858721 Topics
11264899 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11599303 - 05/12/16 12:38 PM Boat sale questions
BigShowTexan Online   content
Angler

Loc: in a fishing dream
I am looking at buying a friends boat. What all paperwork do I need to fill out?? Taxes??

www.mmcgilvray.le-vel.com

#11599317 - 05/12/16 12:43 PM Re: Boat sale questions [Re: BigShowTexan]
JIM SR. Online   sick
TFF Celebrity

Loc: NRH/Fork again ! GET THE NET

#11599319 - 05/12/16 12:44 PM Re: Boat sale questions [Re: BigShowTexan]
squib Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Lubbock, TX

#11599331 - 05/12/16 12:47 PM Re: Boat sale questions [Re: BigShowTexan]
JIM SR. Online   sick
TFF Celebrity

Loc: NRH/Fork again ! GET THE NET
roflmao

#11599559 - 05/12/16 02:03 PM Re: Boat sale questions [Re: BigShowTexan]
pwarren Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Lakeside, TX
You just need to take the signed titles along with a bill of sale separating the costs of the boat, engine, and trailer to the tpwd office. The one I went to doesn't accept debit/credit cards so make sure to have a checkbook or cash handy. They will charge you 6.25% sales tax on the boat and motor plus registration and title transfer fees. Then you'll need to go to the tax assessor's office to change the registration on the trailer. You'll pay the same tax rate on the trailer as well. They charge a percentage fee to use your credit/debit card so bring your checkbook or cash for that too. It's pretty silly that you have to pay a tax on sales tax with your card... Don't prefill an application before going, they like to fill out the application for you at the tpwd office.

#11599674 - 05/12/16 02:40 PM Re: Boat sale questions [Re: pwarren]
BigShowTexan Online   content
Angler

Loc: in a fishing dream
Originally Posted By: pwarren
You just need to take the signed titles along with a bill of sale separating the costs of the boat, engine, and trailer to the tpwd office. The one I went to doesn't accept debit/credit cards so make sure to have a checkbook or cash handy. They will charge you 6.25% sales tax on the boat and motor plus registration and title transfer fees. Then you'll need to go to the tax assessor's office to change the registration on the trailer. You'll pay the same tax rate on the trailer as well. They charge a percentage fee to use your credit/debit card so bring your checkbook or cash for that too. It's pretty silly that you have to pay a tax on sales tax with your card... Don't prefill an application before going, they like to fill out the application for you at the tpwd office.

Thank you for not trying to be a smart *ss like others!! I am grateful for your information that can't be found on a simple search. This response is what I like about this site.

www.mmcgilvray.le-vel.com

#11599683 - 05/12/16 02:44 PM Re: Boat sale questions [Re: BigShowTexan]
Ban-D Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Tx
Originally Posted By: BigShowTexan
Originally Posted By: pwarren

Thank you for not trying to be a smart *ss like others!! I am grateful for your information that can't be found on a simple search. This response is what I like about this site.

Then when you only bring those signed titles they will inform you of the three pieces of paperwork from Texas parks and wildlife shared in the post above that will need to be signed and filled out by both parties.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/forms/ these

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide