Forums59
Topics1,038,947
Posts13,956,194
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees #11585197 05/05/16 06:34 PM
KHumpert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I recently bought an Ulterra 112# 60" I-Pilot to mount on my FX 20 and replace my Fortrex. I haven't put the motor on yet because I'm waiting on the bracket to come in so I don't have to drill new holes in my bow. That being said, after reading some reviews and opinions, I'm not sure if I really want to make the jump from cable steer to electric steer. Does anyone on here run an Ulterra on their bass boat in trees often? If so, how do you like it. I do fish offshore sometimes so the spot lock will be nice, however I fish the trees a lot too and don't want to be running in to everything if it doesn't respond quick enough. Another concern I have is with the way these things look in pictures, they hang off the front of the boat quite a bit and I am nervous about hitting the bow roller with it when loading and unloading the boat. Is this an issue on yall's boat? Thanks for the help.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585234 05/05/16 06:53 PM
T
tin man 55 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I had a terrova, and like you, the spot lock came in handy for offshore fishing, but I broke parts of the motor three different times from running into trees. here is how it happens: you are moving slowing through trees and spot a nice hole to squeeze through; suddenly your boat hits a stump that is just out of sight below the surface, and then your big, heavy boat is headed towards a tree; with the weight of the boat and no time to dodge, you hit the tree and some little plastic piece breaks, making the motor useless.

after the 3rd time, I went back to a fortrex.

2014 Ranger RT-188
115 Mercury Pro-XS
Lowrance Gen-3 units
Ultrex
Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585292 05/05/16 07:30 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I bought a terrova for one of my previous boats. I did not like the small mount and they way it had to hang over the bow so far. I also didn't like the response time. I'm back to foot control Fortrex now and like it better.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585297 05/05/16 07:31 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I asked a friend of mine that has one the same thing. He also said that it is not as good in the trees as the cable steer. He has gone in the water several times. I chose to stay with the cable steer.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585316 05/05/16 07:38 PM
KHumpert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I may have a new Ulterra for sale. SMH. hammer realmad

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585328 05/05/16 07:44 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Here's a thought to ponder: Is there a single bass pro of any notable level who uses an electric steer model? That may tell you something about the gadgetry offered to consumers....

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585415 05/05/16 08:18 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have had a terrova for about a year now and wouldn't take for it. getting an ulterra pretty quick. I fish Fork almost exclusively, a few bass champs and aba, other than that, it's Fork. Never had a problem with stumps(knock on wood I guess) and I've hit plenty with that motor. Only complaint was when it deployed by itself at 69 mph on cedar creek, lost almost all of it, but Minn Kota gave me a new one. The nose of the mount bracket is not condusive to a real steep ramp, you will knock it off if not careful. Since I'm pretty stove up with arthritis, you cannot beat this motor with the spot lock or just leaving it on all the time. As far as steering, I don't use the foot control per say, I use the buttons on the front of the foot control, much easier. I've also heard the new motors are much more responsive. Hope that helps bolt

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585441 05/05/16 08:33 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I have used a Terrova for about a year. I love it and have never had any of the issues described above. I get into stumps and have no concerns. I guarantee that I can maneuver through them as well as the avg cable steer and nothing has ever broken on mine. I hate cable steer tms. It is a completely different animal and you have to be willing to give yourself time to learn something new. You don't want to rely on the foot control. The remote is what works and the foot control is just there for emergency adjustments when hands are full.

I just sold my terrova because I bought a new boat and it was too small. I am having bad withdraws from not having it right now and can't wait until I buy another or an Ulterra. You should really try one before making up your mind based on others opinions. They seem to be a love or hate thing. Not many people middle of the road on them

As far as judging by what the pros use, they either get it for free or get paid to endorse a product. If Minn Kota was having advertising issues and needed to see more ulterras sold, you would see a pro using one.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585446 05/05/16 08:33 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I have had a Terrova for 3 years now. a 12v 55# system on my previous boat and a 24v 80# system for the last 2 years on my newer bigger Skeeter. I also would not take for it.
navigating tree stumps on Fork, Falcon or Fayette County has not been an issue at all. Every weekend and 2-3 times per week in the evenings and I have not had any issues whatsoever. Adaptability to the Terrova operations is a short time thing and the available functions on the unit are great. The spot lock or Anchor feature is so valuable for fishing off shore. The Trail feature is also super if you fish the same lake a lot and fish a particular shoreline.
You learn where the boat needs to be and how to back the boat off the trailer to keep from having issues with the bracket hanging over the nose of the boat. Really not an issue.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585461 05/05/16 08:37 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I use mine in trees, rocks where ever. I had a terrova before the Ulterra.
I have no problems but I keep a close eye on where I'm going and simply plan ahead. I can't imagine moving through stumps so fast that you would break parts off one. They are extremely tough.
I am going on my 6 th year with either a terrova or Ulterra and will fish anywhere with it.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: Flippin-Out] #11585539 05/05/16 08:59 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Here's a thought to ponder: Is there a single bass pro of any notable level who uses an electric steer model? That may tell you something about the gadgetry offered to consumers....

Great point and the answer is no. I've never seen one.

I think they are awesome for off shore fishing and I know a lot of guides that use them. My issue with them is I need to look down to see where it's pointing and the cable steer gives you that feedback without having to divert your attention from fishing. Surely we would all adapt if it was the only thing available but luckily that isn't the case.

On another note..... I can't tell you how many times I've heard of them deploying while on pad. Once they figure out a better mount to where you don't have to strap it down each time, it might be more of a decision.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585586 05/05/16 09:11 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Been using one on Fork since 2009 when it first came out. Well over 200 trips on Fork with it and I have broken 3 shafts (all covered under warranty) and have broken the side pieces and mount 2-3 times. After clipping it on the trailer too many times loading up, I bought the sliding mount and that problem is gone. Earlier this year I hit a tree on Fork and instead of the shaft breaking, it sheared the bolts holding the sliding mount to the boat and came disconnected. Crazy! Four new bolts fixed it in 15 minutes (off the water, day was over).

In general, the above concerns are all warranted. The response time is slower and after 7 years of use, it is louder than it used to be when turning.

I broke cables on cable steering motors several times. Also broke or bent shafts. Overall its a nice product and I have used it for 7 years without any issues to the peddle or main control head. It is awesome in open water and has many other benefits but I'd recommend using one instead of just reading what I think.

And to the question about pros using it....actually yes, a ton of pros use it. Pros in saltwater and fishing up north for smallmouth, pike, etc are using the Terrova type trolling motors more than the cable steering.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: JacksonBean] #11585590 05/05/16 09:14 PM
C
criglizard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
My issue with them is I need to look down to see where it's pointing and the cable steer gives you that feedback without having to divert your attention from fishing.

On another note..... I can't tell you how many times I've heard of them deploying while on pad.

That's odd that you look at the motor to steer, how does a cable steer differ? I have never looked at either while steering unless I am on a new motor and getting used to it for a day.

You are right, I have had mine deploy going 50 and it was immediately broken in half. The cable running inside kept the actual motor and prop from sinking.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585615 05/05/16 09:25 PM
KHumpert Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the insight. I'm still on the fence on what I want to do. Maybe I'll just sit on it for a little while until I can try one and see if I would want to install it or not.

Re: Question about a MK Ulterra for bass fishing in trees [Re: KHumpert] #11585641 05/05/16 09:39 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I cant help but think there may be somewhat of a disconnect between tho's fishing in the trees and fishing in a stump field, because if in fact you are fishing in a stump field frequently enough and you haven't broken, bent or torn up a trolling motor your simply not trying hard enough.

My neighbor and fishing partner has an Ulterra on his 05' Ranger and it works flawlessly offshore or in situations where obstructions are not as dense, but in heavy cover or tree/stump fields it is slow to react to the point it is clumsy compared to traditional foot controllers. We will actually pre-plan spots for the day based on location to decide what boat we will take, open water deeper areas his and shallower heavy cover mine. His has not prematurely deployed, but I know that they do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide