Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: buda13] #11578785 05/02/16 08:33 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: buda13
Both are GREAT boats, the only issue I have with Legend is how much "side to side" movement there is when fishing. The fishing platform on the Skeeter is as stable as it gets, I can stand next to the gunnel and it will hardly move... do that in a Legend and watch the whole boat lean that way, especially if both angler on the front and back are standing on the same side. If your not a big guy its probably not as big of a deal, honestly you cant go wrong with either boat.

^^^^^ This, no offense to my buddy Gilroy grin

One of my best friends had a 21 foot Legend, pretty boat, except one thing to me, the storage sux'd.. If I had to pack in to his boat for a tournament I barely had room for my rain gear.. The layout is not my cup of tea after fishing in his.. I have a older Skeeter, a 2004 Zx225, I can pack more gear than 4 guys would need.. I used to give Randy a hard time about how bad the storage was, he knew it but loved the boat anyway... LOL.. each his own I guess....

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: bigbass94] #11578841 05/02/16 09:00 PM
JC Skeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Speaking for a 2013 Skeeter ZX20:

The number one thing I love about Skeeter's is that they are very "rookie friendly" and easy to drive. What I mean by that is, if you've never driven a bass boat and don't know about performance hulls and motor trim and all that stuff, then I suggest you learn how to drive with a Skeeter. They are perhaps one of the easiest boats to maneuver and drive at WOT. I have never dealt with any chine walking or porpoising and it's very responsive. Now, the majority of that has to do with your motor setup, jack plate, prop and trim. But it does have something to do with the style of boat. I like to compare the drive and handling of a Skeeter to a Lexus or BMW; easy to drive, plenty of power, luxurious, efficient and comfortable. You can say the same thing for Legend's and Ranger's as well. Whereas I compare such companies as BassCat, Bullet, or even a Triton, to a Camaro or Corvette; power, needs a little bit of drive time, but in the end, everything works out.

Note: Legends fall in to the category of easy to drive, plenty of power, efficient, and comfortable.

I love the storage on a Skeeter, the layout is unmatched, and when the trolling motor is down, there is arguably nothing comparable to it. I also like how the boat is roomy. I'm 6'3", 319 pounds and I feel very comfortable in my boat. Everything on a Skeeter is luxurious, user friendly and efficient. While these boats are user friendly and efficient, they offer plenty of power to make you feel a thrill. Myself alone, 1/2 tank of gas, empty live wells, and 2 Power Poles, I can hit 73.2MPH. Keep in mind that I'm also 319 pounds. The boat drafts relatively shallow, and it doesn't get blown around in the wind too bad.

Speaking for only the ZX20, the negative things are minimal but noticeable. The cooler isn't the best on the market, the hidden latches are an absolute pain for big hands and bad angles (you can't really open them from a sideways angle), and the ride isn't the greatest. Those are honestly the only negatives I can think about.

If I always have a Skeeter dealer around me, I won't ever switch.

There are guys that love Skeeter's and guys that hate Skeeter's, I for one love them.

As for Yamaha, I like em'. If not broke in properly they'll have a lot of problems (make sure you break it in properly!!!), it's easy to talk to your partner at speeds up to 40MPH, and they're very good at hole shots and torque with heavy loads. Pretty good gas mileage and they're very reliable as long as you break them in properly.

As for Legends, I've heard good things and bad things. First off, I don't know if there are any differences between a 2010 and 2016 other than appearances. So keep in mind that the newer Alpha's may have fixed a few of these things.

The number one good thing I hear about them is that they have a great ride; and they do, my buddy has a 2010 Alpha 199. The number one bad thing I've heard about them is that they have had problems with build quality. Several boats have had problems with the stringers.

Speaking purely for the 2010 Alpha 199. Pros: I love the ride, how easy it is to put it on the trailer, and the interior features. The ride on the Alpha series of boats is easily as good as a Champion! The control that this boat has at idle and low speeds is amazing. The interior is very classy and luxurious.

However, there are a few things that I don't like about the Alpha 199; keep in mind that if you get the Alpha 211R, there's virtually no difference in design and layout from the Alpha 199. Basically, the only difference is the length of the boat and there's a small storage compartment towards the bow of the boat.

The few things that I don't like on the Alpha boats are: seats (super uncomfortable and have horrible support), the width of the boat is fairly narrow and when the trolling motor is down, you're gonna be wishing you had a Skeeter. The rear storage compartments are somewhat small, they've had problems with the stringers in the past, slower top end, and if you're a big guy, the console area is slightly crowded.

There are things that I love and dislike about both boats. But in the end I love my Skeeter.

You didn't have to take the time to write this but I most certainly appreciate it. It absolutely helps me more than you know. I tend to keep things a while and when making a big purchase decision like this I try and get what I like the first time and take care of it. So having this type of knowledge will help me make the best decision for me the first time.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578857 05/02/16 09:05 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
angel

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578869 05/02/16 09:10 PM
Insurance man Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
On my second FX 21 and have no complaints. Have a buddy that owns a Legend and he likes it except when the wind is blowing...wet is what he tells me. Saw him at weigh in one day and he was soaked to the bone..doesnt happen in my FX. Both very nice boats though and lucky to have either!

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578939 05/02/16 09:40 PM
Clint A Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'm on my second Skeeter and love it. I've had other brands as well and prefer the Skeeter. The older legends seemed to be fairly rocky when walking the platform. The newer versions are wider and pretty solid.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11578977 05/02/16 09:56 PM
P
Phoenix 920 Pro xp Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Ride-Legend
Fit and finish-Legend
Speed-toss up
Fish ability-skeeter
Stability-skeeter
Resale-skeeter

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579099 05/02/16 10:58 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have own or fished out of both. I will go along with wouldn't be my first choice. I will give my opinion of the two you asked about. I think the Legend is first on fit and finish. I think when the trolling motor is down it would be a tie. The storage would depend on which boats of each brand you are looking at. The lay out would be personal preference because they both are nice boats on that. I think on ride it depends on which models you are talking about the ZX boats in Skeeter are faster but I am not impressed with their ride. The FX is not a fast boats but I thought they rode good when I was in them. I had a Iclass and was not impressed with it, but it was just a I20. I would get the FX21 if I where buying a Skeeter. The Legend 211 my buddy has is a nice boat and rides good. I think both are nice boats and you would be happy with either. The V series Legends have a huge front deck. They are so new I haven't seen a lot. I rode in a V-20 I will not comment on it because it was in the Legend tournament a few years back and it was a new boat and I really do not think it was set up right.

My first advice I would give you is ride and drive which ever models you would get down to. You will be paying a lot of money.

I guess you can tell by my handle which boat and model I would choose first. I ran Rangers and Phoenix has the best ride in my personal extremely bias opinion. LOL I will leave it at that because you asked about the other two. This was in respond to you asking why we would choose another brand. I wish you the best either way and Good Luck

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: Kay Dyson] #11579107 05/02/16 11:03 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter
Originally Posted By: buda13
Both are GREAT boats, the only issue I have with Legend is how much "side to side" movement there is when fishing. The fishing platform on the Skeeter is as stable as it gets, I can stand next to the gunnel and it will hardly move... do that in a Legend and watch the whole boat lean that way, especially if both angler on the front and back are standing on the same side. If your not a big guy its probably not as big of a deal, honestly you cant go wrong with either boat.

^^^^^ This, no offense to my buddy Gilroy grin

One of my best friends had a 21 foot Legend, pretty boat, except one thing to me, the storage sux'd.. If I had to pack in to his boat for a tournament I barely had room for my rain gear.. The layout is not my cup of tea after fishing in his.. I have a older Skeeter, a 2004 Zx225, I can pack more gear than 4 guys would need.. I used to give Randy a hard time about how bad the storage was, he knew it but loved the boat anyway... LOL.. each his own I guess....

I have to agree on the 211 and older but I do not think you will have a problem in the new V series boats. You can pack a ton of stuff in just the front.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579114 05/02/16 11:07 PM
ScottA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
All of the modern day bass boats are pretty dog gone good these days. I drive a Skeeter FX20. It's fast for me (75 GPS) and SUPER stable. No chine walking. It's a good old man boat for sure. I will say since I put on a set of 12' Talons slow cruising speed is a bit higher, anything slower than 33 GPS is wants to porpoise. Fishing platform is stable and spacious. And I LOVE the 250 SHO! Quiet and powerful. It's great being able to talk to your fishing budding while up on plane without having to scream. The motor is that quiet.

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579159 05/02/16 11:26 PM
borntofish1 Offline
Angler
Angler
My Legend 411R has plenty of storage. Ride is awesome. Like driving a Cadillac and sports car hybrid!! Don't believe the "getting wet" more than other brands myth.

It was close for me as well when choosing. Legend hands down has better look and ride, plus you are unique...you are a Legend.

Ha!!

Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579163 05/02/16 11:27 PM
S
skeeter james Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I had a 99 model Progator v 200 for 15 yrs and really liked the boat. Then I bought a new Skeeter FX21 2013 model. No power poles. But I'm amazed at how well this boat rides, drives, fishes. Best boat ever in my opinion !!!!

Formerly known as progator james
2013 Skeeter FX21 with a 250 SHO... Love this boat!!

James Moore
214-458-8024
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579195 05/02/16 11:45 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: JasonC
Originally Posted By: bigbass94
Speaking for a 2013 Skeeter ZX20:

The number one thing I love about Skeeter's is that they are very "rookie friendly" and easy to drive. What I mean by that is, if you've never driven a bass boat and don't know about performance hulls and motor trim and all that stuff, then I suggest you learn how to drive with a Skeeter. They are perhaps one of the easiest boats to maneuver and drive at WOT. I have never dealt with any chine walking or porpoising and it's very responsive. Now, the majority of that has to do with your motor setup, jack plate, prop and trim. But it does have something to do with the style of boat. I like to compare the drive and handling of a Skeeter to a Lexus or BMW; easy to drive, plenty of power, luxurious, efficient and comfortable. You can say the same thing for Legend's and Ranger's as well. Whereas I compare such companies as BassCat, Bullet, or even a Triton, to a Camaro or Corvette; power, needs a little bit of drive time, but in the end, everything works out.

Note: Legends fall in to the category of easy to drive, plenty of power, efficient, and comfortable.

I love the storage on a Skeeter, the layout is unmatched, and when the trolling motor is down, there is arguably nothing comparable to it. I also like how the boat is roomy. I'm 6'3", 319 pounds and I feel very comfortable in my boat. Everything on a Skeeter is luxurious, user friendly and efficient. While these boats are user friendly and efficient, they offer plenty of power to make you feel a thrill. Myself alone, 1/2 tank of gas, empty live wells, and 2 Power Poles, I can hit 73.2MPH. Keep in mind that I'm also 319 pounds. The boat drafts relatively shallow, and it doesn't get blown around in the wind too bad.

Speaking for only the ZX20, the negative things are minimal but noticeable. The cooler isn't the best on the market, the hidden latches are an absolute pain for big hands and bad angles (you can't really open them from a sideways angle), and the ride isn't the greatest. Those are honestly the only negatives I can think about.

If I always have a Skeeter dealer around me, I won't ever switch.

There are guys that love Skeeter's and guys that hate Skeeter's, I for one love them.

As for Yamaha, I like em'. If not broke in properly they'll have a lot of problems (make sure you break it in properly!!!), it's easy to talk to your partner at speeds up to 40MPH, and they're very good at hole shots and torque with heavy loads. Pretty good gas mileage and they're very reliable as long as you break them in properly.

As for Legends, I've heard good things and bad things. First off, I don't know if there are any differences between a 2010 and 2016 other than appearances. So keep in mind that the newer Alpha's may have fixed a few of these things.

The number one good thing I hear about them is that they have a great ride; and they do, my buddy has a 2010 Alpha 199. The number one bad thing I've heard about them is that they have had problems with build quality. Several boats have had problems with the stringers.

Speaking purely for the 2010 Alpha 199. Pros: I love the ride, how easy it is to put it on the trailer, and the interior features. The ride on the Alpha series of boats is easily as good as a Champion! The control that this boat has at idle and low speeds is amazing. The interior is very classy and luxurious.

However, there are a few things that I don't like about the Alpha 199; keep in mind that if you get the Alpha 211R, there's virtually no difference in design and layout from the Alpha 199. Basically, the only difference is the length of the boat and there's a small storage compartment towards the bow of the boat.

The few things that I don't like on the Alpha boats are: seats (super uncomfortable and have horrible support), the width of the boat is fairly narrow and when the trolling motor is down, you're gonna be wishing you had a Skeeter. The rear storage compartments are somewhat small, they've had problems with the stringers in the past, slower top end, and if you're a big guy, the console area is slightly crowded.

There are things that I love and dislike about both boats. But in the end I love my Skeeter.

You didn't have to take the time to write this but I most certainly appreciate it. It absolutely helps me more than you know. I tend to keep things a while and when making a big purchase decision like this I try and get what I like the first time and take care of it. So having this type of knowledge will help me make the best decision for me the first time.

It's no problem at all! I know it's a big purchase, and you're gonna want all of the info on both brands!

However, there are 2 things that I forgot to mention that a few other guys have. I just wanted to touch on it as well. The side to side movement of the Alpha series can be pretty bad. Maybe it's because I'm so used to the wide front deck of a Skeeter, but it's noticeable nonetheless. 99% of all anglers spend most of their fishing time with the trolling motor down. So in my opinion, you really need to consider how each boat will perform during that time, because that's where you'll be spending most of your time. At least, that's what I assume. When the trolling motor is down, it's windy, and the waves are big, a Skeeter will out-perform a Legend Alpha without a doubt. I have enough experience in both to say such a statement with confidence. Of course this is my opinion, but you'll notice that a lot of guys will say the same thing. If you get a V20 or V21, then the debate about fishing with the trolling motor down is a toss up between the Skeeter and V series; they're virtually the same width.

I also want to state that the Legend V 20 has had serious hole shot and planing problems. Some guys have been unable to even get on a plane, no matter what they do. Legend has stated that they have fixed the issue, but just be cautious.

Last edited by bigbass94; 05/02/16 11:57 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: bigbass94] #11579284 05/03/16 12:23 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would have to go with the Skeeter, I think they are a better fishing platform, they look really good and they are made in Texas.

[Linked Image]
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579315 05/03/16 12:35 AM
bholladay Offline
Angler
Angler
I have had a Legend LE-21, I currently have a Alpha 211, and My V-20 will be ready next month. I fish out of a friends FX regularly while we are fishing tournaments and he fishes in mine. In my opinion the fit and finish of the Legends go well above and beyond Skeeter. My boat has held up better than the skeeter and they are the same year model. The ride in the FX is good but the Legend rides and drives great as well. At the end of the day both are good boats but I keep choosing the Legend. The only complaint I have with my 211 is the storage layout, and I think the V-20 will be much better.

I would talk to dealers and try and drive both boats if you can. If you happen to be near Lubbock send me a PM I'd be happy to take you out in my 211 or in my V-20 in a month or so.

Last edited by bholladay; 05/03/16 12:40 AM.
Re: Skeeter vs Legend [Re: JC Skeeter] #11579345 05/03/16 12:47 AM
B
Beast From The East Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Ive fished in both and to compare the fishing platform of a skeeter to a V20 is just plain silly.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide