Forums59
Topics1,039,309
Posts13,962,661
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644381 06/03/16 12:54 PM
D
DAN-O Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
One dock owner on Lake Arlington that has rope tied around his dock's pilings to keep anyone from casting under his dock...he has a few trees suspended on ropes, and tries to block it off from any boater access. He tries to run people off all the time.

Only other dock owner I have been confronted by was on Lake Fork during the middle of a thunderstorm. They has a bass boat and a pontoon boat suspended by lifts up high in their stalls. We simply went up under the pontoon to get out of the lightning as I had my wife and daughter with me. A lady started yelling something at their house and here comes a guy on an ATV hauling tail down to their dock to run us off in the middle of the storm. I simply told him we were just trying to get out of the weather for a bit until it clears. He didn't care. He wanted us to leave, so we did. I could see it if we just went there for no reason, but when a storm pops up on you, I don't like being a lightning rod when you don't have to be.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644408 06/03/16 01:08 PM
FMJag64 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
The dock owners I've ran into on Athens have always been very nice. That being said, I've always kind of gone by the rule that if there is someone on a dock or fishing from their land, i typically will swing it wide and pass on by trying not to interrupt them. I just always thought if i were the one in the boat, i have unlimited options on where to fish while someone on a dock has limited options. Just my take but has worked out so far.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644429 06/03/16 01:16 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
I bank fished a long time before I could afford any kind of boat. I feel very blessed now to have kayaks and a nice older boat. I still remember very well my bank fishing days and wishing I had a boat and I try to be very respectful of anyone who is fishing from the bank or a dock. I figure I can go anywhere I want to on the lake and they can't so I let them have their spot every time!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644433 06/03/16 01:17 PM
T Bird Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I paid for this dock. It's mine. Stay the hell away from it! frkazoid

Okie by birth, Texan by choice.
[Linked Image]
USAF "Thunderbirds" Alumni 1985-1989

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644476 06/03/16 01:40 PM
J
justme1581 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
Have no problems with guys fishing my dock (especially kids, in fact, sometimes I have a bag of lures that I no longer use and take out and give to them) , but not to happy when guys bounce lures off of my boat or hang up and break off hooks where we walk...I fish docks but use lures like a weightless senko around anyone's boat, and go way around if someone is fishing..many guys fishing the dock think they are pro's and try to 'cast" between the dock and the boat and don't have the ability, they could motor around to the other side and fish the same water and not bang off the boat...a little courtesy and care of other peoples property goes a long way..

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644501 06/03/16 01:52 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I can understand some dock owner's frustrations. I have a co-worker with a place on Lake Livingston. Folks kept breaking their fishing lights while casting under the dock. So her hubby put mesh wire all the way around where the lights are. Last weekend some sorry son of a gun hung their lure in the wire. Instead of cutting his line or untangling the lure from the wire, this fisherman cut a 6" diameter hole in the mesh wire to retrieve his lure.

Some dock owners go overboard, but it's things like above that gives them more ammunition. I just can't imagine how someone thinks it's acceptable to damage someone else's property over a lure.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644506 06/03/16 01:57 PM
E
eggs'isled Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
well the problem is there are morons who do snag lures/hooks on peoples docks, boat seats, covers, ladders, ect. ect. and they break them off instead of getting them out so anyone fishing around their dock is a problem to them, doesn't matter if you can place a jig in the tightest spots and never hit a thing - you are a fisherman...not fair...but not all dock owners are bad guy's either, I have had more tell me about brush piles they have placed around their docks than harass me...

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: reelswift] #11644512 06/03/16 02:01 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: reelswift
Exactly

Originally Posted By: steve hummert
Originally Posted By: Hard Rain
Originally Posted By: BAGaBass
[quote=Chris B]If someone is on the dock with a fishing pole in hand, I wouldn't get closer than a cast away. That would be no different than you moving in on a boat fishing.

+1 I will even make a really wide circle around someone bank fishing. To me it is all about respect if they are there first and fishing let them have their spot. No way I am fishing a dock if someone is already fishing from any part of that dock.

^this^. I don't fish around any dock that anyone is already fishing on, just not right

This, I usually make a wide circle around anyone who is fishing from the bank or a dock. It's about courtesy and respect, if you give it you will receive it. From the other persons perspective, how would you like someone on a boat who can cover the entire lake come up on you and fish that little stretch of bank you are limited too.

You do have the right to fish every drop of water in the lake because it is public domain, and there is nothing legally wrong with that. But that doesn't always mean you should.

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644517 06/03/16 02:02 PM
B
bogey♂ Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I usually end up having a conversation with them. I have ran into some that don't like you being there, but courtesy goes a long way.

There is a dock owner on Fork that I'll go see almost every time that I am there and we are on a first name basis now smile

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮
you know, nothing wrong with seven men who met on the internet going for a swim together
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644590 06/03/16 02:32 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
So far nothing but good responses. I agree with y'all. Courtesy goes a long way.

When I had a place on Cypress Springs I didn't mind at all. Over the course of the time I had my place I only had to lecture 4-5 fishermen about how they went about it (bouncing weights off my boat etc). I usually tried to start up conversation and most of them were friendly. But there were plenty who were "know it alls" with an attitude. You know, the ones with fake sponsorship stickers on their boats and jerseys on. They were too serious to have a friendly conversation. For the friendly ones I would share where the brush piles were along our bank and other info I knew about the lake if they asked.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644653 06/03/16 02:53 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I agree with moving on if someone is legitimately fishing their dock unless they invite you in to fish. That being said, I have fished the back sides while Somone was fishing from the frog of their dock, and they were more than pleasant. Some bad apples, but some really good folks out there. Make friends in the process, it is just fishing (most of the time)!

Last edited by David Burton; 06/03/16 02:56 PM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644661 06/03/16 02:56 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Many years ago there was an old woman that reminded me of Granny Clampett in the back of Double Creek on Fork. Double is the first creek to the right as you pass under Birch Creek bridge Hwy 154.

Me and two buddies were fishing near her dock during the spring time. It was a long L-shaped dock and there was a lot of water to fish back behind it. Her house was up on the hill from her dock.

All of a sudden we hear a shotgun blast from the house and here she comes on a riding lawnmower! She walks out on the dock with a pump shotgun and sits down in a lawnchair just glaring at us. She has the shotgun laid across her lap.

I look back at my guys and said, Boy, it's lunch time!

We head into Rainswood Marina and order lunch. While we are there I tell one of the other guides about the woman. He says, "Yep, she did the same thing to us a couple weeks ago." I call Gary Dugan, who was the GW for that part of the lake. He comes to Rainswood to meet us. We tell him the story and Gary says, "Yeah, I've talked to her about doing that to people a couple of times before. She is a mean old bitty."

We stopped fishing her dock that day!

Last edited by Ken A.; 06/03/16 02:57 PM.

Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644673 06/03/16 03:03 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Double Branch, Ken. you're getting forgetful in your old age roflmao

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: exactawheel] #11644680 06/03/16 03:06 PM
S
stetson Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Had this happen to me couple spring ago in a working mans on Leon found a 4.5 locked on on the side of a dock after fishing her for about 20 min and about ready to eat this old lady came running out saying that was her daddy fish and that I had no right to catch it, I politely told her I was in a tourney had my other two and needed it to win and that it would be released, she still was persistent saying that if I caught it she would call the law, while all this was going on I was still messing with her, I told her that it was public water and that I was gonna catch her, about 5 min later I caught it and she called the law right there after I boxed it, they told her there was nothing they could do! banana

Last edited by stetson; 06/03/16 03:07 PM.
Re: Dock owners irritated that you are fishing around their docks? [Re: fouzman] #11644688 06/03/16 03:12 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Double Branch, Ken. you're getting forgetful in your old age roflmao

Branch....

Creek....

Whatever..... wink

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread