Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
HDS 9 stopped working abruptly #11620063 05/23/16 03:51 PM
M. Alexander Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
My Lowrance unit at my console stopped working abruptly the other day. There was no warning, just went dead. This unit is just a few months old. It happened shortly after I maxed out the volume to my Sonic Hub while running down the lake, don't know if there may be a correlation. I checked all the fuses & they appear to be good. I don't have the time, nor is it my expertise to trouble shoot. I had Classic in Denton install it and I called Chris, but he said there may not be much he can do. Can anybody recommend a good shop to bring it to that's near Carrollton?

Last edited by M. Alexander aka deuce41; 05/23/16 03:51 PM.

Mark
Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11620122 05/23/16 04:17 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Changing a setting for the Sonic Hub from an HDS unit simply means an audio setting change command was sent to the Sonic Hub via the NMEA 2000 network. Doing that doesn't stress the HDS unit or increase its power demand, etc.. However, maxing out the volume on a Sonic Hub does increase the power demand for the Sonic Hub. This power increase may have tripped a breaker or blown a fuse somewhere between the Sonic Hub and the battery. It sounds like the HDS happens to tap its power from the same protected circuit that dropped out when the Sonic Hub went to max volume, causing both to lose power. A properly designed/installed system should never do this.

You said you "checked all the fuses" but didn't say if you were educated on all the fuses/breakers you actually have in your boat that are related to power for these devices. (There could be one near the battery, for instance.) I assume the HDS power cable has an inline fuse, and that this fuse is one you checked? The best thing to do is to use a voltmeter to check for 12V at the last fuse holder on the way to the HDS. This should be on the power cord. (You don't check voltage across the two fuseholder contacts; rather, you test the contact farthest from the HDS unit of those two, and get a Ground from another point such as the black wire on a dash gauge.)

I am betting you missed a fuse or breaker that protects shared power going to the HDS and the Sonic Hub. The fuses that look good may not be getting power because of one you missed. Do you have another HDS unit on the bow that can also control the Sonic Hub? If so, does the Sonic Hub still work? If it doesn't, you blew a fuse or breaker because of the Sonic Hub, and that dropped power to the HDS also. Another option: Connect any other HDS unit at the console temporarily to check for power up to rule out your HDS unit. I bet no HDS will power up with that cable because you have not yet found the blown fuse or tripped breaker. What brand boat? Does it have a digital circuit breaker system? (or fuses and manual breakers)?

Until things such as I discuss above are checked, an installer is passing the buck by saying "There's not much I can do." While it is true that the HDS could have failed and need factory service, nobody knows that for sure until power is accurately confirmed as dead or alive at the HDS connector. Checking fuses isn't all that is involved for a technician worth a hoot in diagnosing such a problem. Odds are 10 to 1 it's not the HDS.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 05/23/16 04:28 PM.
Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11620246 05/23/16 05:11 PM
M. Alexander Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thanks for such a detailed response, Flip. I'm a bit ashamed to say that I don't know all the fuses/breakers I actually have...wish I had more time & inclination to be more knowledgeable about this stuff. There are 3 fuse cases under my console I checked. I didn't take the time to trace their sources or destination, though. My boat is a 2014 Ranger. My bow unit does not control the Sonic Hub. I agree that a properly designed/installed system should never do this. Even with my limited knowledge of how electronics/circuitry work, the way it failed has me agreeing with your odds it isn't the HDS; sure hope it's not at least.

I'm off work tomorrow and will dig a little further into the circuitry. Hopefully I find the problem, and if not, at the very least educate myself a little before I have to hire out the work.

Mark
Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11621228 05/24/16 12:41 AM
Jason Gilstrap Offline
Mr. Lowrance
Mr. Lowrance
If you can take your 9 off and try it on another pwr source and see if it comes on. example if you buddy has a HDS unit or same pwr cord like the Elite or hooks units.

Jason Gilstrap LOWRANCE PRO STAFF / Get A Limit Outdoors www.getalimitoutdoors.com
Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11623776 05/24/16 11:48 PM
C
CDF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
The same thing happened to mine. Fuses were all good it was corrosion at fuse terminals. Every time I turned up the volume on the sonic hub it would shut off. Cleaned all terminal connections and it solved it.

Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11624598 05/25/16 04:02 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Update: There was nothing wrong with the HDS 9 or the Sonic Hub. deuce41 checked further on fuses and found the problem for his electronics outage. This is a good time to remind everyone getting work done to do due diligence to find someone who will install their accessories correctly.

He found a 3 Amp fuse blown - the fuse for the existing factory-installed Courtesy Lights circuit in his boat. The after-market installer connected BOTH the HDS 9 and the Sonic Hub to this circuit protected by a mere 3 Amp fuse.

Note that Lowrance recommends a dedicated 3A fuse for the HDS 9. (It probably won't exceed ~1 Amp, but 3A is the fuse size that's common.) Lowrance provides the Sonic Hub with a 15 Amp fuse installed in the fuse holder on the Sonic Hub itself as it can draw over 10 Amps in some scenarios. The power wire supplying power to the Sonic Hub needs a fuse also - to protect that wire if a short in the wiring harness occurs. Idealy, that fuse would be a 15 A fuse placed at the battery end of that wire. The feed wire should be sized to safely provide that amount of power. I do not know what size wire feeds power to the 3A Courtesy Light fuse, so that may or may not be an issue.

I do know that no professional should be adding a potential 11+ Amp load to an existing circuit the boat manufacturer wishes to protect with a 3 A fuse. Such an installation is faulty and destined to fail, which is exactly what happened in this case. There are many acceptable ways to do such an installation, but that wasn't one of them.

Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11624860 05/25/16 12:44 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
bang and he PAID someone to install this wrong.

Re: HDS 9 stopped working abruptly [Re: M. Alexander] #11636181 05/31/16 12:52 AM
B
brewski Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Wow Classic in Denton is going to get some bad press on this one!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide