Forums59
Topics1,039,646
Posts13,968,356
Members144,210
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How to catch catfish at Lake Tawakoni from the bank [Re: Going Fishing. How about you?] #11591879 05/09/16 06:14 PM
C
catcrap Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Going Fishing. How about you?
Thinking of going Arm point this week. Anybody been and is this a good place to start bank fishing for some catfish? Thanks for the help.

According to this post it is. Main thing is to look at the wind direction and pick your location accordingly.

Give man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach man to fish, he'll sit on a boat and drink beer all day.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11592351 05/09/16 08:49 PM
B
bknotts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
where do you get ghost minnows?

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11592980 05/10/16 12:59 AM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Are ghost minnows the ones that are in the shallows with what looks like a white / clear spot on the top of their head .

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11594404 05/10/16 06:21 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: DarrellSimpson
Are ghost minnows the ones that are in the shallows with what looks like a white / clear spot on the top of their head .
they are in the shallow but I didn't notice their head... ghost minnows have long slender body that look almost transparent color like glass, their other name is "glass minnows". You can find ghost minnows at any boat ramps in Tawakoni. You can seine in almost any shallow shoreline water that has clear bottom, ie, without muddy or silt bottom. You can't catch gm with 3/8" mesh net, you need net with 1/4 " mesh to catch them.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/10/16 06:55 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: catcrap] #11594431 05/10/16 06:31 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Duplicate post. ...

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/10/16 06:45 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: catcrap] #11594433 05/10/16 06:32 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: catcrap
Originally Posted By: Going Fishing. How about you?
Thinking of going Arm point this week. Anybody been and is this a good place to start bank fishing for some catfish? Thanks for the help.

According to this post it is. Main thing is to look at the wind direction and pick your location accordingly.
yup, it is the best bank fishing spot on lake Tawakoni and very popular with regular bank fishermen, that's the reason it cost $7 to fish there. People fish there 24 hours a day in Springs and Summer. I'd bet you could shorten your learning time quicker by just watching the regulars fish, including what poles, rigs, baits, how and where they catch baits, etc.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/10/16 06:33 PM.

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11594455 05/10/16 06:42 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Darrell, I'm glad you ask about catfish rigs, all the rigs you mentioned were variety of 3-way rigs. 3-way rigs are simple to tie and they work best from the bank, imho. Maybe someone can take pictures of their 3w rigs and post them up to share with fellow anglers who are just starting catfishing. thumb

I will talk about catfishing gears that I use, shortly, and will tie a few 3-way rigs to show to our new catfish anglers who are interested in learning the basic nuts and bolts of this addictive passion that I call fishing. Btw, 3-way rigs will catch stripers, too.lol.. thumb

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/10/16 07:17 PM.

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11594637 05/10/16 08:11 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Thank you for the confirmation on the 3 way rigs BankAngler50 . I am sorry to beat a dead horse to death on the whole ghost minnow subject but I really want to make sure I am getting it , The minnows that I'm finding are a little transparent in the body, and they are in about 0-1 ft. of water and they have a slightly upturned mouth for maybe surface feeding, they are maybe 2-3 inches long . I can catch them pretty easy with a fine net, but if the net has 1/4 inch gaps they would get away . If these guys are the right minnows then I guess I am real surprised that they work so well when I see how much bigger shad get, and shad would provide larger meal . I didn't realize I have been missing out on such a plentiful source of bait .

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: DarrellSimpson] #11594808 05/10/16 09:29 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: DarrellSimpson
Thank you for the confirmation on the 3 way rigs BankAngler50 . I am sorry to beat a dead horse to death on the whole ghost minnow subject but I really want to make sure I am getting it , The minnows that I'm finding are a little transparent in the body, and they are in about 0-1 ft. of water and they have a slightly upturned mouth for maybe surface feeding, they are maybe 2-3 inches long . I can catch them pretty easy with a fine net, but if the net has 1/4 inch gaps they would get away . If these guys are the right minnows then I guess I am real surprised that they work so well when I see how much bigger shad get, and shad would provide larger meal . I didn't realize I have been missing out on such a plentiful source of bait .
yep, those are ghost minnows. The minnows seine has smaller mesh and they will catch even the tiniest of minnows, but for net, I don't think we can buy net finer than 1/4" mesh, and 1/4" mesh will catch relatively bigger size minnows while allowing the tiny ones escape. You're absolutely right on the unbelievable amount of minnows in the lake. A fair warning, you will catch more than just catfish with ghost minnows, thumb

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11596954 05/11/16 06:46 PM
J
jgauna Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Let me start with saying thank you for this thread.
I am looking at purchasing a minnow seine to catch some ghost minnows, my question is what size hook (circle or kahle hook)would you recommend?
Also hooking through bottom lip? Sorry if I missed this in a previous post here.

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: jgauna] #11597916 05/12/16 01:12 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: jgauna
Let me start with saying thank you for this thread.
I am looking at purchasing a minnow seine to catch some ghost minnows, my question is what size hook (circle or kahle hook)would you recommend?
Also hooking through bottom lip? Sorry if I missed this in a previous post here.
No problem, jgauna, those are good questions. For minnows, I recommend Gamakatsu octopus hooks, size 2/0 and 4/0. You hook minnows like you hook nightcrawlers, in through the mouth or lower portion of eye socket, thread through the body and out by the tail, make sure hook tip poke through skin, barely. . . Minnows on a 3-way rig you can throw a country mile out from the bank thumb

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/14/16 09:13 PM. Reason: mispell your screenname, sorry about that.

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11598433 05/12/16 05:10 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
On Ivie. This time year. We really hammer the bank. Along the Concho. Mud/ Rocky shoreline.
We seine. In along the mud banks. When it warms up. During the Day. Small Perch. Along with.
Baby Mudcats. All under 2''. Watch the Mudcats. Snip their fin's off. With a bell sinker. tied to tag end of line. Attach 3-way. About 3ft. above it. Run out 12 '' of leader. Off a side swivel. With 2/0 True-Turn hook.. run 1/4 o.z. egg-weight. Up line running down from rod. After you get that egg-weight up the line. Tie a solid. Polyermeyer-Knot to the top eye of 3-way.
Cast out, and let it drift in. until Bell Sinker. Hits bottom. Also;. place good Cork. Where the whole set-up. stays about 5'.
Chicken-Skin is also great bait. To get bit. On Channels this time year. Shallow at night.
GoodLuck. And please watch out for snakes. This time 'year along the bank.
GodBless. texas

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: Bittercreek] #11603038 05/14/16 09:30 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
On Ivie. This time year. We really hammer the bank. Along the Concho. Mud/ Rocky shoreline.
We seine. In along the mud banks. When it warms up. During the Day. Small Perch. Along with.
Baby Mudcats. All under 2''. Watch the Mudcats. Snip their fin's off. With a bell sinker. tied to tag end of line. Attach 3-way. About 3ft. above it. Run out 12 '' of leader. Off a side swivel. With 2/0 True-Turn hook.. run 1/4 o.z. egg-weight. Up line running down from rod. After you get that egg-weight up the line. Tie a solid. Polyermeyer-Knot to the top eye of 3-way.
Cast out, and let it drift in. until Bell Sinker. Hits bottom. Also;. place good Cork. Where the whole set-up. stays about 5'.
Chicken-Skin is also great bait. To get bit. On Channels this time year. Shallow at night.
GoodLuck. And please watch out for snakes. This time 'year along the bank.
GodBless. texas
Prety good advices right there, Thanks Bittercreek for sharing. You touched on a couple of things that I will definitely elaborate on a bit more for Tawakoni banking. Once again, good stuff Bittercreek thumb texas

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11603067 05/14/16 10:08 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
3-way catfish rigs

Sorry don't have time to tie and photo them, yet. But since we got a couple questions on it, let me try to describe my versions of 3-way rigs that I like.

Materials: 30# mono or fluorocarbon, 20# mono lines, 2/0 swivels, 3/0 snap swivel, 3-way T swivels, 3 or 4 oz bank sinkers, 2/0 and 4/0 Gamakatsu offset octopus hooks.

1. Tie a trilene knot from mainline to 2/0 swivel,
2. Tie 2 foot of 30# fluorocarbon to 2/0 swivel and tie the other end to a T 3-way swivel, both trilene knot.
3. 1 1/2 to 2 foot of 20# mono, tie an overhand loop at one end, and tie a trilene knot to bottom loop of the T 3-way swivel,
4. Thread the overhand loop through eye of 3/0 snap swivel, bring the loop completely over the swivel and pull to secure. The snap swivel is for bank sinker.
5. Cut 18" of Fluorocarbon 30# line, tie a figure-8 loop at one end, and snell the 2/0 or 4/0 octopus hook at the other end. You want between 5 to 10 inches of leader for your hook.
6. Thread the figure-8 loop through the third eye of 3-way swivel and thread the hook through the figure8 loop, pull hook and leader line through loop to secure.

Put a 3 oz sinker on snap swivel and minnow on the hook,... you now ready to catch fish. clap cheers

Side note : step 5, figure-8 loop allows for quick change of pre-tied hooks. For example, I may have pre-tied 2/0 and 4/0 hooks, depending on kinds of bait available or sizes of fish that are biting, I might switch from 2/0 to 4/0 hooks or bigger. However figure-8 loop is not a strong knot, you might lose a fish here and there, in theory... So instead of figure-8 knot just tie trilene knot to the swivel if you're targeting bigger fish.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/15/16 10:41 PM.

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11603092 05/14/16 10:29 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Big waves bank fishing

When you have steady 10-20 mph wind in your face, especially north winds at lake Tawakoni you could be fishing in 2-3 foot waves, this is prime big cats fishing condition, even better if wind didn't change direction since previous day. Big fish will come shallow scavenging for scrap bits and pieces left there by all species of fish and big fish will feed on all those species as well. Big blue catfish grow big quickly by eating whatever fish that fit into their mouths including stripers. Here I'd use 50# braid mainline, and 50# / 30# fluorocarbon/mono lines for leaders, and upto 7/0 hooks. Big chunks of cut gizzard shad or buffalo fish are preferred baits.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/15/16 10:46 PM.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide