Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Coast Guard's take on lighting #11631605 05/28/16 04:21 AM
N
nate king Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
I sent them an email and this is the response I got back. I also sent them a picture of a boat with LED lighting on the rub rails (still waiting to hear back)

USCGA response-

Nathan,

Marine Safety Alert 10-15 issued by the Coast Guard in November addressed after-market navigation lights (http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/1015.pdf). After reading the Alert, if you still have questions I would have to refer you to the Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety or the nearest Coast Guard facility for a final determination.

Thank you for your service and interest in safe boating.

Perry R. Taylor, DIR-Vd
Branch Chief, Vessel Examination
and Recreational Boating Safety Visitation
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary

sponsored by Photo Bucket LLC

Originally Posted By: Anchorman
I'm thinking Nate is probably right.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11631636 05/28/16 05:28 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Thank you for doing that research and posting the link to the Safety Alert. It reviews some of the same concerns I have brought up on here. Now we've got a notice that the USCG is concerned about the unchecked addition of lighting that isn't compliant. (Note that even a light that could be compliant can become non-compliant when improperly installed.) Many people who do this may mean well, but they aren't always equipped or sufficiently informed to insure that what they install is compliant. I see a LOT of lighting that is probably not compliant. This is a new thing that wasn't an issue a decade ago. I for one hope the trend can be corrected or it will get ridiculous, it it already isn't.

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11631653 05/28/16 06:55 AM
N
nate king Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
This is the important part of the SECURITY ALERT-

Some manufacturers are producing and distributing navigation lights that do not meet the certification
requirements indicated above. These lights are typically less expensive, making them a tempting
choice for uninformed consumers. Use of lights that do not provide the proper chromaticity, luminous
intensity, or cut-off angles
could result in the issuance of a notice of violation or potentially cause an
accident
. Recreational boaters should ensure each purchased navigation light contains the following
information on the light or its packaging: [b][/b][u][/u]

I hate de but I served in the CG for quite some time, so I feel like this is the only soap box I can stand on and feel like I am saying the right thing here, cause I sure cant fish worth a dam......haha every one be safe this holiday weekend and take a minute out of your weekend and remember what its really about!

BM1 United States Coast Guard 2003-2009 Semper Paratus! flag

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11631976 05/28/16 03:57 PM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
"Coast Guard" ...... for the coast.....the oceans.....yep, got it......mean time, on Texas lakes, our game wardens have enough sense to worry about other things.....peace

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: txmasterpo] #11632029 05/28/16 04:30 PM
L
Lou r Pitcher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
"Coast Guard" ...... for the coast.....the oceans.....yep, got it.

Not correct sir.

If you check, for the waters in Texas enforced by our Texas game wardens, they all are governed by and must follow the Texas Water Safety Act.... a State law which itself references and uses the USCG regs.

Here on Texas reservoirs rivers and creeks, the USCG regs are the law.

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11632066 05/28/16 04:58 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Thanks for the update, you can't de enough when it comes to safety.

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11632225 05/28/16 07:09 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
a guy in our club put them on his boat and asked a game warden and he said it was OK with him. They could be easily seen.

I have never seen a coast guard patrol boat or auxiliary boat on Lake Fork. But on some lakes they are very active.

(Texoma, Hubbard)

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11632889 05/29/16 02:13 AM
P
pil,b Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Coast guard on Amistad fish

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11632939 05/29/16 02:36 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: nate king
This is the important part of the SECURITY ALERT-

Some manufacturers are producing and distributing navigation lights that do not meet the certification
requirements indicated above. These lights are typically less expensive, making them a tempting
choice for uninformed consumers. Use of lights that do not provide the proper chromaticity, luminous
intensity, or cut-off angles
could result in the issuance of a notice of violation or potentially cause an
accident
. Recreational boaters should ensure each purchased navigation light contains the following
information on the light or its packaging: [b][/b][u][/u]

I hate de but I served in the CG for quite some time, so I feel like this is the only soap box I can stand on and feel like I am saying the right thing here, cause I sure cant fish worth a dam......haha every one be safe this holiday weekend and take a minute out of your weekend and remember what its really about!

BM1 United States Coast Guard 2003-2009 Semper Paratus! flag
Some of you still argue the point read the red writing that is law regardless what a local GW says just like I been trying to tell yall this whole time and was only trying to tell yall those rub rail lights was not legal.

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: pil,b] #11633295 05/29/16 01:15 PM
T
Thinwater skinner Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: pil,b
Coast guard on Amistad fish

I have seen and been stopped by the Coast Guard on Falcon as well!~!!!

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: txmasterpo] #11634191 05/30/16 12:07 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: txmasterpo
"Coast Guard" ...... for the coast.....the oceans.....yep, got it......mean time, on Texas lakes, our game wardens have enough sense to worry about other things.....peace
If thats the case then why are all boats CG regulated think about it if thats so then why wouldnt each states wildlife and fisheries department handle all of those regs on boat requirments were do you think all the boating rules come from the CG all over the US.

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11634214 05/30/16 12:23 AM
T
txmasterpo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
T
You guys do what you want..... I can read..... it's ambiguous, "could result"......USCG approved lights are a minimum standard...... quality LED lighting exceeds that standard......and one final thing for the jack wagons.....if you run into a boat that's lit up like a Christmas tree, you should not be allowed to operate a boat, EVER!

I've been a bass boat owner since I was 13......37 continuous years....never a ticket, never an accident....

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: nate king] #11634236 05/30/16 12:39 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Has anybody seen the new Nav lights on the Nitros? I look at the boats when I go to Bass Pro and I cannot see how their lights meet the standards; but surely they do.

Last edited by grout-scout; 05/30/16 12:40 AM.
Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: grout-scout] #11644042 06/03/16 03:23 AM
N
nate king Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Has anybody seen the new Nav lights on the Nitros? I look at the boats when I go to Bass Pro and I cannot see how their lights meet the standards; but surely they do.

they dont

Re: Coast Guard's take on lighting [Re: grout-scout] #11644159 06/03/16 05:21 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

You may have missed the thread where I discussed a special report made by the USCG. Their limited ability to inspect and oversee compliance by boat manufacturers has resulted in the manufacturers losing focus on abiding by the rules. Market demand for a cool pimped-out look has driven them to forget about the rulebook in some areas. In recent years, an unhealthy trend of poor adherence to regulations has been developing. The report discussed audit findings where numerous deficiencies were noted and correction notices were given to manufacturers. Unfortunately, the USCG must count on self-policing by manufacturers as they can't inspect every production plant. Just because a production plant built it doesn't mean it passes USCG muster, and they have a problem with this. The CG was clear that finding violations on in-production hulls was all too common. They are working on cooperative outreach efforts to make manufacturers more aware of regulations and bring attention to compliance and correction of bad designs. Compliance comes ahead of "cool" in the priority scheme.

That same USCG concern has bubbled down to the individual owner level as well. To that end, the CG has issued the following safety alert:

USCG Safety Alert

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 06/03/16 05:22 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide