Forums59
Topics1,038,925
Posts13,955,565
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? #11644148 06/03/16 05:00 AM
E
exactawheel Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
E
I was on Cedar Creek last Sunday and it was almost dark. My two sons(ages 12 and 14) and I were out fishing. We were flipping around the boat docks when we came up to a dock with an older man fishing off the walkway. I was between two docks and circling to head back around his dock when I see a lure almost hit me and landed 2 feet in front of my boat. I thought he just made a bad cast and I said to him that it was okay. He then told me that I shouldn't be fishing there because I was scaring the fish. I told him I wasn't scaring them anymore than he was. I headed for the end of his dock to go around and he began to walk toward where we were fishing. He opened a cabinet and turned on his stereo full volume and then continued to cast near our boat. He did this the entire perimeter of his dock. I told him if he hits me or one of my kids I would put this shaky head right upside his head. This is not the first dock owner I have encountered that thought they own the water around their docks but this was definitely the most aggressive. Especially with me having two kids in the boat with me. Has anyone else ever had any issues with dock owners before?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644179 06/03/16 06:06 AM
R
Ricky Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Yep!
Athens!
Had an old man try to scare us with a water hose. He jumped off his mower mid cut when we approached his dock and started bringing out the water hose and claimed that he was about to clean his dock and said yall need to get away or you'll get wet, I didn't care and kept fishing and he kept giving us hand motions and said "yall kids don't care about anything these days! Yall just leave hooks around my dock for my grandkids to step on!"
I laughed as I hadn't broke off around his dock, and I never said anything, just kept fishing, and made my way to the next dock.

Also on Conroe had a Hispanic lady come outside and had a mean stare at me the whole time I fished her dock (10 min). She didn't like me throwing a drop shot way underneath it.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644189 06/03/16 07:31 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Legally, you have every right to fish the docks.

However, there are some "grey areas" here that just involve general respect.

A good way to look at this is to flip the scenario: if you owned a dock, and were fishing out on your dock, would you like it if someone was motoring around? Also, we have all made "bad casts" and pinged a dock, or worse, hit someone's boat. Dock owners have a lot of "stuff" to deal with, too.

If there isn't anyone out there on the dock, cast away. If people are out there, I always stay away from them and go find a dock that isn't occupied.

Again, a lot of grey area here and it just depends on the situation.

For me, I just move on. I'm not really interested in getting into a constitutional debate while I am trying to enjoy a few hours on the water.

Not laying any blame here or anything like that, just playing the devils advocate.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: District Paddle] #11644222 06/03/16 10:30 AM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If someone is on the dock with a fishing pole in hand, I wouldn't get closer than a cast away. That would be no different than you moving in on a boat fishing.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644247 06/03/16 11:25 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: exactawheel
I was on Cedar Creek last Sunday and it was almost dark. My two sons(ages 12 and 14) and I were out fishing. We were flipping around the boat docks when we came up to a dock with an older man fishing off the walkway. I was between two docks and circling to head back around his dock when I see a lure almost hit me and landed 2 feet in front of my boat. I thought he just made a bad cast and I said to him that it was okay. He then told me that I shouldn't be fishing there because I was scaring the fish. I told him I wasn't scaring them anymore than he was. I headed for the end of his dock to go around and he began to walk toward where we were fishing. He opened a cabinet and turned on his stereo full volume and then continued to cast near our boat. He did this the entire perimeter of his dock. I told him if he hits me or one of my kids I would put this shaky head right upside his head. This is not the first dock owner I have encountered that thought they own the water around their docks but this was definitely the most aggressive. Especially with me having two kids in the boat with me. Has anyone else ever had any issues with dock owners before?

I have only had guy get stupid about it on Lake Fork, all others were friendly.

You have two choices:

1.) Ignore the person and keep on fishing

2.) Go knock him upside the head, then go put your boat on the trailer and leave the scene

The choice is yours.........

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644262 06/03/16 11:42 AM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have had it happen on EM a few times but it was only two different docks. One of the docks I frequent often just bc its in a row of docks I fish often. Man will come out of the house when he sees you and start casting lines out with bobbers on them. Of course he gives you an ear full and gets all stressed out. Told him last time he was gonna give himself a heart attack.... I simply move on to the next dock when he comes out and starts casting. I could see how things could go south quickly though if someone continued to fish the dock once the old man started throwing out lines with bobbers.

Last edited by GROD; 06/03/16 11:43 AM.
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: Chris B] #11644271 06/03/16 11:50 AM
B
BAGaBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Chris B
If someone is on the dock with a fishing pole in hand, I wouldn't get closer than a cast away. That would be no different than you moving in on a boat fishing.

This.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: BAGaBass] #11644277 06/03/16 11:56 AM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BAGaBass

This.

+1 I will even make a really wide circle around someone bank fishing. To me it is all about respect if they are there first and fishing let them have their spot. No way I am fishing a dock if someone is already fishing from any part of that dock.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: Hard Rain] #11644281 06/03/16 12:00 PM
SteveHummert Online Content
pawpaw
Online Content
pawpaw
Originally Posted By: Hard Rain

This.

+1 I will even make a really wide circle around someone bank fishing. To me it is all about respect if they are there first and fishing let them have their spot. No way I am fishing a dock if someone is already fishing from any part of that dock.

^this^. I don't fish around any dock that anyone is already fishing on, just not right

Backlash

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: SteveHummert] #11644299 06/03/16 12:08 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Exactly

Originally Posted By: steve hummert
Originally Posted By: Hard Rain

This.

^this^. I don't fish around any dock that anyone is already fishing on, just not right

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: Chris B] #11644305 06/03/16 12:11 PM
N
Neches Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N

yep

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644307 06/03/16 12:12 PM
M
Mike_Soriano Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
There's a guy in my neighborhood who i swear sits and stares out his window all day, waiting for a boat to get near(I mean within 50 yds) of his dock, and he will come tearing down there on His ATV..never says anything just throws spinnerbaits over your line until you leave, then he goes back to his house, until another boat comes. At least hes not rude about it but if people fishing bother you THAT bad, move off the water to a secluded stretch of woods where you don't encounter people, and vice versa.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644334 06/03/16 12:28 PM
EastTexasBassin Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I've had people tell me that I wasn't allowed to fish in "their" marina before. Even had one point to a "no fishing" sign that was on a walkway. I tried to explain that the sign means no fishing from the walkway and that I was on public water. He said he was "reporting me" lol

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644345 06/03/16 12:38 PM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
I don't have a problem with people fishing our docks , I do have a problem with hearing the weekend warriors casting their jigs into our boat. Hard to shrug that one off. If you can't cast accurately then cast into slips that don't have boats in them. Its like a person who can't pitch a baseball skipping a wide open field to throw the ball into the front of people's houses then moving to the neighbor's house

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644375 06/03/16 12:51 PM
S
Slade Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I don't fish boat docks very often, but when I do, if I see some people fishing one or in this case if it was low light and I couldn't see him sooner, I would have trolled out and went to the next one. I respect those fishing docks and shoreline much like boats in front of me fishing one way or the other. Similar to the discussion everyone was having about Ike's comments, I treat these situations the same.

PB 10.58 Joe Pool

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide