texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,876
Posts13,954,640
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters #11564551 04/25/16 08:43 PM
C
Colby Black Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
During the warmer months, I love to put on a top water mouse and take the kayak out for some bass fishing at night. The bass that are typically more shy during the day, come out and slam top waters at night. Your average bass size goes up and you have a blast.

The other fun aspect is that you can hardly see anything. You can often barely see the wake caused by your top water until BAM you hear a bass slam it and your rod bends over. You then fight the fish practically blind, with all your senses ramped up. Its a blast.

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11564589 04/25/16 08:56 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Sounds like lot of fun Mr. Black. Thanks for sharing.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11564607 04/25/16 09:04 PM
JC Skeeter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have to admit, some of the best fishing I have ever had, and the most fun by far, is top water fishing at night. Starting in a few weeks, I will actually get on the water around 4am or so. The lake I fish close to home is filled with lilly pads by then.

I use a frog and I can't tell you how much fun it is. I catch more doing that before sun up than if I were to fish a full 8 hours during the day. Color doesn't matter either, they just react and hit it.

Some of my biggest bags have come from fishing like this. Best fish I have caught is right at 8lbs. You can't see obviously, you just know there is something big on the line, a ton of fun. Highly recommend giving it a shot. Especially since here in Houston during the summer it can get to 95 at 8am.

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11564626 04/25/16 09:12 PM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Buzzbait-black and red skirt with black blades. 'Nuff said!

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11564634 04/25/16 09:16 PM
T
trippbo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
the sound of a black jitterbug getting smashed on a moon-lit night!

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: JC Skeeter] #11564708 04/25/16 09:49 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Used to go onto a few golf courses at night, black frog or black spinnerbait, super fun!!

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11564722 04/25/16 09:57 PM
C
Colby Black Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
There is something about fishing at night. I really enjoy the fact that you can't see very well. It heightens all of your other senses as well as the experience itself. I have yet to bring a friend out who hasn't caught more fish, that are bigger, while having more fun in doing so.

If you haven't fished at night, I highly suggest doing so. I like fishing from around 7:30pm until about 11pm. The bite will cool down and if you are really feeling up for it....it will turn on again from around 1-3am. By then I'm done lol.

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11565017 04/26/16 12:04 AM
K
ksalmon Offline
Angler
Angler
K
Ok now I'm curious. Do you use a spotlight? Just fish on a full moon? I have fished until it gets dark then I hang it up for the night. Sounds like I am missing out. And explain why black works when it's nighttime.

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: ksalmon] #11565213 04/26/16 01:16 AM
C
Colby Black Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: ksalmon
Ok now I'm curious. Do you use a spotlight? Just fish on a full moon? I have fished until it gets dark then I hang it up for the night. Sounds like I am missing out. And explain why black works when it's nighttime.

As you can see in the video I posted, I never use lights. At most, I use a head lamp with a red light but often I only use that when I land the fish. (Or I'm giving the video camera something to see) The fuller the moon the better and you want to fish on a calm night. That said, though I have caught plenty of fish with no moon and overcast. If it windy, simply find protected areas and fish that.

The only real difference without a moon is less hook ups. You really need to sow down your retrieve. When I use a live target mouse, I walk the dog with it creating a lot of action while retreving it really slow so the fish can zero in on it. If I had to plan only one kind of night to go out on it would be when a moon set/rise occurs at the same time as a sun set that was also right before a front coming in but like I said, most nights work great this time of year.

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: ksalmon] #11565390 04/26/16 02:12 AM
P
Preacher Ed Offline
Angler
Angler
P

It is really amazing how you can get used to casting without using a light, even with little moon. I can't explain the reason black is used at night even though I have read why it is. But it does work. When using soft plastics, we used Red Shad or Tequila Sunrise. I haven't night fished in a while because as I got older, it took me longer to recuperate after fishing all night. We generally fished from dark to just after sunup to catch the early morning topwater bite. But you need to try it. Go to a lake you are familiar with so that getting around isn't an issue. Two tips-put your night fishing lures in 1 box so you don't have to go through a bunch of stuff at night. 1/2 oz. Single Blade SB (black or black/red skirt), buzzbait with black or gold blade & black/black & red skirt, Black Jitterbug, worms in dark colors, terminal tackle for either TX rig or C Rig in the 1 box and you are ready to go. I'm sure others will have their favorites for night fishing, but keep it simple and go and have fun. Second tip is-keep a penlight in your pocket or a small light on your head like OP has in the video so you don't have to scramble in the darkness to find a light. It's very peaceful at night and you will have a blast.

Last edited by Preacher Ed; 04/26/16 02:15 AM.
Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Preacher Ed] #11565581 04/26/16 03:45 AM
C
Colby Black Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: Preacher Ed

It is really amazing how you can get used to casting without using a light, even with little moon. I can't explain the reason black is used at night even though I have read why it is. But it does work. When using soft plastics, we used Red Shad or Tequila Sunrise. I haven't night fished in a while because as I got older, it took me longer to recuperate after fishing all night. We generally fished from dark to just after sunup to catch the early morning topwater bite. But you need to try it. Go to a lake you are familiar with so that getting around isn't an issue. Two tips-put your night fishing lures in 1 box so you don't have to go through a bunch of stuff at night. 1/2 oz. Single Blade SB (black or black/red skirt), buzzbait with black or gold blade & black/black & red skirt, Black Jitterbug, worms in dark colors, terminal tackle for either TX rig or C Rig in the 1 box and you are ready to go. I'm sure others will have their favorites for night fishing, but keep it simple and go and have fun. Second tip is-keep a penlight in your pocket or a small light on your head like OP has in the video so you don't have to scramble in the darkness to find a light. It's very peaceful at night and you will have a blast.

Well said. And yes, the black baits work well because it will unnaturally be darker than anything else and creates a very noticeable blacked out shadow of itself. Want to see this in action, put on a light colored t-shirt and go stand in the bathroom in the dark. Once your eyes get adjusted you will notice it blends in. Now do the same thing with a black t-shirt. The black shirt will be noticeably darker than dark. It will completely black out your shape against the lighter backgrounds and stand out.

It's actually one of the reasons real ninjas never would have never really wore black ninja outfits and more likely would of wore light greys and blues. =P

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11565979 04/26/16 01:37 PM
D
dragonsdaddy Offline
Angler
Angler
D
fwiw- wear eye protection when night fishing. hooks are still sharp and dangerous when attached to an unfettered 1 ounce topwater returning from where it came.

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: dragonsdaddy] #11566008 04/26/16 01:53 PM
C
Colby Black Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: dragonsdaddy
fwiw- wear eye protection when night fishing. hooks are still sharp and dangerous when attached to an unfettered 1 ounce topwater returning from where it came.

That is pretty good advice. Thanks

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Colby Black] #11566280 04/26/16 03:33 PM
J
JoeyC Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I also bring extra underwear and shorts. Having a big blow up in pitch black has caught me off guard too many times.

Re: Bass Fishing At Night With Top Waters [Re: Donald Harper] #11566437 04/26/16 04:29 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Sounds like lot of fun Mr. Black. Thanks for sharing.

Plus #1! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide