858569 Topics
11263030 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11649160 - 06/05/16 08:21 PM Swim Bait
Gunzel Offline
Angler

Loc: Decatur Tx
I'm thinking of getting set up for some swim baits, haven't really got that in the arsenal as of yet. What say ye fellows on baits,setups and time of year/depths?

#11649463 - 06/06/16 03:20 AM Re: Swim Bait [Re: Gunzel]
scoopdaloop Offline
Outdoorsman

I throw swimbaits on 5 different rods, what are you looking to throw? If you're talking about throwing big baits just be prepared to have multiple setups. I have rods ranging from 1oz+ to 10z that I only throw swimbaits on. I have just about all the different types of swimbaits and sizes. Glides, wake, weedless full body, line through, 3 piece TT, punkers etc. As for reels, just get a 300 or 400 that you like. I use the Revo Toro, Calcutta and Lexa. I throw swimbaits throughout the year at all depths.

If you're just starting I would get two set ups. One for 1-4ish oz and another rod that is 2-8oz. Dobyns and Okuma both make good swimbait rods(champion/guide select) that fit those ranges.

For top water, MS Slammer 9". I have caught so many fish on that lure its unreal, get the 9" and throw it. Great lure. Also the OG wood lunker punker is really fun in open water, need a shorter handle to walk it properly though. The iRod Genesis XL is the rod I use for that lure. Blackdog baits shellcracker is a super fun little lure, if you can get one hop on it. BBZ rat is fun too, just replace that sectioned tail with a center pin glued in and attach worm.

Weedless - pick a 5-9 inch swimbait. 316 rising son, Smashtech convict/headsmasher, Rago, Huddleston.

Tophook/line through soft body- huddleston with the BB rig, straight catches fish dragging bottom during the cold months. 316 rising son and Smashtech Warden are the line thru I fish most.

Glides- this is where is gets expensive. Many of the glides I have aren't easy to get but you can readily get these, Deps 250/Bullshooter, Jackall Gantarel, Triple trout 8" or 10", river2sea s-waver 200 isn't bad if you shave the joints, Got Em'Coach gill,

The lures I fish the most are 316 weedless/babywake/glide, Smashtech headsmasher, HPH gizzard, Hiroshima Gillrilla, Deps bullshooter/250, MS Slammer and the triple trout 10".

Pick whatever line you like, you'll use 15-25lb line the most on the bigger baits. Don't go too heavy on the line, kills the action of lure. That should cover the basics.

Edited by scoopdaloop (06/06/16 03:25 AM)

#11649488 - 06/06/16 06:05 AM Re: Swim Bait [Re: Gunzel]
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Mansfield, Tx.
That's a lot of basics. LOL You are "really" into swim baits. I need to throw my Slammer and baby wake a lot more. I do like watching the wake from the Punker. I have had birds dive on the Punker while walking it although about 2feet off the water they realize it is not real an circle back up.

#11649725 - 06/06/16 08:59 AM Re: Swim Bait [Re: Gunzel]
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Keitech FAT Swing Impact 4.3"

I'd start with something simple like the 4.3" FAT Swing Impact so you can build your confidence. These swimbaits will catch fish any time, anywhere, at any depth. These swimbaits are super popular with swimbait fisherman and they deserve a place in your boat. They have the perfect amount of action and fish can't resist them. Lots of different sizes and colors to choose from as well.

Gamakatsu Weighted Superline Hook

I recommend you rig the Swing Impact on this weighted swimbait hook. Tossing this swimbait around shallow cover will allow you catch some quality fish and gain confidence quickly. Those FAT Swing Impact's really come alive on these hooks. These hooks are super efficient and inexpensive. It has a thick wire and it's super sharp. If you're fishing around heavy cover, this will keep you from getting hung up. I recommend the 4/0, 1/16oz size.

Revenge Swimbait Hedz XL

If you insist on throwing the swimbait around sparse cover, then try one of these swimbait heads. These are my favorite swimbait heads and they've never let me down. They have a good hook, good paint job, and they're made in the USA. I recommend you try the 4/0, 1/4oz size.

I throw these swimbaits on a 7'1" MH, Fast, G. Loomis rod with a 6.2:1 Shimano Chronarch Ci4+. I use 16-20 pound flourocarbon depending on the cover.

Like I said, start with this swimbait. This is an easy, simple method that will help you gain a lot of confidence. Once you gain confidence in this particular setting, move on down the line. But remember, confidence is key with swimbaits. If you don't have it, then you'll interest in swimbaits.

Good luck!

Edited by bigbass94 (06/06/16 09:00 AM)

"That was like watching the birth of Jesus!"-Urban Fisher

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide