Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
any news on the surf? #11583370 05/04/16 10:00 PM
D
dcg Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
with the north winds, flat conditions, and excessive fresh water driving some fish seaward i would think the surf could really light up for trout tomorrow or Friday, but i live to far to have good immediate info. any input?

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11584534 05/05/16 01:26 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
They are there, I haven't heard any good reports though.

99% of the bay trout won't move out to the surf... and vice versa. They are subspecies and rarely cross over. On rare occasions some of the bay trout will hit the jetties and one might venture out but they tend not to. This was the results of a louisanna based telemetry study done with digital tracking devices. It is different than what we've heard in the past and this is the current data.

That said, with the water temp above 70, those surf run trout will be there if you can catch a light north or NE wind, or even a calm or very light SE wind. incoming tide with some bait around and noticing any trout slicks in the area. Don't just walk in anywhere, that's the mistake most people make and may or may not catch anything. Read the water and hunt them down. Good luck
t

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: any news on the surf? [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11584625 05/05/16 02:10 PM
D
dcg Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
i have been fishing the surf all my life and learned from masters who fished it in the '50's and 60's. its always been fairly obvious to us that there is not much movement of trout between surf and bays, otherwise if all the surf trout moved into the bays in winter you would be able to walk across the bay on their backs - but that said, we have also been of the thought that in cases such as heavy freshwater intrusion there is some movement, which this article appears to support, and also movement between bays and surf near passes along with tides. it also supports your statement that they may be different sub-species - i am not so sure of that exactly, but certainly they are different populations. to me wading the surf is one of the greatest benefits to being stuck in a hellhole like Houston in summer. had several limits last year, and 2 days where i caught over 30 in 2-3 hours. thats a workout. my thumbs were raw for days as i only use a mouth grip when releasing.

anyway - thanks mucho for inspiring me to dig a little and find this study. if this is not the study you read then please send me any other links you may have - greatly appreciated

http://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazine.com/fishing/response-trout-tracking-study/subpage429.html

"In the most extreme cases, floods seem to cause trout in riverine estuaries like Sabine Lake to move all the way through the jetties and into the surf.
In big flood events, the surf zones immediately adjacent to the jetties often become crowded with trout. The evidence from a tracking study done on trout in Lake Calcasieu further supports this idea of bay trout moving from the bay to the surf in small bays like Sabine Lake and Big Lake.

'

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11587198 05/06/16 06:20 PM
D
dcg Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
not a lot of tide movement, certainly not as much as i would like, but trout green water and flat, wind coming up during the day. dawn could be on for the beachfront........

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11596939 05/11/16 06:33 PM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I am heading down to a galveston beach on sunday with family. Will get some time to surf fish. Any updated reports on whats biting in the surf right now?

It was a different world when we were boys and girls....
Re: any news on the surf? [Re: TXfisherman12] #11596955 05/11/16 06:46 PM
F
fastpitch Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
It was on last Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Wind kicked up Saturday afternoon and its been rough and off color since. if the wind lays, it will take a few days to clear up.

The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.
Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11598425 05/12/16 04:46 AM
T
txhunt&fish10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I went that weekend. Usually can catch at least a few, but didn't get a bite even with the flat greenish water on Friday.

Few men ever reach, in any one direction, the limits of their possibilities. As in commerce, so here, the relation of supply to demand rules. Our mechanical and intellectual forces increase or decrease according to the demands made upon them. He who uses most will have most to use.
Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11599128 05/12/16 04:28 PM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
So when the fishing is "on" this time of the year, what can you catch in the surf?

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: TXfisherman12] #11599813 05/12/16 08:39 PM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: TXfisherman12
So when the fishing is "on" this time of the year, what can you catch in the surf?

Excerpt from "Foot Fishing the Coastal Bend" By no means complete but probably most of the species commonly caught in the surf.

A couple of general constants, but not by any means 100% assured.
1. A rough, sandy, large breaker surf is most likely going to provide better fishing when bottom fishing with cut bait or at least natural bait. The targeted species will be your drums, Whiting, Gafftop, possibly shark i.e., fish that rely on or mostly use their sense of smell to feed.
2. A flat surf with little to no breakers and clean, and at least clear-ish green or better water, will offer better chances at fish such as Speckled Trout, Spanish Mackerel, Pompano, etc. Obviously fish that use sight and hearing to feed will be easier to target when you have clean water at least in the guts.

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11600805 05/13/16 01:22 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
There have been some good reports hitting the boards since this thread started. catch it with light winds and a calm surf and go to work.

Kudos to you for supplying the copyright with the excerpt above. Wish more people did that or at least gave some credit to the person they learned it from or where they read it. Good work.

Additional structure in the surf can be any of the rock groins or jetties and they are great for attracting the above fish species. There is also good chance at catching a Flounder or 2 in the surf even during the summer (Chester Moore... dudes' a flounder champ).

Last edited by TroutSupport.com; 05/13/16 01:23 PM.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11601653 05/13/16 08:50 PM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
In dirty water in the surf (which I hear is the condition of the water in Galveston?), what color of lures tend to produce more hits?

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11601900 05/13/16 11:57 PM
TOO Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: TroutSupport.com

Kudos to you for supplying the copyright with the excerpt above. Wish more people did that or at least gave some credit to the person they learned it from or where they read it. Good work.

Not gonna derail this thread any further than this question..................Am I to credit myself for my own copyrighted writing? Just wondering, cause I learned it and wrote it....................your point is taken though. wink

Txf12, all things equal darker color paddle tail soft plastics and hard body lures with rattles/noise usually do better in dirty water. Live bait, shrimp under popping cork & croaker, mullet, the perchies, etc are often a better option to catch fish, especially trout in dirty water.

If you gonna fish dirty surf with lures no matter what, might suggest using a 1/4 oz (& even as heavy as a 3/8 -1/2 oz) jighead and dark paddle tail plastics; purple, red, combo's on that end, with a contrasting tail, and drag that setup on the bottom along the down wave side of the sand bars. Quick snap and let fall , but drag it as fast as you can while still dragging sand. One way to start the figuring out process. Not so much needing to fish slow but IMO the sound of the jig head scraping and hitting the sand helps in allowing fish to find the bait.

At least that my working theory, I'm usually fishing the bay if the surf is dirty, unless its a clearing up dirty with low waves & swells.

Just more to consider.......good luck

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11602561 05/14/16 01:57 PM
D
dcg Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
i agree - dirty surf = head to the bay. i wade out knee deep in the dark with a flashlight to check it.

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: dcg] #11603049 05/14/16 09:46 PM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Thanks for the info TOO! In my case when the family heads to the beach that is when I get to the fish the surf, so I don't have any other options. So trying to get input to make the best of a non-ideal situation. Checking some of the surf cams online the water seems to be in pretty good shape as I type. Hoping it doesn't storm overnight, and just maybe it will be better conditions tomorrow than I am predicting.

Anybody having any luck in the surf this weekend?

Re: any news on the surf? [Re: TXfisherman12] #11603429 05/15/16 02:15 AM
D
dcg Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
no fishing this weekend for me - i just had a business trip to south texas and got a little time wading at Falcon for bass and have to head out to Chicago next week so honey-dos are all i am catching, but that said - if i could go the water and wind look great - but no tide movement. that means a crapshoot. you could get lucky, but likely just a trout or two and hardheads and croakers galore. at least it looks like a rather standing high-ish tide as opposed to a long low. so - if i was going to be there anyway i would fish - but i would not take my standard 1-hour drive for these conditions. same thing - if i worked a 9-5 m-f i might go - but i work my own schedule and can wait for better conditions during midweek - if i am not in some place like Chicago, of course...

so good luck! - and let us know! lord knows i have accidentally hit an area in the worst of conditions and gotten lucky and killed them for absolutely no rhyme or reason.

Last edited by dcg; 05/15/16 02:19 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide