Page 1 of 2 1 2
Key West #11599122 05/12/16 04:27 PM
T
theduke Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
So the old lady and I are going to take a trip Spring/Summer 2017, I'm looking into going to Key West. Where is a good place to stay, a good off shore charter, and what time of year would be better?

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11600103 05/13/16 12:19 AM
J
jugmaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I'm going in June, I will tell you what I know

Father and Son
ELITE ANGLERS
Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11600148 05/13/16 12:57 AM
T
theduke Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Just don't want to drop a bunch of money and it be a bust. So any info gained will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11610146 05/18/16 03:34 PM
B
Bald Eagle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Just got back. We stayed at the Chelsea House Hotel. Just a couple of blocks off Duval Street where all the action is. I think it was built in the 1800's now converted to a B&B. Little pricey though.

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11610297 05/18/16 04:35 PM
Patrick M Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I've been several times. Are you looking to stay specifically in Key West? Or are you open to other spots? What are you wanting to do while you are there?

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11612246 05/19/16 02:47 PM
T
theduke Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Key West isn't a must just looking for a good trip on beautiful water and good fishing. Plus, excellent accommodations.

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11612755 05/19/16 06:34 PM
Patrick M Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
In Key West we've stayed at the The Inn at Key West and the Best Western. The pool at The Inn is amazing, I think it's the largest pool in Key West, has a nice bar and good atmosphere. It's also about a mile or so away from Duval St. The Best Western was the nicest place we have stayed in the lower Keys. The room was incredibly nice and had a good view of the water.

We have also stayed at the Pelican Cove Resort in Islamorada. This is a great place to stay if you are looking at staying in the Upper Keys.

As far as fishing. We have went out with several guides/charters.

Jim Willcox is based out of Bud N Mary's in Islamorada. He is a back country guy that will definitely put you on fish. He works hard for you and is a great guy to be on a boat with for a day. His boat was an 18' Action Craft Skiff.

High Stakes Charters is based out of Key West and they are an offshore/reef fishing setup. Although we luckily caught a great sailfish while we were with them, I didn't personally feel like they were working as hard as some of the other boats. They were a father/son business and were nice enough guys. But, we asked for an offshore trip targeting Marlin and they had us anchored up fishing the reef for half a day. Once again, it was a successful trip and we had a good time, I just feel like you could spend your money better elsewhere. This boat was a 53' Striker.

Rick Killgore is based out of Islamorada. He is an independent guide and is a fantastic fisherman. We had the best time with him. He doesn't have the biggest boat, or best equipment out there. But he can flat out fish, and he is very instructional. I highly recommend him. Call him and you'll instantly tell a difference between the other guides. When I booked my trip we talked fishing for 30 minutes before we settled on what we would be doing. The boat was

Dream Catcher Charters is based out of Key West. We went on a Permit fishing trip and it was pretty fun. We ended up catching some yellow tail snapper and a few tarpon. We fished with the owner Steve Lamp. Talk about a self absorbed ego maniac. He told us all day long how good of a fisherman he was, but we never could get on the permit. All of his other boats out that day and the following days had no trouble finding permit. I wouldn't discourage using them, as I am sure they have several good guides working for them. But, I would make sure I was fishing with anyone other than Steve. We fished from a 24' Yellowfin Bay Boat.

Main Attraction Charters is based out of Marathon. We had a great time with these guys on a Swordfishing trip. And, although we didn't catch a sword, we did catch tons of Mahi and ended up catching a 57" Cow on the way to the swordfishing spot. We had a great mate and the captain Marty worked hard for us. The boat was a 43' Torres.

If you are into snorkeling the Upper Keys seem to be better. There are plenty of things to do. But, the real history of the Florida Keys is in Key West. There are several museums and attractions to see. Some are necessary if you are down there. The Southernmost Point is a must do. Just because that's as far South in the US you can get. Hemingway house is neat, we go every time, even though we have seen it multiple times. And if you are into partying and a vibrant nightlife, you will be at home in Key West.

Honestly, we prefer more of a relaxing experience. So we stay in the Upper Keys now and spend a day or so in Key West. We spend half our time fishing, and half our time swimming, snorkeling, or checking stores/sites out. It's a great place to be. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11619260 05/23/16 03:21 AM
T
theduke Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
We are younger but looking for a relaxing trip,not really into the party scene. Thanks for all the advice this is what I'm looking for.

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11619322 05/23/16 03:49 AM
D
Dugie Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Just got back from Hawk"s Cay resort on Duck Key...it was awesome and the tarpon were biting, caught a bunch of other fish on my own wading and near bridges too. Went with Jeff Malone, tarpon time, and I would go back just to head back out with him, great guide.

Last edited by Dugie; 05/23/16 03:49 AM.

cid:FEA25972-4556-4A0C-92EF-E357DAEF0350/photo.JPG
Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11619630 05/23/16 01:18 PM
Shingles Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
We just got back yesterday. We vrbo.com for lodging since there was five of us. Duval street is for sure the bourbon St of key west. We fished with reel lucky charters and caught tons of snappers and groupers while fishing for tarpons. Had 5 big tarpons hooked up and broke off. Caught a 200 pound plus spinner shark and a large lemon shark as well.
FYI for your key lime pie, Kermit is the real deal!

Last edited by Shingles; 05/23/16 01:18 PM.
Re: Key West [Re: Patrick M] #11619991 05/23/16 03:23 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Thanks for the report.

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Key West [Re: Patrick M] #11619992 05/23/16 03:24 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Awesome report thanks

Originally Posted By: Patrick M
In Key West we've stayed at the The Inn at Key West and the Best Western. The pool at The Inn is amazing, I think it's the largest pool in Key West, has a nice bar and good atmosphere. It's also about a mile or so away from Duval St. The Best Western was the nicest place we have stayed in the lower Keys. The room was incredibly nice and had a good view of the water.

We have also stayed at the Pelican Cove Resort in Islamorada. This is a great place to stay if you are looking at staying in the Upper Keys.

As far as fishing. We have went out with several guides/charters.

Jim Willcox is based out of Bud N Mary's in Islamorada. He is a back country guy that will definitely put you on fish. He works hard for you and is a great guy to be on a boat with for a day. His boat was an 18' Action Craft Skiff.

High Stakes Charters is based out of Key West and they are an offshore/reef fishing setup. Although we luckily caught a great sailfish while we were with them, I didn't personally feel like they were working as hard as some of the other boats. They were a father/son business and were nice enough guys. But, we asked for an offshore trip targeting Marlin and they had us anchored up fishing the reef for half a day. Once again, it was a successful trip and we had a good time, I just feel like you could spend your money better elsewhere. This boat was a 53' Striker.

Rick Killgore is based out of Islamorada. He is an independent guide and is a fantastic fisherman. We had the best time with him. He doesn't have the biggest boat, or best equipment out there. But he can flat out fish, and he is very instructional. I highly recommend him. Call him and you'll instantly tell a difference between the other guides. When I booked my trip we talked fishing for 30 minutes before we settled on what we would be doing. The boat was

Dream Catcher Charters is based out of Key West. We went on a Permit fishing trip and it was pretty fun. We ended up catching some yellow tail snapper and a few tarpon. We fished with the owner Steve Lamp. Talk about a self absorbed ego maniac. He told us all day long how good of a fisherman he was, but we never could get on the permit. All of his other boats out that day and the following days had no trouble finding permit. I wouldn't discourage using them, as I am sure they have several good guides working for them. But, I would make sure I was fishing with anyone other than Steve. We fished from a 24' Yellowfin Bay Boat.

Main Attraction Charters is based out of Marathon. We had a great time with these guys on a Swordfishing trip. And, although we didn't catch a sword, we did catch tons of Mahi and ended up catching a 57" Cow on the way to the swordfishing spot. We had a great mate and the captain Marty worked hard for us. The boat was a 43' Torres.

If you are into snorkeling the Upper Keys seem to be better. There are plenty of things to do. But, the real history of the Florida Keys is in Key West. There are several museums and attractions to see. Some are necessary if you are down there. The Southernmost Point is a must do. Just because that's as far South in the US you can get. Hemingway house is neat, we go every time, even though we have seen it multiple times. And if you are into partying and a vibrant nightlife, you will be at home in Key West.

Honestly, we prefer more of a relaxing experience. So we stay in the Upper Keys now and spend a day or so in Key West. We spend half our time fishing, and half our time swimming, snorkeling, or checking stores/sites out. It's a great place to be. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11620399 05/23/16 06:14 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Pier House is nice , has a small private beach .

Marriott Suites is cheaper , but still nice , not downtown.

Depending on what you want to catch , consider the " Light tackle " boats
rather than the off shore sportfishermans.

Consider http://fishinkeywest.com/

I have fished with Capt Paul for years, He is no longer there

I will be booking with Capt Pepe for May 2017

Where else can you do this , 10 minutes from the dock ?

Would be happy to answer any question I can.

Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11620414 05/23/16 06:19 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
the fishing water along the keys is great, and key west is super mega expensive but if it is in you budget stay at key west and enjoy... if you trip is relaxation you might find other hotels or B&B on other keys that will be more relaxing.

Re: Key West [Re: theduke] #11649457 06/06/16 06:52 AM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I lived in Key West for a year back in 2000 when I got job transfer from Miami. Stayed at the place below for about three weeks until I found a permanent place to stay. Couldn't be too choosy as I had my cat and it was the first place I found that accepted pets after looking for a couple of days and hiding it while at Best Western. It was a great place to stay. Right on Duval, opposite end of all the entertainment but easily walking distance to all the most popular attractions and very safe. Definitely not the party types staying here when I was there. Not far from Ernest Hemingway's home. It seems the price has gone up a lot since my stay but it was definitely worth it compared to some of the other places I checked at the time. Became friends with the couple that either owned it or managed it as they said I could leave (Smokey) there for free any time I had to travel back to the mainland.

http://www.avalonbnb.com/key-west-rates.html

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide