Forums59
Topics1,039,128
Posts13,959,676
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11564544 04/25/16 08:40 PM
A
amobo45 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
What are Ghost minnows and where do you get them?

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11564571 04/25/16 08:50 PM
B
BroIncarnate Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I wish someone would do this for Granger!! Very nice post BankAngler!

Last edited by BroIncarnate; 04/25/16 08:50 PM.
Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: amobo45] #11565119 04/26/16 12:42 AM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: amobo45
What are Ghost minnows and where do you get them?

They are a long, skinny, almost opaque minnow. We catch them with a throw net.

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: BankAngler50] #11565186 04/26/16 01:09 AM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Caught many a channel on them and sandies too out of Grapevine. Live or dead they work better than anything. I used to thread them on a hook like a worm and slow drag them across the bottom off of sand bass point. I caught mine with jugs and cornmeal. If I had help we just seined them along the sandy bank.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Best catfish bait for banking [Re: amobo45] #11565526 04/26/16 03:06 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Pretty good description and advices above. Yes 1/4" mesh castnet or a 2 men minnow seine will catch the minnows. I usually start at the boat ramp, then any hard bottom shore line as mentioned above should catch plenty of minnows. thumb

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: kodys'papa] #11571427 04/28/16 06:45 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: kodys'papa

And West Tawakoni City Park was built for bank fishing

Yes bank angler, it was. The grant was from US Fish & game and that paid for the ramp and the roads down to the point, along with culverts and turnouts for banking.
thanks kodys'papa for sharing this info, only you would know these details from inside city hall. It's one of a kind park as far bank fishing goes. The irony is other on weekends, this park actually the whole lake is under utilized 3 seasons out of a year. When I goes on week days usually not many people were fishing there at all, Springs and ear summer probably the only time you see people lining up the banks, and even then there's plenty of room for everyone to fish.

If I can help it, we need more bankers at Tawakoni, so that the politicians won't do what they did to Dalrock Park at ray Hubbard.

So come on y'all, go catch some fish at Tawakoni. Everyone at all age can catch fish at old T-wok. If you're not sure where to start keep follow this thread, I'm going through the process in reverse order by giving the necessary info to those experienced anglers first, such as what baits and where, but will gradually going into the nuts and bolts for beginners soon after I cover weather, winds, water temperature and currents which is intermediate level of fishing. So stick around y'all.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Catfishing Weather, winds and Currents [Re: BankAngler50] #11572544 04/29/16 05:01 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
If anyone have any questions please don't hesitate to ask here in this thread or pm me. thumb

Thunders -- get off the water and seek shelter. fish go deep and lock jaws. Don't touch your graphite rods.

Drizzle, light rain and shower can be really good for catfishing....

More later....

Re: Catfishing Weather, winds and Currents [Re: BankAngler50] #11572850 04/29/16 01:53 PM
D
Dunkky dude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
BA50, thanks for sharing your wisdom with fellow bankers. I don't know if i will ever get to fish at that lake, but i really appreciate your honest effort regardless to help out other bankers. Other's might worry about ruining their honey holes, but that's their agenda. you do what you believe is right. nobody can satisfy everyone, it's just part of our lives.

Besides that, i just found my old castnet from the garage which i haven't used for like a decay.. smile how would i go about targeting this ghost minnows around lavon or lewisville? Do i need to hire "ghostbusters".. sorry couldn't resist..

I would like to try the lewisville broken dam someday with ghost minnows for cats and hybrids. I don't know when that will be but for the future reference.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11574211 04/30/16 12:10 AM
K
Klinker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
I can't seem to search up the location of Arm Point park....is that a "local" name?

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: Klinker] #11574300 04/30/16 12:47 AM
T
Texasian Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Just Google "Arm Point Park" and it pulls up a map and everything...What are you doing to "search up"?
Here's the link to the Google search:
Google Search for "arm point park"

Here's the screenshot of the Google search:

Last edited by Texasian; 04/30/16 12:50 AM.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11574304 04/30/16 12:50 AM
C
Cyberfisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Thank you for being kind to us kinda new bank fisherman. Ive had some good luck there but only been to a few spots. I really appreciate this post!

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: Dunkky dude] #11574680 04/30/16 02:52 AM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Dunkky dude
BA50, thanks for sharing your wisdom with fellow bankers. I don't know if i will ever get to fish at that lake, but i really appreciate your honest effort regardless to help out other bankers. Other's might worry about ruining their honey holes, but that's their agenda. you do what you believe is right. nobody can satisfy everyone, it's just part of our lives.

Besides that, i just found my old castnet from the garage which i haven't used for like a decay.. smile how would i go about targeting this ghost minnows around lavon or lewisville? Do i need to hire "ghostbusters".. sorry couldn't resist..

I would like to try the lewisville broken dam someday with ghost minnows for cats and hybrids. I don't know when that will be but for the future reference.

You're welcome DD, and thanks for the kind words. First you probably need to buy a new net, 1/4 inch mesh net to catch minnows. I would start at any wind swept boat ramp especially those that has those green slimy algae, ghost minnows love those green algae. Wear polarized sunglasses so you can see them. Throw the net where you see them. Look for those green algae to give you clue how deep you need to throw, usually one side of the boat hold more minnows than three other. Throw once to right side, then throw once to the left, then one more throw to middle, now your done, minnows are gone, you have wait st least 30 minutes before they come back

Any hard bottom areas, sand, gravel, or compact dirt along the shore will hold minnows

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11576564 05/01/16 06:25 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Catfishing Weather

Thunders -- get off the water and seek shelter. fish go deep and lock jaws. Don't touch your graphite rods.

Drizzle, light rain and shower can be really good for catfishing. I usually fish with waders and wader jacket ($20 from Academy ) so rain never bothered me.

The day after a good soaking rain with runoff is excellent for catfishing. Find a little pocket of water where wind current push the water back into that pocket, food stubs (insects, worms and other nutrients that were washed down from the fields) tend to collect there, schools of blue catfish will come. I especially like the north winds and three places never failed to produce, 1. Little cove in front of the SRA boat ramp , 2. Little pocket of water on the right hand side of the northern main point arm at State Park. 3. Little cove on east side of West Tawakoni City Park point. Nightcrawlers are the ticket. It's a little tricky when lake has flowing currents when water level is over pool as it is currently. I'm going to say the SP spot should still produce, but the other two might not. The reason being current might carry food stubs away from those places.

More later....

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/03/16 07:37 AM. Reason: clarify food stubs for fish

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11579201 05/02/16 11:47 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Anyone go fishing Twok tomorrow morning?

Here's a good example, you got some rain today and assuming the ground was fairly saturated from previous rains, there was runoff water into the lake. Steady NW winds 9-10 MPH. wind die down a bit but steady N wind 4 mph into the morning. Moon won't be up till pass 3 am,... perfect for dawn catfishing tomorrow morning. Under normal years conditions, ie no flowing currents in the lake, West Tawakoni City Park East side of the point would be crawling with 4-5 lb blue catfish, so would SRA Boat ramp, and SP north point both sides.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 05/02/16 11:49 PM.

Re: Best bank fishing spots at Lake Tawakoni [Re: BankAngler50] #11580961 05/03/16 08:53 PM
C
catcrap Offline
Angler
Angler
C
thanks for the updates! I'm going up there next weekend to try it out and I really appreciate all the helpful advice.

Give man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach man to fish, he'll sit on a boat and drink beer all day.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide