Originally Posted By: boisarc
I almost never use trailer hooks...not sayin' they are a bad thing...just don't use them much. I cast into some pretty tight spots and I guess its a mental thing...worrying about getting snagged on stuff. Usually when bass short strike or slap at a bait I can make a few changes and get better hookups...usually. Takes a little time and attention but its worth it. Sometimes its a blade change, other times its a skirt color change or a different trailer or head weight/shape and at times a combination of all three. Patience pays off when tuning in on a spinner-bait bite. And then there are those days when there ain't nothin' you can do to get a bass to hit your spinner-bait except cut the line and tie on a squarebill or a chatterbait or a swim jig or just about anything but a spinner-bait!

I agree. It's one thing to use a trailer hook in wide open water, but in vegetation or around wood it can be a neg. in my opinion. Many times when the fish are striking short, I have down-sized. A 3/16 oz. SB is a tool that everyone ought to have in their SB box. And just as a crankbait fisherman changes colors until they find the one that the fish are choking on, a SB fisherman should be ready to do the same thing but not only with colors, but with overall size and types/sizes of blades. I'm not a big proponent of colored blades, but years ago while fishing in club tournaments we had a non-boater who would wear us boaters out on many days with a SB with chart./orange blade combination. I bought a couple like his and while fishing by myself would throw it a little and could never catch one on it...lol. So not sure if he was doing something a little different. The photo of the Stanley brought back many memories as the Vibra-shaft was the lure that made me a big SB fan. I bought my 1st one back in the day when W-Mart sold them and the heads weren't painted. First SB I ever had with that much vibration and caught more fish than I had ever caught on one before. But, after so many fish they would break (as most will). Today, what little I get to fish anymore, I like the Talon Shibui with a white/chart/red/mylar skirt. It's the 1st color I pick up and many days don't need to change. Thanks for the thread as I don't feel the SB gets the respect it still deserves.