Print Thread
help me spend 30k #11586676 05/06/16 01:53 PM
T
Texasdeepv Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
So i have been researching some boat and motor combos... the only thing i am certain on is getting a fish and ski combo. (family stuff as well as fishing) The Lund 1875 impact series seems to be the one but the Nitro Z 7 Sport looks ok as well. I will mostly fish the lakes in central Texas. Ive only seen big waves on a lake in this area and thats lake Buchanan while fishing for stripers. The Lund makes the list for pretty much that reason alone. I also will trailer the thing up north (Maine, I have family up there) for fishing that way as well. I did find each of the listed for less than 30. approx 29k each.
the Ranger Reata is what i really want but dang they are pricey. If i could find one gently used at that price it would be awesome. I am also looking at a minimum 150HP for the boat.

so other than the 2 mentioned, does anyone have any recommendations? What scares me (unless i am over analyzing them too much) the lund has had some quality issues the past few years and Z 7 there are bunches of servicing issues????

thanks for any input you all can provide.

Re: help me spend 30k [Re: Texasdeepv] #11588713 05/07/16 06:47 PM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
You should know that the worst boat design on the market is the fish-n-ski. It does neither well. If you really want a boat that can be fun for both family outings and fishing is a center console like a Nautic Star 1910.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: help me spend 30k [Re: Texasdeepv] #11589096 05/08/16 12:13 AM
H
Hittmanfish Offline
Angler
Angler
H
I agree with Capt Craig. I would get a center console or a pontoon before a fish and ski. The resale on a fish and ski isn't very good either (from what I have seen).

Madison Hitt
Re: help me spend 30k [Re: Texasdeepv] #11589133 05/08/16 12:32 AM
C
Capt Craig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Your family wants to get out and the kids want to swim and maybe get pulled around on a tube and then they want to get back in soaking wet and get under s little shad so they don't fry. They are gonna spill their soda, drop the P&J sandwich on the deck and grind their goldfish crackers into an orange powder.

On your average boat with an I/O motor, the water will run into the bilge, they will complain about being hot and the carpet doesn't make the deckj any softer, the food will turn your carpet into concrete. You can't powerwash the carpet as it will eat away at the adhesive underneath and your carpet will come loose and suddenly your new boat has loose carpet, tons of water in the bilge that has to be pumped out and not so much fun. And, if you have motor issues, prepare for sometimes expensive repairs. Few if any rod holders, a little useless livewell, and your buddies won't have a good time fishing because it is not really designed for fishing well.

On a boat like the NS 1910, it has an outboard that is easy for you to maintain, no freeze plugs for winder and ease of access to check fluid so you aren't upside down in a crawl space. It will pull the kids on anny water toy you want to pull! When everyone climbs out of the lake, the wet deck has scuppers that allow all the water to run right back into the lake and not in your bilge! You can get a nice bimini to keep everyone cool and it folds out of the way to fish. Kids and food are no problem! NO CARPET - A deck brush and a powerwasher and all the left overs are washed away leaving a nice clean boat. Want to do some serious fishing? No problem you have plenty of room for rods and 2 livewells and the boat handles like a dream! Seating - REAL seats in the rear deck that fold up for 3 kids or adults to sit comfortably, seating for 2 at the helm, a front console seat for 1 - total real seating for at least 6 people. front and rear deck for fishing. And, the gunwale of the boat is a little safer for small kids too.

Capt. Craig Copeland
Licensed by the US Coast Guard

2019 Nautic Star 215 XTS Shallow Bay Boat
Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
Nautic Star Boats Pro Staff (nauticstarboats.com)
Redneck Fish'n Jigs Pro Staff (redneckfishn.com)
Re: help me spend 30k [Re: Texasdeepv] #11589167 05/08/16 12:56 AM
A
AstaSoftride Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A

1997 Allison XB2003 PST - sold
1997 Johnson 225hp Venom - sold
Boatless
Re: help me spend 30k [Re: Texasdeepv] #11592968 05/10/16 12:55 AM
T
Texasdeepv Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
Thank you all for the input. I will do some research on the center consoles and see if they will meet our needs. I prob should of prefaced my previous posting as i wont be doing any hardcore bass fishing. I mean i like flinging crank baits and Carolina rigs like the next guy but i probably wont do any tournaments etc. Its more as a hobby (yes, I know, a very expensive one). all that said ....I do like the idea of a center console as well though.

The carpet thing can be addressed with a Lund as they can deliver the boat with or without carpet. Im not a huge fan of carpet either. All my trucks have had no carpets in them. They almost always end up with bad stains and unneeded moisture/

thanks again for the input.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide