Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stocking question #11569256 04/27/16 07:06 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
My brother in law was asking questions that I have no clue about so I turned to the board of knowledge.

Under ideal conditions if you stock 3" black & or white crappie how long will it take them to reach the 10-12" range ?

Which of the 2 would be more hardy ?

Next question is if he goes out and catches spawning crappie right now and transfers them to his stock tank will they go ahead & finish the spawn ? Then start out with a ton of hatchlings ?

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569274 04/27/16 07:15 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
You really need to talk to a fisheries expert before stocking crappie in any tank. In most cases, they recommend not to stock crappie unless you have a large tank , and the necessary predator fish first, Crappie will overwhelm most tanks.

Gman

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569299 04/27/16 07:31 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I have always heard that black crappie are better for ponds but I am no expert.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569356 04/27/16 07:55 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
He is only in the brain storming stages at this point.
The tank is plenty big and they won't be on a free ride lol. I've got a pretty decent channel cat population going for him over the last few years.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569362 04/27/16 07:56 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
The thought of them OVER populating is no where in the ballgame lol.
There's enough kids fishing it that if he needed to take out a few hundred fast that it could be done pretty easy.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569675 04/27/16 10:27 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
I was told once (by some guy giving a pond management seminar) that crappie will not reproduce in a tank under 25 surface acres in size...found that hard to believe...as I understand it, they sell black crappie for pond stockings, but I can't say that a biologist or salesman will agree with me on that subject. As a kid we always stocked our own ponds with fish from the lake...so we could catch them when we couldn't get a ride to the lake...worked real well. Fish seemed to get pretty fat too...Not sure those 3" crappie are gonna make it to adulthood in a tank loaded with cats...me personally, I would probably just catch at the lake and release in the tank...which would be the only way I would catch and release a legal crappie!!!

All my tanks are subject to go dry, so I don't ever stock them.

See if you can get SheCrappieKilla to weigh in on the subject...he knows a thing or two about the subject...Just DONT mention to DW that I said that!!!! LOL

Re: Stocking question [Re: crapicat] #11569717 04/27/16 10:41 PM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I told him once the water settles back down from all the flooding that we could catch a couple dozen legal crappie and start stocking it the old fashion way.

I agree a 3" crappie better be real smart & very fast or else they are not going to live long lol.

Originally Posted By: crapicat
I was told once (by some guy giving a pond management seminar) that crappie will not reproduce in a tank under 25 surface acres in size...found that hard to believe...as I understand it, they sell black crappie for pond stockings, but I can't say that a biologist or salesman will agree with me on that subject. As a kid we always stocked our own ponds with fish from the lake...so we could catch them when we couldn't get a ride to the lake...worked real well. Fish seemed to get pretty fat too...Not sure those 3" crappie are gonna make it to adulthood in a tank loaded with cats...me personally, I would probably just catch at the lake and release in the tank...which would be the only way I would catch and release a legal crappie!!!

All my tanks are subject to go dry, so I don't ever stock them.

See if you can get SheCrappieKilla to weigh in on the subject...he knows a thing or two about the subject...Just DONT mention to DW that I said that!!!! LOL

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569811 04/27/16 11:34 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
It'll take fingerling crappies about 3 - 5 years to reach 10-12 inches, under ideal conditions; they're a fairly slow growing fish.

I don't know which is more hearty, they're both pretty delicate species.

You might get some reproduction out of a transplant during the spawn cycle but I would think the chances are low. One of the primary reasons private pond managers don't recommend crappie is because their spawns are inconsistent. And, when they do have a successful spawn, the offspring can often be so numerous that the predators can't thin them out fast enough and the entire crappie population becomes stunted.

Both white and black crappie absolutely will spawn in a small pond, often to the detriment of the entire fishery. It then takes overstocking a predator species or draining and re-starting to get the fishery back in order.

Now, you can have successful crappie populations in small ponds, it is just very difficult to maintain and often the "good fishing" is short lived. When an owner is dead-set on it, black crappie are recommended because their spawns are a little more consistent and a little less likely to "boom or bust" than white crappie. Next, overstocking largemouth bass (or if the water hardness is high enough, stocking hybrid striped bass in addition to largemouth bass) has been shown to be effective at maintaining a low enough population of crappie to allow the crappie to reach good eating size. The trade-off here is that you must maintain the high population of largemouth bass (and/or hybrid striped bass if water chemistry allows) through minimal harvest (if any) which leads to a smaller average size of largemouth bass (lots of skinny bass in the 9-12 inch range). My guess is that if catfish are the only predator in the pond, after the adult crappie that you stock in the pond die out, all you will have left are oodles and oodles of 3-5 inch crappie (mostly too small to catch by rod and reel alone) and some very happy catfish.

Another option is hybrid crappie. They tend to grow a little faster than the normal strains because the energy that would go to gonad production (they don't reproduce much, if at all) is put towards muscle growth and you don't have to worry about them overpopulating. The trade-off with hybrids is that they are a put-and-take kind of fishery where the number you put in is pretty much all you're going to have until you put more in to replace natural and fishing mortality.

Scott Jones
Re: Stocking question [Re: Outdoordude] #11569949 04/28/16 12:39 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
THANK YOU SIR !!!!
That is the exact feedback I was needing & looking for !
Thank you for taking the time and going into full details of the ups & downs ! Can not thank you enough !
I agree that the catfish would have a field day lol. When the kids fish it's pretty steady action of 8~9# averages.

With all of that being said I will screen shot it and send it to him.
Seems as though IF he proceeds with the idea then he'd be better off to catch a 18-24 legal sized crappie out of a lake and release them back In his tank.

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
It'll take fingerling crappies about 3 - 5 years to reach 10-12 inches, under ideal conditions; they're a fairly slow growing fish.

I don't know which is more hearty, they're both pretty delicate species.

You might get some reproduction out of a transplant during the spawn cycle but I would think the chances are low. One of the primary reasons private pond managers don't recommend crappie is because their spawns are inconsistent. And, when they do have a successful spawn, the offspring can often be so numerous that the predators can't thin them out fast enough and the entire crappie population becomes stunted.

Both white and black crappie absolutely will spawn in a small pond, often to the detriment of the entire fishery. It then takes overstocking a predator species or draining and re-starting to get the fishery back in order.

Now, you can have successful crappie populations in small ponds, it is just very difficult to maintain and often the "good fishing" is short lived. When an owner is dead-set on it, black crappie are recommended because their spawns are a little more consistent and a little less likely to "boom or bust" than white crappie. Next, overstocking largemouth bass (or if the water hardness is high enough, stocking hybrid striped bass in addition to largemouth bass) has been shown to be effective at maintaining a low enough population of crappie to allow the crappie to reach good eating size. The trade-off here is that you must maintain the high population of largemouth bass (and/or hybrid striped bass if water chemistry allows) through minimal harvest (if any) which leads to a smaller average size of largemouth bass (lots of skinny bass in the 9-12 inch range). My guess is that if catfish are the only predator in the pond, after the adult crappie that you stock in the pond die out, all you will have left are oodles and oodles of 3-5 inch crappie (mostly too small to catch by rod and reel alone) and some very happy catfish.

Another option is hybrid crappie. They tend to grow a little faster than the normal strains because the energy that would go to gonad production (they don't reproduce much, if at all) is put towards muscle growth and you don't have to worry about them overpopulating. The trade-off with hybrids is that they are a put-and-take kind of fishery where the number you put in is pretty much all you're going to have until you put more in to replace natural and fishing mortality.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569975 04/28/16 12:54 AM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Anytime. Sounds like he has a pretty sweet catfish pond already =).

Scott Jones
Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11569992 04/28/16 01:06 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Lol. Yes sir he does. I spent lots of time stocking it for him.
the kiddos are really enjoying it so all the "hard work" of catching them is paying off everytime the kids set the hook.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11570069 04/28/16 01:38 AM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Just curious but how is your brother in law planning on getting the crappie from the lake to his pond?

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11570101 04/28/16 01:52 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
No telling.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11570104 04/28/16 01:54 AM
L
Luke98 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I caught the catfish out of private lakes and tanks and hauled them in a giant homemade live well.

Re: Stocking question [Re: Luke98] #11570227 04/28/16 02:46 AM
D
dwmoore Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
I stocked our tanks 2 yrs ago when they dried up with hybrid blue gills they grow about 3/4 lb a yr.They come up and feed just like the cats.My grandkids catchem till they get tired .Hint break the barb off and you want be unhookin .Darrell

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide