Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,962,003
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11582435 05/04/16 02:25 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
You're welcome catcrap. I'm glad you can get some helpful info from this thread and that's exactly is the purpose of this thread. cheers I notice you're from Austin and you're driving all the way to Tawakoni next weekend for some catfishing? That's a long drive I hope your trip worth the drive. Are you bank or boat fishing? If I can be of any help please don't hesitate to pm me. Good fishing to ya!

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11583173 05/04/16 08:18 PM
C
catcrap Offline
Angler
Angler
C
yessir, I figured I've been running around on the lakes down here for long enough. I always see so many awesome pictures from all of yall up in that neck of the woods, and after I saw your post I figured it'd be worth the trip. I'm planning on bringing the canoe and a little 4hp motor, so a little bit of both. I will certainly shoot you a pm if I can think of anything you didn't cover, although with all the great tips you've shared already I don't know how I could not catch some. I'll be sure to post updates after the trip too. Thanks again!!

Give man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach man to fish, he'll sit on a boat and drink beer all day.
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11584085 05/05/16 03:05 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Outstanding thread.
Thank you Bank Angler. For starting it.
A true post for the Working-Man. Wanting to enjoy fishing. Along with KEEPING. Fish, for
eating. flag

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: Bittercreek] #11585652 05/05/16 09:44 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
Outstanding thread.
Thank you Bank Angler. For starting it.
A true post for the Working-Man. Wanting to enjoy fishing. Along with KEEPING. Fish, for
eating. flag
You're welcome Bittercreek, I like what you said l couldn't have said it better myself. You're actually describing a lot of people who enjoy fishing and keeping fish to eat. I know we're the MAJORITY of the fishing community, but most of just keep keep quiet to ourselves. You've spoken out quite a bit, I'm doing my part. We need to find our voice somehow so that this aged old tradition will continue for our children to enjoy as well. thumb

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: catcrap] #11585674 05/05/16 09:52 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: catcrap
yessir, I figured I've been running around on the lakes down here for long enough. I always see so many awesome pictures from all of yall up in that neck of the woods, and after I saw your post I figured it'd be worth the trip. I'm planning on bringing the canoe and a little 4hp motor, so a little bit of both. I will certainly shoot you a pm if I can think of anything you didn't cover, although with all the great tips you've shared already I don't know how I could not catch some. I'll be sure to post updates after the trip too. Thanks again!!

Go get them catcrap! Yes I pretty much cover all the main points, except wind directions and currents, but you probably already know. Bank fishing lake with currents is quite challenging, your canoe come in handy thumb

I found an interesting article on river fishing techniques that might be helpful. I'll try to add a link here later. Got to run now, lol.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11585986 05/06/16 01:06 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Catfishing in Current

Sometimes you might just have to get off the bank and get on a small craft, canoe, kayak, etc. And go up the creeks or river to chase blue catfish. Tawakoni water still over pool, which means it's tributaries still have some currents, and lake itself has currents. Catfishing feeding patterns change when lake has currents. In-Fishermen article below described best techniques to fish blue catfish in big river, , but you get some ideas on how blue catfish feed in current.

In-Fishermen Top Techniques for Big Rivers Blue Catfish

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11587171 05/06/16 06:11 PM
B
Blue Blazer 2400 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks for the info BankAngler. I hit the water yesterday in the boat and went to some similar places as you have described and we put 25 eaters in the box. Biggest around 5 pounds. Channels are starting to move up also.

I did not go to any place you mentioned because I wanted to leave that for the bankers. I know there are lots of places for the boaters.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: Blue Blazer 2400] #11587579 05/06/16 10:06 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: stratos
Thanks for the info BankAngler. I hit the water yesterday in the boat and went to some similar places as you have described and we put 25 eaters in the box. Biggest around 5 pounds. Channels are starting to move up also.

I did not go to any place you mentioned because I wanted to leave that for the bankers. I know there are lots of places for the boaters.

Awesome Stratos, I'm glad you found them. No problem, any time and thanks for sharing. You're a true gentleman and I must say a smart fisherman. You gathered the necessary info and notice chacteristics of good fishing spots and bam! the entire lake is wide open for your fishing and catching pleasure. Good job! thumb

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11588113 05/07/16 05:19 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Our Church-Group. Returned from the Annual. Twak. Jug-Trip. Last week.
We fished all along those Areas. You recommended above.
Great water. - Will not post Photos.. Due to the more-"Sensitve Folks". Getting upset.
We do this trip twice a year. For an annual. Fish-Fry at a local. Nursing-Home.
Along with another. Fish-Fry in the Fall. For the Immediate area. Firefighters, and PD.
Great Lake. Outstanding Locals. Best eating Blues and Yellows. In the State.
texas

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: Bittercreek] #11588705 05/07/16 06:41 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Bittercreek
Our Church-Group. Returned from the Annual. Twak. Jug-Trip. Last week.
We fished all along those Areas. You recommended above.
Great water. - Will not post Photos.. Due to the more-"Sensitve Folks". Getting upset.
We do this trip twice a year. For an annual. Fish-Fry at a local. Nursing-Home.
Along with another. Fish-Fry in the Fall. For the Immediate area. Firefighters, and PD.
Great Lake. Outstanding Locals. Best eating Blues and Yellows. In the State.
texas
Sounds like your group had a successful trip, well done, congratulations. I admire you and your group, doing what you enjoying doing which is fishing, using your skills to catch fish for your community traditional gathering fish fry, bringing the community that much closer. Life can't get any more real than that, to me that is a great way of life. thumb

Tawakoni is a great lake, local people are as real as can be, and I have to agree with you 120% on Tawakoni catfish taste, Twok bluecats "taste like butter" banana meant to pick this one food lol

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/07/16 07:05 PM.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11590330 05/08/16 11:36 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Alright let's wrap up weather, wind directions and temperature. Some might think that it doesn't matter you go fishing whenever ever you can, while that's true, hey if you give me choice of sitting around the house and go fishing skunks and all, you bet I'd rather sitting by the lake with my fishing poles. However most of us has to work for a living, time is always an issue, so if you want maximize your chance of catching quality fish, banking of course, understanding weather, winds, currents and water temperature can help plan a more enjoyable fishing trip. I'm probably one of the lucky few who work for themselves, no boss, I have some flexibility and I can plan ahead when want to go fishing.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/08/16 11:58 PM.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11590455 05/09/16 12:49 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Let's talk about wind directions. There are two kinds of currents, water surface currents which are caused by wind actions on water surface that creates waves carrying microorganisms collectively called zooplankton, toward the bank. Bait fish, shad and minnows follow zooplankton, they eat zooplankton. Blue catfish come to wind swept shallow water to eat these bait fish, and you want to be there to catch those blue cats. So winds and water surface currents are your friends.

The other current is flowing currents where the entire water column is moving down stream. In a lake, this is not your friend, it change everything. Water flow distribute zooplankton down stream through out lake and bait fish are spreading out, hence, catfish are spread or they will skip wind blown points and go up to mouth of tributary and lay low waiting for food items to tumble down to their mouths.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/09/16 01:29 AM.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11590592 05/09/16 01:52 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
True that on the wind!

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11590932 05/09/16 11:33 AM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Thank you BankAngler50, You are the second person to share great spots and advice . I get why people don't share great fishing spots , but man its tough when you are new to Texas and really want to feel the line go tight with a nice fish , I paid for a trip with Carey Thorn and he shared spots to catch fish and shared a wealth of information to having more success , Thanks to you and Carey and others like you guys it makes this forum so much more enjoyable . I realize that as people share the honey holes the army's of litter bugs will come and go , I have been walking up to these people as they drop trash and I pick up their trash and put it in my bag and try to remind them of the values of not littering while not being confrontational , of course it helps when I can get a few other fishermen to help me . What kind of rig would you recommend ? I have noticed the rigs with the weight at the end then a hook about a foot up the tied to the main line, also I have seen the three way swivel with the hook about eight inches away from the swivel . Thank You for a great thread .

Re: How to catch catfish at Lake Tawakoni from the bank [Re: BankAngler50] #11591398 05/09/16 03:14 PM
G
Going Fishing. How about you? Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Thinking of going Arm point this week. Anybody been and is this a good place to start bank fishing for some catfish? Thanks for the help.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide