texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,768
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marine Coating Test #11561183 04/23/16 10:47 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I am painting my trolling motor so I searched for marine paints. I chose Top Secret Coatings to paint with. In the first 2 photos are bare metal being etched then primed with self etching primer. The etching went flawless even turned the steel a gold color the aluminum just shined. I then applied the self etching primer thinned at 10% with a brush (supposed to self level) mistake it was not thinned enough should have been 25%. This is first time with their product I usually spray with a gun. Gotta sand out the brush marks lol.

Who ever said nothing in life is impossible.
Never tried slamming a revolving door.
Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11561197 04/23/16 10:57 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Notice the mixing cup made of plastic I tried to clean it the paint etched itself into the plastic. That is some bad azz stuff. This is just the sandable primer anyway have to do one more coat. Then on to the Epoxy sealer sometime tomorrow have to do 2 of them also. These coatings are different than anything I have used before kind of reminds me of plastic dip even though they are not.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11561208 04/23/16 11:07 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I bet it will be well protected. Maybe you don't want that stuff in a gun after all?

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11561260 04/23/16 11:55 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I think you are right. The thing about spraying it the cup would have to be disposable, nossel and needle stainless along with tip. Talk about a pit stop for cleaning ya better be quick. I know it would be sand free if applied with a gun. Be a good use for the 3M I call it plastic gun everything but the body is plastic disposable. These coatings are interesting to play with I like it so far.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11562183 04/24/16 05:01 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
This primer sanded very eaisly very nice they recomeneded 150 grit. I will not use anything under 220 with this paint 400 worked great also. Now for the bad DO NOT BRUSH OR ROLL THIS PAINT AS IT WILL NOT FLATTEN OUT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. THIS SELF ETCCHING PRIMER MUST BE SPRAYED TO SAVE YOU SPENDING TIME SANDING BETWEEN EACH COAT. I will call them in the morning to see if it is me very doubtful it is me. Off to buy a cheap primer gun. I called BS on no brush marks when I talked to the rep. Metal hates brush work always has always will.

This coating binds the best I have ever seen. I just have to get the application down correctly.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11563921 04/25/16 03:46 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Just got off the phone with Supermarine was told to use xylene as a thinner for brush application. Their sm 605 thinner is fast dry. This primer is the stickiest I have ever worked with and does not want to let go of anything when wet. I am happy to report it was me not the product. That said I am only going to spray their pruducts through a spray gun consistant finishes reduce sanding time and most importantly no brush marks.

More to come stay tuned lol. If anybody can screw it up it's me, got plenty of paint to make mistakes.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11569234 04/27/16 06:58 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Neck been killin me last couple days that said I am back at it. I went and purchased a Harbor Freight detail spray gun 20.00. About 20 min ago I sprayed this 664 with it. I am impressed by this paint and gun paint went on smooth flat and pretty. Still have some sanding to do things from my brush experiment. Here are a couple pics.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11569646 04/27/16 10:11 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Second coat finished just more white no issues. Take notice at the stainless measuring 1/4 cup. This primer etched itself to stainless without first being acid etched it won't come off without sanding.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11571603 04/28/16 08:13 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I just put on the first coat of SM 7390 2 part epoxy it was supposed to be grey. Sprayed great just cannot tell coverage due to it being the same white as SM 664 D here is a pic. I wanted grey so I could tell if any gouge went beyond this waterproof barrier so I could fix it quickly. Well Brat when you see metal fix it, oh wait it is too late then water has already done it's nasty.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11576569 05/01/16 06:34 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
looks like great stuff, what paint system did you get. I bet this stuff would be great to seal and paint the bottom of a rivet boat.
I used a product called coat-it on a boat, and it worked ok, but would chip off if you hit a gravel bank.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11576774 05/01/16 09:17 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
These are from Top Secret Coatings Super Marine coatings. I used 2 different primers Sm 664 D was sandable base they say I could have top coated it that said I wanted a 2 part epoxy water barrier which I just finished the second coat it is SM 7390. Tomorrow weather permitting the Sm 1000 Revolution black goes on it is a rated bottom paint for salt water U.S. Navy uses it on their composite test boats A.F. uses it on F-22 Raptor nose tough stuff. Here is the latest pic. Finally got the application down with spray gun .

MEK is dangerous to inhale always wear your respirator and gloves. Can cause brain damage if ya have one so be careful with any 2 part EPOXY.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11576796 05/01/16 09:31 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I had to use PYREX measuring cups any thing else the coatings bind themselves to. The pyrex cleaned up fairly easily,easy to measure with considering I was only using 2 oz of the coatings. These coatings cover more than conventional paint they go a long way when sprayed.

I have been painting since 1975 every auto paint including my favorite DuPont Imron (forced air respiration required for any 2 part urethane). These coatings have impressed me with their bonding properties,self leveling when sprayed,and general ease of use. Have to wait 24 hrs to top coat so the epoxy cures enough.

Mr. Matt Biderman at nationalpaintsupply.net has been great steering me in the right direction when I have had issues keepin me straight too which ain't easy. So 2 Thumbs up for Matt and these SuperMarine products. For me easy 5 stars for both.

Last edited by militarybrat; 05/01/16 09:37 PM.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: leanin post] #11576868 05/01/16 10:08 PM
M
militarybrat Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: leanin post
looks like great stuff, what paint system did you get. I bet this stuff would be great to seal and paint the bottom of a rivet boat.
I used a product called coat-it on a boat, and it worked ok, but would chip off if you hit a gravel bank.
I was looking at marine coatings online was going to go with Dupont Axalta Imron and their Corlar primer since I know these. Then I decided to check out Super Marine liked the name the more I read about them the more interested I became. Decided to go with the new kid on the block went to web site and paired their products according to their recomendations. The SM 1000 is supposed to improve hull speed by 14% some have reported they had to go up in prop pitch as a result of using it as a bottom coating.

I don't know much that could survive a shot by gravel bar without chippin. Maybe Gator hyde and thats just a maybe. Rocks are the most destructive thing in the marine enviorment when struck.

Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11576891 05/01/16 10:23 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
MEK is what is used to activate Gel Coat as well, and fiberglas resin.
Aluminum has always been tricky to paint, because it oxidizes quickly, and nothing likes to stick to oxidation, rust, or shiny and slick surfaces. If the product truly does acid etch itself to the aluminum, so the seal and topcoats can stick, you got it by the balls.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Marine Coating Test [Re: militarybrat] #11576893 05/01/16 10:24 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
we used to wipe down aluminum with vinegar prior to painting, and that seemed to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide