Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What to do when kids aren't interested. #11574627 04/30/16 02:32 AM
steve_twice Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I grew up hunting and fishing, never wanted anything in the world more than to spend time outdoors with my Dad. Now I've got elementary age kids and they just aren't interested. They've been on some good fishing trips and some slow ones, and either way they're just not into it. It's a twofold problem for me because I am dying to share the outdoors with them, but don't want to force them. And when I go without them that's a whole day or weekend I don't see them. Ever dealt with this? They are 10 and 9.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11574685 04/30/16 02:53 AM
C
charlief1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
You may have waited to late. What age did you start trying? I was 5 the first time I went fishing and dad always got field & stream that I looked at. He hated fishing and getting him to teach me how to hunt was like pulling teeth, but we did some when I got into my early teens.

I'm on other forums that deal with the old turbo powered Buicks.;)
Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11574800 04/30/16 04:18 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I don't know what to do with kids that age yet - I haven't gotten that far with the step-grandkids. We started very early. I will say that both had been out in the boat on fishing trips by age 3. Both were casting their own Zebco 33 spincast outfit by age 4 and caught fish. They practically live for it. High speed runs have never phased them - they think they should drive! (They only drive at much slower speeds with no other boats nearby).

It sounds like they veered off-track from your hopes between age 3 and age 9. That's a long time, two thirds of their life. You have to look at what they do DO, and look at how to make your outings more interesting to them than their existing interests. How about doing videos they can see later? (Think add a GoPro to the boat.) Maybe you could do some flipping/pitching practice/contest with them at home to give that a game aspect? Have you ever eaten any fish they caught? Some might feel very proud to bring home dinner, so to speak. Just some thoughts - I have no idea if it will help, but maybe you can find an angle that will work.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11574916 04/30/16 11:11 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I think you're right not to force the issue. Give it some more time but know that it may happen later in their lives or it may never happen. They may get interested later when their friends go fishing....you might even consider taking one or two of their friends along with them....just a thought. You didn't mention what type of fishing you do but be sure when you take your kids that you get them into lots of action such as perch or crappie. Keep their little minds active.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: bush hog] #11574998 04/30/16 12:48 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Take them when they are ready and don't force it. When you do take them, keep them active and leave the lake at the first signs of boredom.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575001 04/30/16 12:51 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I'll bet they have too many other things (video games and internet) that gives them instant feedback.
Fishing is boring to them,..I have a grandson like that.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575015 04/30/16 01:09 PM
D
DanD14 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
My kids thought it was too slow of an activity. They couldn't wait til I got done so they could ride the tube or just jump in. Mix it up, like has been said. Bait a set of jugs so you don't leave the lake empty handed.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575036 04/30/16 01:31 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Some will take to it and some won't. My son never had much interest in either hunting or fishing but now one of his son's is the same way and his other son can't get enough. I was lucky enough to be able to take my grandson out to catch his first fish. Fishing and hunting ain't for everybody I guess.
Those that don't fish or hunt seem to have a lot more money in the bank than those of us that do.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575074 04/30/16 02:07 PM
SeaAggie2015 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
When they go with you make a big deal out of it. Everything is "Awesome!", and nothing but a positive experience. Not catching fish? "AW look at that blue heron trying to catch dinner!" When they don't go, brag a little about the day. "Oh we caught the mess out of them" or "you should have seen this eagle!" Don't lie, just make it seem like the completely awesome experience that it is.
My dad took us a lot but the whole time we were out you could tell he would rather us not be there. He's easy to read and you can tell that he was agitated with untangling and retying (which is part of it). Always feeling like you were in the wrong or your dad was agitated with you is what turned my brother off the sport. Now he would rather play Xbox. I prevailed because I had friends that fished and we would go without adult supervision to creeks and ponds.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575081 04/30/16 02:15 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: steve_twice
I grew up hunting and fishing, never wanted anything in the world more than to spend time outdoors with my Dad. Now I've got elementary age kids and they just aren't interested. They've been on some good fishing trips and some slow ones, and either way they're just not into it. It's a twofold problem for me because I am dying to share the outdoors with them, but don't want to force them. And when I go without them that's a whole day or weekend I don't see them. Ever dealt with this? They are 10 and 9.

I raised my daughters on fish hatcheries and in the backwoods where I lived and worked. For the most part I and their mom had to drive them to town for studies in things like dance and music and for birthday parties and such. They would spend some time with me outside, but showed not much interest in it, mostly just endured it. Same as their mother. They'd show a little more interest if with their pawpaw.

That was up and until they got interested in boys, especially a particular boy, then it all changed. They could not get enough, and used poor ole dad for access to places for them and their boyfriends to fish. Even after getting married, still loving to fish, hike, and camp outside.

Take 'em, but don't make 'em. Sometimes I'd make it clear there was no other choice but to go with me or their mother, and their mother went a lot of places they thought were worse (even more boring) than going fishing so...

I'd make it fun, spend a lot of time cast netting bait and looking at stuff in the water. Let them fish and land some of the big fish, or lose them.

My youngest brought back fifty pounds of halibut and salmon from her honeymoon. The older is planning her marriage around a fishing trip down South.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575265 04/30/16 04:59 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
2 sons, 2 daughters. We fished occasionally when they were growing up. Not enough money or time for me or them. They were more interested in sports and being popular at school.
They are all grown now. I have regrets now too. I wish I had started earlier taking them and doing so much more often.
2 sons are ok for a while. they get bored easily. 1 daughter is like her mom, the boat is for riding around looking at stuff. But it can't be forced on them at any age, or they will probably be turned off completely.
1 daughter is all about fishing.
1 son has 3 kids. 1 grand daughter isn't interested. 1 grand son,16 yo. and 1 grand daughter, 14 yo. love to fish all day.
grand son wants to be game warden or similar occupation.
He will be here when school lets out for 2 weeks of fishing and thumper building.

Me in 1st week of June: banana woot clap bouncy breakdance bannana2

Last edited by jbobo; 04/30/16 05:01 PM.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575653 05/01/16 12:41 AM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I have two daughters neither of whom are outdoorsy. As much as I tried, they didn't take to fishing, boating, canoeing or kayaking. Not interested. I started them both out at an early age but some people just aren't outdoor types. I'm just happy they're decent people with good values and no arrest sheet.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575894 05/01/16 02:40 AM
F
Fritz423 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I don't know, there's 4 of us brothers and 2 of us are fishing/hunting maniacs and 2 that never fish. The oldest and youngest don't fish. We all had the same trips with dad so I have to believe it's more than just being exposed to it.

I left home and never felt the desire to fish until I hit about 22, one day I just went out and bought a pole.

Wishin' I was fishin', and dreaming of beer
Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11575975 05/01/16 03:39 AM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
The best you can do is expose them to various activities and live with whatever they wind up liking.

Re: What to do when kids aren't interested. [Re: steve_twice] #11577885 05/02/16 02:47 PM
S
Slufoot Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
I started mine around 5 and now I have grandkids I have started the boy catching perch at a barge at 3yrs old now the grand daughters age 9 and 5 have gotten interested in fishing. Those are some perch catching machines now and we have graduated to catfish and small bass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide