Print Thread
Cast Netting from banks or yaks? #11643086 06/02/16 08:31 PM
B
BruceV9er Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
About 6 months ago, I was kayaking along the Fort Worth Nature Center water channel. I brought my cast net to be hand thrown from the boat/canoe/kayak launch point. I needed some live bait for dem Gators (Just kidding). I wanted the live bait for crappie. Two Starsky and Hutch fellers approached me. They informed me that I cannot not cast net from the banks.

There's no sign that says you can't cast net at the FTWNC. Also, I've read the TPWD cast net regulations and in no way does it say you can't cast net from the banks.

My run-in with the "wannabe" Texas Parks and Wildlife Game Wardens left me uneasy as they both look irate about something and my kayak. They kept shouting that it was illegal for me to cast net from the Fort Worth Nature Center's banks. They both told me to get into my rubber boat (lol....actually its Rotomolded Polyethylene/plastic mannnnn wink ) and then go casting from the channels in my yak.

I don't know if any Yak-ers are affected by this at the FTWNC but, just want to get any insight. As for the wannabe law-regulators....I just didn't want to get too into an argument with them. Who knows what peeps are carrying nowadays and they could've left me for dem Gators! I just left and proceeded to fish with my Rat-L-Traps. Thanks y'all.

Bruce V....Seriously, The real Bruce Lee;-)
Re: Cast Netting from banks or yaks? [Re: BruceV9er] #11643200 06/02/16 09:18 PM
SeaAggie2015 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'm not going to pretend to know the laws on cast netting, but it sounds bogus. Why would a water body disallow cast nets from the bank but not from a boat. You could literally net the same exact areas from a yak. They probably had caught a few fish from there or had some kind of trap or lines around there, and didn't want a cast netter messing it up. People can get awful stingy with public property.
To make my point.
There is a lake that I used to fish working man tournaments every week at. Tournaments ran 6-10 on Monday nights. There was this one dock that seemed to out do the rest when it comes to flipping, and it almost always produces a fish or 2 worth talking about. Thing is, it fishes best right after sunset when the dock has the lights on. Any time the owner would notice somebody fishing his dock, he'd turn the lights off and on several times to scare off fish, then leave the light off. He'd even do it if he heard an outboard coming his way. You'd have to stop 6-7 docks down the way and fish to it real quick to avoid being seen. It was some real stealth ninja stuff. Anyways, point is, people will say stuff and do things to protect something that is public.

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but giving the local game warden a ring wouldn't hurt just to make sure you're okay.

Re: Cast Netting from banks or yaks? [Re: BruceV9er] #11643405 06/02/16 11:12 PM
W
weklfrog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
FWNCR guidelines prohibit any fishing from shore within the park. I assume that cast netting would fall under that rule.
http://www.fwnaturecenter.org/guidelines/

Last edited by weklfrog; 06/02/16 11:17 PM.
Re: Cast Netting from banks or yaks? [Re: weklfrog] #11643504 06/03/16 12:09 AM
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: weklfrog
FWNCR guidelines prohibit any fishing from shore within the park. I assume that cast netting would fall under that rule.
http://www.fwnaturecenter.org/guidelines/

Correct, using a net is fishing... Therefore illegall from the bank.

Formerly known as Scooter79

Re: Cast Netting from banks or yaks? [Re: BruceV9er] #11644125 06/03/16 04:30 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
new one on me. but not a big deal when you have a RUBBER boat! frkazoid

Re: Cast Netting from banks or yaks? [Re: SeaAggie2015] #11645223 06/03/16 06:50 PM
M
marcus254 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: SeaAggie2015
I'm not going to pretend to know the laws on cast netting, but it sounds bogus. Why would a water body disallow cast nets from the bank but not from a boat. You could literally net the same exact areas from a yak. They probably had caught a few fish from there or had some kind of trap or lines around there, and didn't want a cast netter messing it up. People can get awful stingy with public property.
To make my point.
There is a lake that I used to fish working man tournaments every week at. Tournaments ran 6-10 on Monday nights. There was this one dock that seemed to out do the rest when it comes to flipping, and it almost always produces a fish or 2 worth talking about. Thing is, it fishes best right after sunset when the dock has the lights on. Any time the owner would notice somebody fishing his dock, he'd turn the lights off and on several times to scare off fish, then leave the light off. He'd even do it if he heard an outboard coming his way. You'd have to stop 6-7 docks down the way and fish to it real quick to avoid being seen. It was some real stealth ninja stuff. Anyways, point is, people will say stuff and do things to protect something that is public.

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but giving the local game warden a ring wouldn't hurt just to make sure you're okay.

im guessing they dont want stuck abandoned nests in shallows to protect widlife or people

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide