16 01:22 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
The Hedgehog bearings will give you a lot more distance over the stock ones.

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: ezbassin] #11647451 06/04/16 11:34 PM
C
Chris Coufal Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: ezbassin

I'd be curious of your definition of "a lot" and how you came up with your data. I'm not attacking your personal opinion or the bearing....just curious.

I run BOCA's in all of my reels. I'd never tell you brand A makes a better bearing than brand B....because in all honesty, who knows where they are made and how they are produced. Secondly, I'm not sure that anyone could ever "legitimately" say "This bearing made me cast <insert distance> further. The reason being is that you can not replicate 2 identical casts back to back or at the same time using the same exact force, rod load, degree of cast or anything else so that you could test a stock bearing over a non stock bearing. It's impossible without using a computer aided device in a controlled environment.....and I haven't seen a company show those results yet in a casting situation. Do they give you added free-spool time? Absolutely. Are they somewhat smoother? I think in the proper environment and based on what you are replacing then absolutely. Do they have the potential to add a few feet to a few yards of distance? I'd like to think they do but honestly in the 5yrs I've ran them.....I can't say that by adding them I've definitely "gained distance" in my cast. Do they make your casts more efficient? Again.....I think so, but how do you prove that?

At the end of the day, I run them because mentally, it makes me feel like my gear is solid, potentially operates more efficiently and has "the potential" to cast further. In tournament fishing.....the mental aspect is huge. So ya......I use them. I guess the same comparison could be said about using a hydrowave.......

IMO if you have $15 - $30 to blow x <insert quantity> number of reels......then go for it. Me personally, I think I'd rather invest that same money into a seminar with a pro, a guide trip to learn a technique or a new Metanium in my arsenal. That's just my opinion though. I've used ABEC7's for about 5yrs and all my Curado's have them. My new Shimano Aldebaren's do not have them and cast and feel better than my upgraded Curado's. Again....my 2 cents.

Last edited by Chris Coufal; 06/04/16 11:35 PM.

-Chris-

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Chris Coufal] #11647706 06/05/16 02:08 AM
C
Clint H. Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Chris Coufal

I'd be curious of your definition of "a lot" and how you came up with your data. I'm not attacking your personal opinion or the bearing....just curious.

I run BOCA's in all of my reels. I'd never tell you brand A makes a better bearing than brand B....because in all honesty, who knows where they are made and how they are produced. Secondly, I'm not sure that anyone could ever "legitimately" say "This bearing made me cast <insert distance> further. The reason being is that you can not replicate 2 identical casts back to back or at the same time using the same exact force, rod load, degree of cast or anything else so that you could test a stock bearing over a non stock bearing. It's impossible without using a computer aided device in a controlled environment.....and I haven't seen a company show those results yet in a casting situation. Do they give you added free-spool time? Absolutely. Are they somewhat smoother? I think in the proper environment and based on what you are replacing then absolutely. Do they have the potential to add a few feet to a few yards of distance? I'd like to think they do but honestly in the 5yrs I've ran them.....I can't say that by adding them I've definitely "gained distance" in my cast. Do they make your casts more efficient? Again.....I think so, but how do you prove that?

At the end of the day, I run them because mentally, it makes me feel like my gear is solid, potentially operates more efficiently and has "the potential" to cast further. In tournament fishing.....the mental aspect is huge. So ya......I use them. I guess the same comparison could be said about using a hydrowave.......

IMO if you have $15 - $30 to blow x <insert quantity> number of reels......then go for it. Me personally, I think I'd rather invest that same money into a seminar with a pro, a guide trip to learn a technique or a new Metanium in my arsenal. That's just my opinion though. I've used ABEC7's for about 5yrs and all my Curado's have them. My new Shimano Aldebaren's do not have them and cast and feel better than my upgraded Curado's. Again....my 2 cents.
I'm not really looking for smoothness or distance, everything I have is pretty great. If anything I guess I'm just hoping for some wow factor.. or Geez I can't believe I've been missing out on this the whole time. Kind of like when I started making money and swapped out my lightning rods and bass pro tourney special reels for gloomis megabass and shimanos... do I catch more fish with better equipment? Marginally yes. In certain techniques. But over all not really. But it's the fun factor. And makes fishing soo much better.

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11647845 06/05/16 03:14 AM
C
Chris Coufal Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Well......if wow factor is what you are after, I hate to tell you but you are probably going to be disappointed. Again....nice upgrade if you have money to blow, but it's not going to put more fish in your boat so to speak. I have them......if I had to do it all over again I would have kept my $30 x 20 reels and bought a pair of strippers for the night. I would have at least had a good story to tell afterwards. smile

In all honestly though.....they have benefits, I'm just not sure they live up to the hype the "pro-staffers" try to sell you on when they say "brand-x will give you 20 more yards and reduce your fatigue by 20%....blah blah blah".

Last edited by Chris Coufal; 06/05/16 03:15 AM.

-Chris-

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Chris Coufal] #11649331 06/06/16 02:53 AM
C
Clint H. Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Well......if wow factor is what you are after, I hate to tell you but you are probably going to be disappointed. Again....nice upgrade if you have money to blow, but it's not going to put more fish in your boat so to speak. I have them......if I had to do it all over again I would have kept my $30 x 20 reels and bought a pair of strippers for the night. I would have at least had a good story to tell afterwards. smile

In all honestly though.....they have benefits, I'm just not sure they live up to the hype the "pro-staffers" try to sell you on when they say "brand-x will give you 20 more yards and reduce your fatigue by 20%....blah blah blah".
well since you put it that way. Bring on the strippers. I'll probably replace the bearings in my calcutta te's they're prolly 7 years old with thousands of casts with 5oz plus swimbaits. I can tell it feels like the races on the bearings are starting to wear

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Chris Coufal] #11649481 06/06/16 10:46 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E

My "test data" is pretty simple. Tie on a 3/4 oz Carolina rig weight, (no leader) and make several casts with the stock bearings and you will see the general average distance you get with those. Next put in the Hedge hog bearings (not Boca bearings) and make several casts with the same set up. You will see the added distance. Its not rocket science, just a very simple experiment.

You say that you use Boca bearings in your reels but then say you would rather spend the money on a seminar with a pro or a guide trip then later say on a stripper.
Seems you have conflicting data.

By the way, I have 3 Shimano reels with the Boca bearings and they are only slightly better in performance than the stock bearings.

Last edited by ezbassin; 06/06/16 11:33 AM.
Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11649482 06/06/16 10:49 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I order my ABEC 7 ceramic bearings off of Ebay straight from China. They cost about $6 each versus $15 for Bocas. ABEC 7 is just a rating for how good they spin. I would rather pay less for a bearing with the same rating as an expensive name brand bearing. They do improve casting distance and you don't have to cast as hard.

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Chris Coufal] #11649483 06/06/16 10:53 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E

Have you EVER tried a set of the Hedge Hog air bearings?? Yes or NO. If you haven't then how can anyone take your "opinion" seriously. It is based on nothing.
FYI am also not a prostaffer for anyone. I just offered the OP my actual experience with air bearings not just my opinion.

Last edited by ezbassin; 06/06/16 11:38 AM.
Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: ezbassin] #11649688 06/06/16 01:41 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L

Have you EVER tried a set of the Hedge Hog air bearings?? Yes or NO. If you haven't then how can anyone take your "opinion" seriously. It is based on nothing.
FYI am also not a prostaffer for anyone. I just offered the OP my actual experience with air bearings not just my opinion.

I have Boca bearings, if the Hedgehog are as good as you say, then I need to try some thanks.

Re: Anybody use ceramic bearings? [Re: Clint H.] #11649934 06/06/16 03:28 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I need to get my old reels cleaned up. Thinking about a bearing upgrade. You guys ain't helping me to make the decision. If it's not too pricy, I will.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide