facebook
Forum Stats
102734 Members
61 Forums
859346 Topics
11273867 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11577739 - 05/02/16 08:43 AM Spinning set up?
texasAUtiger Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Waco, TX
I am trying to put together two good (in terms of price/performance ratio) spinning rod/reel combos for bass fishing. I was looking at a Duckett Micro Magic Pro 7' medium heavy with fast tip ($150) or Duckett Ghost 7' MH fast ($100) or Shakespeare Ugly Stick GX2 one piece 7' (or maybe it was 6'9" I forget) MH fast ($40).

I was looking at pairing some of those with Lew's Tournament Pro high speed ($99 - $20 rebate from Gander Mtn), or Penn Battle II 2000 ($99) or Lew's GX2 ($59). All are spinning reels. Lew's are 6.2:1 with 10 bearings while then Penn is 5.8:1 with 6 bearings. I'd probably be putting 20lb braid on it.

I am new to fishing and just beginning to build my equipment up from Zebco 33 level stuff. I listed these based on input from friends and some internet homework but am open to this or other suggestions based on your experience. This should give you the range (hi med low) that I'm looking at.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by texasAUtiger (05/02/16 08:44 AM)

#11577971 - 05/02/16 10:23 AM Re: Spinning set up? [Re: texasAUtiger]
6.5BR Offline
Green Horn

I would consider Pflueger President 6930 and Shimano Sedona in a 2500 for your budget. Had a Battle 3000, good smooth reel, but perhaps a tad heavier than the other models mentioned. The 2000 is lighter as you know than the 3k. Good luck.

#11578049 - 05/02/16 11:05 AM Re: Spinning set up? [Re: texasAUtiger]
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler

I've had several spinning rigs ranging from BP products to G-Loomis with high end reels, so with that said here are a few thoughts on spinning rods and reels: What you need depends a lot on what method (technique) you intend to use your setup for. Freshwater spinning tackle is generally used for light weight or finesse fishing...but not restricted to that only. Without getting too specific into technique I would suggest a more general purpose setup as a starting point. After lots of searching and testing and buying I settled on one spinning rig for most spinning techniques...not saying its the one best, foolproof, always works solution. It's just the one I'm comfortable using in most situations. The rod is Powell Max 3D 712 ML ex-fast. Its sensative and has great feel but has enough backbone to "hoss" a fish out of some pretty thick stuff even though its lightweight. The 7' 1" length lets me cast small stuff just a little farther and for me thats a good thing.
The reel, a Diawa Legalis 2500SH, kinda' got used by default as I didn't want to spend any money on a reel at the time. Thats not the case now so I'm not recommending the Legalus, but it has been a pretty good reel. What I can say about spinning reels is this...the larger diameter spools tend to have fewer problems with "wind loops". Wind loops happen when using very light lures and light lines...smaller diameter spools tend to unspool extra line when throwing light lures, the tension on the line when starting to retrieve a light lure is less and the two combine to make knots, "wind-loops" in the spool. Larger diameter spools lessen the problem, but a large spinning reel on a light tackle rod doesn't make sense...at least not to me. So get one of the new large diameter spool, small body spinning reels for your setup. I would suggest a front drag and a handle that will fold up and stay out of the way. One of my old fishing buddies, who absolutely refused to use spinning tackle, called them "get in the ways" and "sissy rigs" but he did have a point. Spinning reel handles hang up on everything in the boat. So there's my 2 cents, but really its all up to you and your budget. Hope this helps. Keep thinking good thoughts and good luck fishing. thumb

#11578541 - 05/02/16 01:48 PM Re: Spinning set up? [Re: texasAUtiger]
psycho0819 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Kaufman
Don't write off the Berkley Lightning Rod until you've handled one. It is a great economical rod that is sensitive and durable. I have fished them for years and am only retiring the ones I have to replace them with rods I'm building myself. I always defaulted to the 7' MH model, sensitive, pretty light, good backbone, and tough.

On reels,

The Battle 2, if anything comparable to the Battle 1 I have, are awesome reels. Built like tanks. But as said above, they are a tad heavy. Not too bad if you don't have a basis of comparison, but when compared to something like my Okuma Helios (good reel), I can tell a significant difference.

The aforementioned Pfleuger President is one reel that should never be overlooked. It is priced well below its level of quality IMO.

Anything in Shimano's line-up from the price-point of the Sedona on up would likely serve you well too.

Another one to take a look at is Mitchell's "pro" line-up. I recently bought a 308 pro and have been very impressed with it so far. They also have a 300 (bigger) and a 310 (smaller).

I fish spinning gear almost exclusively. I read and hear horror stories about wind knots, tangles, and all sorts of problems people have when using it. I suspect it's mostly baitcaster guys, who think spinning gear is for sissies, having the bulk of the problems, lol. I have had a few issues over the years, but it was always a component selection that led to the issues I had. Usually when trying something new, almost always a different type of line. I have pretty much refined what works for me now, don't depart from that, and hardly ever have issues with my gear. Like anything, how you use the gear is as important as the gear selection.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide