Page 1 of 2 1 2
Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool #11604618 05/16/16 12:27 AM
S
saskeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I have a 25 year old son that lives in Mansfield. He drives across Joe Pool everyday to get to work in Cedar Hill. He called me up about a month ago and basically said that it is torture driving across JP and not having any gear to fish it. This past weekend my wife solved that problem as I sent him 3 nice rod/reel combos and a loaded Browning tackle box with all that he would need. He has fished the majority of his life but 95% of it has been from a bass boat. This afternoon he and his newly-wed bride went out for a few hours and bank-fished in one of the parks unsuccessfully. Anybody have any tips on how he might successfully bank fish Joe Pool? We are from San Antonio and he knows nothing about the lakes in the D/FW area. Thanks for your help!!!

On a side note, they are both Chiropractors and Michael works at Expressions Chiropractic and Rehab if anyone needs a good chiropractor.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11604671 05/16/16 12:58 AM
D
Daniel Mtanous Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Hey there Skeeter.

I fish avidly at the Cedar Hill State Park.

If you want to catch fish from the bank you need some minnows. The secret is to drop shot live minnows nose hooked (stab from the bottom and curl through the skull), about a foot and a half off the bottom. Maybe higher or lower depending on the day. Drag it across the floor and jig it up and down once or twice. Let it rest and you should feel the bite. You need to set the hook on the bite. I use #4 Gamakatsu Hooks with 3/8 lead weight. Also Bass only bite from 1 PM to 3 PM then it stops suddenly. The bite is really good all of a sudden then it isn't.

Tell him to buy minnows at The Oasis Marina or to bring his own. You can pay at The Oasis Marina to fish for carp and catfish.

Anyways, you need to Texas Rig up a Red Lizard, or use a swim head jig without skirts and a large "fish shaped" trailer with a boot instead of a straight tail (the minnow bait should be about the size of your palm to your middle finger). They should be the size of a standard Fluke but with a boot/paddle tail. Another good setup is to football head jig rig some crawfish plastic. Don't go overboard on the size and don't use skirts. My crawfish plastic is only about 3 inches long and has 2 appendages. At Wal-Mart or Dicks they sell some "Red Eye Rage" Football Jigs. At Dick's they have a better selection of plastics and there are some cheap ones for $1.50. There are of course more expensive ones which could or could not work better. If you see KVD Beaver Craw with Coffee Scent and check the size your plastic should be about half the size.

At Joe Pool it is a Shad/Crawfish lake.

Carp have been biting too.

Man, my back is killing me, could use a good chiropractor. wowowowooowwwww

PS Congratulations and Keep on Catching.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11605421 05/16/16 02:28 PM
S
saskeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Thanks Daniel! I have already forwarded this information to my son. He was excited. Any tips on good options/locations to fish from the bank. Down in San Antonio, the bank options are very limited and poor. He said the lady at the park directed him away from the ramps and toward the camp site areas. He said the water was super shallow (6-12") and freshly flooded. Thanks again!!!!

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11605433 05/16/16 02:33 PM
J
JoeyC Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Other two location I would recommend are Lynn Creek Park. There's a section of it known as Dog Leg but warning there's usually a bunch of people there.

At Lloyd park you can go way back up to Walnut Creek but again there's potential for there to be quite a few people there and it can get pretty muddy so bring your boots.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11605902 05/16/16 05:58 PM
D
Daniel Mtanous Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
There are 2 Parks, Lynn Creek and Lloyd Park. I have never gone fishing there except for one time at Lloyd Park and I had a really bad time getting situated.

I also live 10 minutes from the Cedar Hill State Park so I go there now.

The State Park has a whole section cut off and there is only 1 side available for fishing. I recommend you fish on the banks instead of the cement jetty. The cement jetty usually gets packed with people and it is full of giant boulders and an erosion net so anything that hits the bottom will most likely get stuck there.

The banks on the other hand of made of gravel and silt. This means you can drag your crawfish in most areas without constantly snagging.
I would just park at the boat ramp parking lot and fish the banks starting from the left side. If your at the boat ramp, facing the lake, then turn left and walk till you see the concrete bag wall. Start from there. Fish that area and walk the entire shore line. There are 2 other parking spaces if you keep going down the main road.

I have landed bass in the shore line of all 3 areas. (Boat Ramp, Kids Perch Pond, and Hiking Area)

Here are some pictures of the stuff I am recommending:

The Jig head I use:

Put something like this on it without a skirt and make sure it is around 3 inches long, don't buy large sizes (target fish are only 3 lbs):

And also use something like this:

Make sure the plastic fish is long. You want a nice size swim jig head too. The one in the picture is small but the shape of the jig head and the shape of the tail of the minnow is what matters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT!
IF YOU BUY MINNOWS (OR NET SHAD/MINNOWS YOURSELF) THEN USE THIS RIG TO GET FISH:

Click this link for a website with a little more information on rigging a drop shot.
https://fishinaddict.wordpress.com/category/info/

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11606071 05/16/16 06:55 PM
S
saskeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Thanks everybody!!!

Daniel, WOW, you just blew my mind! That was impressive!!! Thanks for your help!!!

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11607623 05/17/16 01:14 PM
D
Dr. Michael Bryant Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Thanks for all the tips. As my dad was saying, my wife and I live in Mansfield and I drive across Joe Pool every day. It has been torture not being able to fish it but now that I have all my equipment up here, I'm ready to get to catching. My wife and I went on Sunday to Lloyd Park. We started fishing near the campsites, then tried over by the ramp. Had no luck at either place. We tried white as well as chartreuse spinner baits, watermelon and red baby brush hogs, and watermelon and candy worms. These baits have served me well in the past in many of the south Texas lakes I have fished, so I thought I would start out with them and see how they would fair. Again, I know almost nothing about this lake or what the bass up here favor. So I appreciate all the help I can get.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11608111 05/17/16 04:46 PM
B
bcoop1723 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If he wants to fish out of my backseat whenever we can coordinate, he's welcome to.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: Dr. Michael Bryant] #11608408 05/17/16 06:57 PM
J
JoeyC Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Dr. Michael Bryant
Thanks for all the tips. As my dad was saying, my wife and I live in Mansfield and I drive across Joe Pool every day. It has been torture not being able to fish it but now that I have all my equipment up here, I'm ready to get to catching. My wife and I went on Sunday to Lloyd Park. We started fishing near the campsites, then tried over by the ramp. Had no luck at either place. We tried white as well as chartreuse spinner baits, watermelon and red baby brush hogs, and watermelon and candy worms. These baits have served me well in the past in many of the south Texas lakes I have fished, so I thought I would start out with them and see how they would fair. Again, I know almost nothing about this lake or what the bass up here favor. So I appreciate all the help I can get.

I live about 3 minutes from Lynn Creek. There's a ton of ponds in all these neighborhoods that are much more fun for bank fishing in my opinion. I can show you a few. I also go out quite a bit on JP solo so there's always an open spot.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: Dr. Michael Bryant] #11609567 05/18/16 06:54 AM
D
Daniel Mtanous Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I know the feeling. I am a spinner bait guy myself. Nothing has beaten live minnows.

I have only caught 1 bass out of that lake on a Chartreuse spinner bait, then promptly lost my lure when it flew off my line. (It was Booyah brand with double solid Chartreuse Blades)
I have only caught 1 bass on red lizard too. (Texas Rigged. Dragged across the floor.)
I have only caught 1 bass on a Mepps Inline Spinner. (Fire Tiger Blase)
I have only caught 2 or 3 bass with the Swim Jig/Boot Tailed Fluke Combo. (Which I got from a "Lucky Tackle Box". It's a mail-order lure website which ships you a variety of lures for $20 every months. It's a surprise but they make videos of the lures to show you how to fish them in case you don't know how.)

But using a minnow I can catch at least four or five off of a dozen minnows. (Most are small bass thought. Only have caught 4 that were nice size.) I haven't gone fishing again though because the minnow guy here only sells them on weekends and I like to fish during the week. And Like I said before, the fishing window is sooo specific it is worthless for me to go any other hour of the day.)

If you fish it like the pictures you will catch something for sure. (Even my mother caught one. A nice one too) If you went to LLoyed Park. The Oasis Marina isn't to far away. Buy yourself a bag of minnows there and try that technique over there. I am sure the fishing pressure isn't as horrible as it is at Cedar Hill State Park.

Last edited by Daniel Mtanous; 05/18/16 07:02 AM.
Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: JoeyC] #11610023 05/18/16 02:53 PM
D
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Yeah we will definitely have to coordinate to fish some of these ponds. I see people fishing at the ponds on England Rd. every day. Seems that place is very popular. Although I'm not sure if it's due to the location or how good the fishing is there. So I would be interested in finding other ponds to fish. I imagine my wife would enjoy that more than bank fishing JP.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11610046 05/18/16 03:00 PM
D
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Daniel,I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty hesitant to use live bait. I like the thrill of fooling the fish. Although, if I'm not having any luck with the other stuff I may have to try it to keep my wife interested, so I appreciate the tips on how to use the minnows if I decide to explore that option. Happy wife = happy life.

Last edited by Dr. Michael Bryant; 05/18/16 03:30 PM.
Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11610350 05/18/16 04:52 PM
C
Capt. Jarod Peterson Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
19XD bubble gum color crank bait with a rooster tail trailer. If that doesn't work try a 5 oz. football jig with again, a rooster tail trailer. My go to baits whenever I fish.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: saskeeter] #11610394 05/18/16 05:10 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
IMO the bass are so spread out and there are so many people who bank fish Pool, I just don't see you catching many in most spots that you can get to. Then, they'll usually be small fish. I launch out of Loyd Park and most of the people seem to be fishing for catfish around there. I get offshore just out of their casting range and can pick up bass or pick them up on the shore where bank fishermen can't get to. A pond would be much better and afford you the oppurtunity to move around to get to the fish.

I'd honestly look into picking up something like a 2 man bass buster with a trolling motor where you can get on the water in sheltered areas move around a bit. You get one of those or kayaks, which are becoming popular and you'll have much more fun.

Re: Looking for some help for my son on Joe Pool [Re: Bobby Milam] #11611082 05/18/16 09:48 PM
D
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Bobby,
You're probably right, my best bet is probably ponds. I would love to get myself a small little boat with a trolling motor so I could get out onto the lake. Gotta get myself a truck first, then I'll look into getting myself a little boat. Probably in my 5-year plan, not in the immediate future.

Big Tex, I'll look into finding those and give them a shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide