Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Livewell help #11587902 05/07/16 02:01 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Seeing how it's against the law to take lake water away from the lake I'm needing help/info.

I've got a 30 gallon drum that I've used to build a livewell for my truck. I'll use my boat livewell while I'm fishing to hold everything. But once I get what I'm after and get back to the dock I'll have to transfer them to the 30 gal barrel.

My question is what do I use to treat TAP WATER to make it SAFE for lake fish and not kill them ?

TIA !!!

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11587921 05/07/16 02:18 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
http://www.sure-life.com/pro_SHAD_KEEPER.html. They have several products for what you need

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11587926 05/07/16 02:23 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Thank you sir I'll check that link out !

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11587929 05/07/16 02:24 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Will lake caught fish live in untreated well water ?

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11587951 05/07/16 02:38 AM
44 Diesel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
perch and minnows will, shad will take more effort like good filtration system and water treatment

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11588022 05/07/16 03:17 AM
C
CypertJ Offline
Angler
Angler
C
If you let the water sit in the container at least 24 hrs the chlorine will be gone. This should give them a better chance of survival.

You can kill a fly with a sledgehammer,
But do you really need to son???
Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11588028 05/07/16 03:19 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I've mounted and piped in a 500 gph aerator to help keep them alive.

This one will only be used to transport perch, crappie, cats and MAYBE a few bass used to stock private waters.

Last edited by lucas_shane; 05/07/16 04:54 AM.
Re: Livewell help [Re: CypertJ] #11588030 05/07/16 03:20 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Thank you sir !
Originally Posted By: CypertJ
If you let the water sit in the container at least 24 hrs the chlorine will be gone. This should give them a better chance of survival.

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11591183 05/09/16 01:49 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: lucas_shane

This one will only be used to transport perch, crappie, cats and MAYBE a few bass used to stock private waters.

Don't want to rain too hard on your parade...but BEFORE trying to explain yourself to a judge, it might be best to check the laws with respect to the capture, transport, and use of fish taken from public waters with just a fishing license.

Somewhere out there is somebody that can quote some verse and numbers of state wildlife code, but basically the law allows you to catch bait by certain methods for certain uses, lets you catch and eat some fish, and MAY let you take SOME species of fish for use in private lakes and ponds. There are a LOT of restrictions, not just the source water, but especially with respect to certain species of fish and what you intend to do with them.

In particular the state is very touchy about certain species such as largemouth bass, flathead catfish, black and white crappie, grass carp, paddlefish, and tilapia and that's just a few of the fish. You can add many, many others you may "pick up" either purposefully or accidentally in the public waters of Texas that are expressly prohibited from possession for ANY reason. Just a few examples: Brazilian elodea, hydrilla, zebra mussels, etc. as well as certain frogs, toads, newts, turtles, salamanders, and a host of endangered or exotic species. Get caught with one and its same as anything else, you'll be checked for everything.

Its a convoluted mess to navigate. But you can take a certain size and number of largemouth bass, for instance, to kill and eat, but certainly not to transport alive into private waters. The same is true of any designated "sport" species in Texas. Take any money or other valuable consideration for doing so and the crime becomes greatly elevated.

Better look into that before using a small bottle of oxygen with a regulator and diffuser to properly deliver oxygen to the fish you are carrying in water you got from the tap and dechlorinated using the stuff you bought at Petsmart or Wally World in the tropical fish section. Then you were prepared with a cooler and some ice to cool the water in the container if it is much above 80 degrees. Plus about half pound of non-iodized salt per hundred gallons.

Better yet, get the fish you need packaged for carrying or delivered to you from a licensed, Texas fish hatchery.

http://www.texasaquaculture.org/PDF/Avail_List.pdf

Re: Livewell help [Re: Fishbreeder] #11591635 05/09/16 04:43 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I spoke with the Eastland county game warden ( he's over the county where I'm catching them from ) about transporting live human caught lake fish ( mainly crappie, cats & assorted perch ) from a public lake to a different county into private waters. Then called the Palo Pinto Co game warden ( as I'm going back into his county ) about the whole situation.
Both of them said there is no issues of transporting game fish that's been caught from public water to private waters. Said they have no concern if they are kept for consumption or used for private stocking purposes.
I can not vouch for the exact wording of the law books BUT I can vouch for what these two different county wardens told me. Even had the Eastland Co warden Check out my set yesterday as I was at the lake.

Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder

Don't want to rain too hard on your parade...but BEFORE trying to explain yourself to a judge, it might be best to check the laws with respect to the capture, transport, and use of fish taken from public waters with just a fishing license.

Somewhere out there is somebody that can quote some verse and numbers of state wildlife code, but basically the law allows you to catch bait by certain methods for certain uses, lets you catch and eat some fish, and MAY let you take SOME species of fish for use in private lakes and ponds. There are a LOT of restrictions, not just the source water, but especially with respect to certain species of fish and what you intend to do with them.

In particular the state is very touchy about certain species such as largemouth bass, flathead catfish, black and white crappie, grass carp, paddlefish, and tilapia and that's just a few of the fish. You can add many, many others you may "pick up" either purposefully or accidentally in the public waters of Texas that are expressly prohibited from possession for ANY reason. Just a few examples: Brazilian elodea, hydrilla, zebra mussels, etc. as well as certain frogs, toads, newts, turtles, salamanders, and a host of endangered or exotic species. Get caught with one and its same as anything else, you'll be checked for everything.

Its a convoluted mess to navigate. But you can take a certain size and number of largemouth bass, for instance, to kill and eat, but certainly not to transport alive into private waters. The same is true of any designated "sport" species in Texas. Take any money or other valuable consideration for doing so and the crime becomes greatly elevated.

Better look into that before using a small bottle of oxygen with a regulator and diffuser to properly deliver oxygen to the fish you are carrying in water you got from the tap and dechlorinated using the stuff you bought at Petsmart or Wally World in the tropical fish section. Then you were prepared with a cooler and some ice to cool the water in the container if it is much above 80 degrees. Plus about half pound of non-iodized salt per hundred gallons.

Better yet, get the fish you need packaged for carrying or delivered to you from a licensed, Texas fish hatchery.

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11592040 05/09/16 07:06 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I spoke with the Eastland county game warden ( he's over the county where I'm catching them from ) about transporting live human caught lake fish ( mainly crappie, cats & assorted perch ) from a public lake to a different county into private waters. Then called the Palo Pinto Co game warden ( as I'm going back into his county ) about the whole situation.
Both of them said there is no issues of transporting game fish that's been caught from public water to private waters. Said they have no concern if they are kept for consumption or used for private stocking purposes.
I can not vouch for the exact wording of the law books BUT I can vouch for what these two different county wardens told me. Even had the Eastland Co warden Check out my set yesterday as I was at the lake.

Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder

I would get that in writing. It is illegal to take game fish from public waters for stocking of private waters.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11592256 05/09/16 08:14 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11592287 05/09/16 08:27 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I stand corrected.

Now, How do you get around the dry livewell rule?

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Livewell help [Re: Luke98] #11592303 05/09/16 08:35 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Also just spoke with Brandy Reeder ( prolly spelled wrong ) and she handles everything law wise for TXPWD.

As long as you abide by the zebra mussel laws and you are transporting legally caught fish of legal size then you are 100% legal.

Therefor I'm NOT breaking ANY laws at all !

Last edited by lucas_shane; 05/09/16 09:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Livewell help [Re: ChuChu1] #11592307 05/09/16 08:36 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I have a constructed a 30 gallon livewell in my truck. I fill it with tank water or well water and carry the livewell FULL of water with me.

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
I stand corrected.

Now, How do you get around the dry livewell rule?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide