Forums59
Topics1,037,311
Posts13,926,067
Members144,132
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11609745 05/18/16 12:52 PM
plasma800 Offline
Angler
Angler
Yeah man, I don't know.. sucks to have to take it off. When I installed mine I installed on a quick disconnect bracket with the thought that I might buy a tour as a backup if mine dies, or has any issues.

Wondering though, why is this your second one? Two boats? First defective?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: plasma800] #11610017 05/18/16 02:50 PM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: plasma800
Yeah man, I don't know.. sucks to have to take it off. When I installed mine I installed on a quick disconnect bracket with the thought that I might buy a tour as a backup if mine dies, or has any issues.

My first one is only a year old. It started leaking around the motor and obviously an electric motor and water doesn't mix. So rather than wait for the 3-4 weeks for my closest service center to get to it and repair it, I figured I would buy another one and have the first one fixed. This way I won't be out of commission.

Last night, I took the control board out of my old one and put it in the new one. The new one works correctly now. So now I'm going to fight with MG to try to replace the control board for me. I see now reason to have to involve a service center. I'm willing to ship the control board to them and have them test it before they send me a new one. This would save them the expense of having to pay a service center to do the warranty work. I'll update as we make progress.

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11610203 05/18/16 03:56 PM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Called MG tech support and got a good dude on the phone. After listening to my story and asking a few questions, he agreed it was the control board. He said they generally do not deal with the consumer directly concerning parts, but being the xi5 is a fairly new product with some recent changes, they are more hands on with them. Long story short, they are mailing me a new control board, and I should have it Friday.

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11612608 05/19/16 05:27 PM
plasma800 Offline
Angler
Angler
SWEET! Smart idea! One Two punch fix on the first one, you've got a perfect backup!!
Originally Posted By: PowPowOl'Son
Originally Posted By: plasma800

My first one is only a year old. It started leaking around the motor and obviously an electric motor and water doesn't mix. So rather than wait for the 3-4 weeks for my closest service center to get to it and repair it, I figured I would buy another one and have the first one fixed. This way I won't be out of commission.

Last night, I took the control board out of my old one and put it in the new one. The new one works correctly now. So now I'm going to fight with MG to try to replace the control board for me. I see now reason to have to involve a service center. I'm willing to ship the control board to them and have them test it before they send me a new one. This would save them the expense of having to pay a service center to do the warranty work. I'll update as we make progress.

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11612671 05/19/16 05:52 PM
Bartemus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have begun having an issue with mine also. One of my two batteries is really warm after charging. Light goes red to green. Sometimes when I try to speed up, the light goes green to red and the forward motion just cuts off. I originally thought maybe I had the remote in some mode that would not allow me increase the speed...J&J marine says a warm battery after charging may mean that the battery is about to go bad. Last time I was out, I had no issues with it but I didn't use the trolling motor over an hour. I had charged it longer also. The first thing I will do is re-calibrate the foot pedal and the remote. Then I will replace the warm battery. I'll take it to a MG svc center at Lake Fork if that doesn't correct the issue.

Bart

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11612689 05/19/16 05:59 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Why not test the deep cycle batteries? If they are the flooded cell type (conventional), you can check how well each cell is charging in just a few minutes right where the battery sits by using a hydrometer. (A good one can be had for $10-$15 typically.) I often use this tool to diagnose a problem caused by low voltage. Remember a battery voltage can look fine with no load or minor load, then plummet the instant the TM motor kicks on.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 05/19/16 06:05 PM.
Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: Bartemus] #11612700 05/19/16 06:03 PM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Bartemus
I have begun having an issue with mine also. One of my two batteries is really warm after charging. Light goes red to green. Sometimes when I try to speed up, the light goes green to red and the forward motion just cuts off. I originally thought maybe I had the remote in some mode that would not allow me increase the speed...J&J marine says a warm battery after charging may mean that the battery is about to go bad. Last time I was out, I had no issues with it but I didn't use the trolling motor over an hour. I had charged it longer also. The first thing I will do is re-calibrate the foot pedal and the remote. Then I will replace the warm battery. I'll take it to a MG svc center at Lake Fork if that doesn't correct the issue.

Bart

I bet you indeed have battery problems. I hope that is the problem...much simpler than lots of the other things!

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11613041 05/19/16 08:56 PM
Bartemus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That is an excellent idea. I'll go to O'Reilly Auto Parts and get a hydrometer and ask them to tell me how to use it. Im sure hoping it is the battery!

Regards,

Bart

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11613054 05/19/16 09:01 PM
S
Stanfo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Have gone through 2 of these, in the video it is trying to get the GPS lock or "fix", it usually gives up and beeps when it cant get the lock. The worst thing I dealt with on this motor is that when in anchor mode the head will start spinning and will do so until it rips the cable from the GPS motherboard, happened to me twice. Technician couldnt help or wasnt knowledgeable enough to do anything for me. Ended up sending it off to get repaired and bought the Minn Kota Ulterra, Far and above a much better product than the Xi5. Only problem I have had with it is when I ran into something and knocked the stow/deploy sensor out of whack and it would try to spin (just like the Xi5) when I tried to stow it, stopped it in time and had to realign the magnets that sense the position for the stow/deploy sequence to fix. The Xi5 had a lot of bugs that Motorguide needs to work out and until they do I wouldnt recommend anyone get one. Send it back under warranty and get you an Ulterra, the self deploy is life changing and the motor is just a beast. I have always been a Motorguide guy, but as far as the wireless motors go Im definitely a Minn Kota fan.

Brady Stanford
O. H. Ivie Guide
World Record Holder 🏆
Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11613971 05/20/16 03:59 AM
plasma800 Offline
Angler
Angler
i must admit, I really wish I had the auto deploy.... but I wanted the integration with the HDS units, which I must admit, is cool in itself...

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11616665 05/21/16 09:21 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I thought since I was following this one and had already posted on it, I would end with this one. So,

Well, I did get my new Xi5 with Pinpoint GPS this week, and got it installed Thursday without any problems. Took it to the lake Friday for a test run and I really, really love this new toy! Worked like it was advertised, no problems.

Motorguide has revised their setup and the motors are now shipped with the latest Lowrance interface, so the updating is easier. I had to call MG and ask about why I was not getting the promps to update software in the motor - like it said in the instructions. Didn't need to to cause it was already there.

Re: Problem with new Motorguide xi5 [Re: PowPowOl'Son] #11616758 05/21/16 10:32 PM
plasma800 Offline
Angler
Angler
dude for real, I love my Xi5.... I use heading lock like crazy! even on banks... i just set to a low speed, heading lock, use the pedal to pick a direction (or the remote) and when i need to adjust just nudge the pedal. No matter what the wind does, the boat just goes right where I want it to .

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide