Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11582372 05/04/16 01:57 PM
M
Mike_Soriano Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
Just send me the GPS of these piles and what they are made of. I'll get back to y'all with which ones work best smile

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: Anchorman] #11582377 05/04/16 01:59 PM
B
bigfishtx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Anchorman
Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait
Anytime anyone throws a garden hose away in my rounds, I grab it. Cut it into various lengths with the minimum being 3 ft. Stick them into a bucket of concrete in whatever pattern you want. Most of them have a natural coil from being stored that way, so place them to bend outwards.

thumb

I came across this type of stuff a few years ago on Ft. Gibson. The lake had fallen and you could see these things just under the water. I'll have to say they are some dang fine cover. I caught fish on every one I found. The beauty of it was you could run any crankbait through it and it would not snag, if it hung a little, the hose would bend and you could pull the bait off the end. I pulled one up to see how it was built. They had about 8 or 10 pieces of hose about 2-3' long, all stuck in a concrete block that had been poured. For shallow water cover, these things are hard to beat.

I'm curious. Do they not lay down flat after being in the water for a period of time? Or do they stay curved and hold their shape?

The ones I found were not garden hose, they were some other type of black hose, thicker than garden hose. They looked like they'd been there a long time and still had their shape.

Keep the Lord in your heart and keep your powder dry.
5:5
Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: Anchorman] #11582382 05/04/16 02:02 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: SeaAggie2015
Pond King makes an artificial tree that works great. It has many benefits. Firstly its durable and will be in the lake until someone removes it, so no replacing decaying material. Secondly its snag proof so even bumping crankbaits through it you won't loose lures. That means you don't snag and disrupt the hole on your first cast, or second, or third... Lastly, from what we've experienced, they don't show up on electronics, or not until they've developed thick algae cover.

Those are very nice if money isn't an issue. If you have your own boat slip or dock that would make sense. But to sink off "structure" out in the lake I can't see spending that kind of money. Especially if you want to sink several piles. All it takes is time and a few inexpensive materials to build and sink several brush piles.

eek2 now you've gone and done it!!! bolt

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: Wayne P.] #11582646 05/04/16 04:04 PM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: toledo puma
I hate to differ but structure is not bottom change. A bottom change is a drop or ledge, or ridge. Structure is a stump a tree a lay down or like I was asking maybe man made structure. Brush piles are structure also man made

No Structure is the shape of the bottom from deepest to shallowest. On that structure you can have breaks and cover. Read Buck Perry's book. He is the father of structure fishing and needs no help redefining what the terms are.

Wayne P is correct. The surface of the lake bottom is structure; everything on or over it is cover.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11582770 05/04/16 05:15 PM
T
trippbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
we have sunk a ton of brush at a couple of private lakes i fish...hundreds of piles in total.we hardly ever catch any fish on the manmade stuff, the fish seem to relate much better to natural cover.

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: Anchorman] #11583658 05/05/16 12:37 AM
B
Big Swimbait Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Originally Posted By: Big Swimbait
Anytime anyone throws a garden hose away in my rounds, I grab it. Cut it into various lengths with the minimum being 3 ft. Stick them into a bucket of concrete in whatever pattern you want. Most of them have a natural coil from being stored that way, so place them to bend outwards.

thumb

I came across this type of stuff a few years ago on Ft. Gibson. The lake had fallen and you could see these things just under the water. I'll have to say they are some dang fine cover. I caught fish on every one I found. The beauty of it was you could run any crankbait through it and it would not snag, if it hung a little, the hose would bend and you could pull the bait off the end. I pulled one up to see how it was built. They had about 8 or 10 pieces of hose about 2-3' long, all stuck in a concrete block that had been poured. For shallow water cover, these things are hard to beat.

I'm curious. Do they not lay down flat after being in the water for a period of time? Or do they stay curved and hold their shape?

The ones I have built do not lay down. I rarely have any pieces longer than 4 ft, so there is not a lot of weight pulling the top end down. They are also somewhat buoyant.

Less gritchin', more fishin'
Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11584461 05/05/16 12:54 PM
T
toledo puma Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I understand from the guys that use PVC and or the plastic irrigation pipe that they rough up the plastic with coarse sandpaper to get the algae to attach itself better and quicker. I wear myself out trying to keep fresh brush down since of course it rots away. The plastic products would obviously have a longer life and was hoping that with all the experience on TFF we could come up with something a little lower maintenance

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11584585 05/05/16 01:54 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
You might try cypress wood. It is very rot resistant

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11584985 05/05/16 04:30 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Do some research on Lake Havasu. They have put lots of cover in this lake with good results. I think one of there best is cages .

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11585514 05/05/16 08:52 PM
S
scottsoutdoorworld Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I understand from the guys that use PVC and or the plastic irrigation pipe that they rough up the plastic with coarse sandpaper to get the algae to attach itself better and quicker. I wear myself out trying to keep fresh brush down since of course it rots away. The plastic products would obviously have a longer life and was hoping that with all the experience on TFF we could come up with something a little lower maintenance
i have made a few of these i did not rough it up but i wont fish them until jan so we will s
ee if they work hopefully algae will grow on them i put them out in dec they will have a 13 mo soak

Last edited by 21i300hp; 05/05/16 08:53 PM.
Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: scottsoutdoorworld] #11586248 05/06/16 02:49 AM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: 21i300hp
i have made a few of these i did not rough it up but i wont fish them until jan so we will s
ee if they work hopefully algae will grow on them i put them out in dec they will have a 13 mo soak

Wow that is quite a "structure"! Will make some good "cover". Seriously that is impressive. Does it show up on your sonar?

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11586614 05/06/16 01:24 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
21i300hp- That's impressive!! Lots of stuff for fish to swim around! Good height too!

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11587234 05/06/16 06:39 PM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: toledo puma] #11587250 05/06/16 06:48 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
I hate to differ but structure is not bottom change. A bottom change is a drop or ledge, or ridge. Structure is a stump a tree a lay down or like I was asking maybe man made structure. Brush piles are structure also man made

You can differ. But you're wrong;). A drop, ledge, point, ridge ect. Is called structure. See there ..you learned something new today:)..jk

Re: Best Man Made Bass structure [Re: Anchorman] #11587456 05/06/16 08:39 PM
S
scottsoutdoorworld Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: 21i300hp

Wow that is quite a "structure"! Will make some good "cover". Seriously that is impressive. Does it show up on your sonar?

thanks it is very hard to see i have hds12 gen 3 with 3d and i can see very little but that is why i did pipe unless i told you it was there you would never see it and its easy to build i just stack the pipe on my pontoon then screw it together and push it over when i get to my spot and i made some big hooks so after a year if fish dont hold on it i can pull it up and move it

Last edited by 21i300hp; 05/06/16 08:45 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide