Print Thread
Slip Bobber Question #11549796 04/18/16 01:49 PM
A
Anchorman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
What is the advantage of a slip bobber vs a the type bobber that has the little wire spring loaded hooks you can easily adjust by pressing the button? The slip bobber seems to have a lot of components you have to deal with vs simply squeezing a regular bobber onto the line.

I'm missing something and need to be enlightened! confused I've fished with bobber my entire life and have always wondered why anyone would mess with the slip bobber set up... popcorn

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549819 04/18/16 01:57 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Slip bobber allow you to set your depth deeper without trying to cast a bobber with 10 ft of line out. The slip bobber slides down (so you can cast easy) when you cast and slides to the depth you have set once it hits the water.

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549837 04/18/16 02:03 PM
C
crapyetr Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
i'm like u Anchorman, never used a slipbobber and don't understand how they work...

enlighten us, fishin'aholic2...won't it get tangled up n my Zebco 33???

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549842 04/18/16 02:06 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
There is a small thread that you put on your line at the depth that you want the bobber to stop at. You reel it into the reel and it comes off when you cast. I have never had issues with it tangling up in the reel as long as you trim the ends off.

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549872 04/18/16 02:19 PM
A
Anchorman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Well that makes total sense. You reel it in and the bobber stops on the spit shot above the hook, you cast and the hook sinks and the bobber slips until it stops on line stop! Genius!

Tell me this now that my ignorance has been exposed, can you use this rig when you actually want to cast and reel with a bobber? One of my favorite ways to catch crappie is shallow water is to run a jig below my bobber and slow roll it in. With this slip bobber rig will it cause the bobber to slip down towards the split shot when you slow roll it in?

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549875 04/18/16 02:22 PM
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Slip bobbers offer many advantages. See my blog for details. You will have to scroll down to find the section on bobbers.

It is important to use a good quality balsa bobber - not cheap foam or plastic. Thill makes the best bobber, but they are a little pricey. Eagle Claw makes a cheaper one which is almost as good.[i][/i]

Slip bobbers will not work well with the slow roll. The bobber will try to slide towards the jig.

[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549885 04/18/16 02:25 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Anchorman
Well that makes total sense. You reel it in and the bobber stops on the spit shot above the hook, you cast and the hook sinks and the bobber slips until it stops on line stop! Genius!

Tell me this now that my ignorance has been exposed, can you use this rig when you actually want to cast and reel with a bobber? One of my favorite ways to catch crappie is shallow water is to run a jig below my bobber and slow roll it in. With this slip bobber rig will it cause the bobber to slip down towards the split shot when you slow roll it in?

Yes it will to some degree depending on how fast you slow roll it back in. You will be able to tell once you mess with it some as to what speed will make the bobber slide down. They are meant for more of a slow twitch back than a slow roll. I typically use the cigar slip floats from Walmart as they cheap and work great.

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549916 04/18/16 02:39 PM
A
Anchorman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Thank you for the info. I've got a crappie hole I fish a couple times a year where the fish are normally at 7-10'. I've learned sitting on top of them spooks them away. I like to anchor back a ways and cast a bobber/jig past them and slow roll it over them. But when my jig needs to be 7-8 feet below my bobber that makes it hard to cast and manage.

i'll have to play around with this and see if this slip bobber thing helps! Thanks again! cheers

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549928 04/18/16 02:45 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Crappicat explained it well in another post similar to this. If you want forward motion on your jig then you need a fixed bobber. If you want a up/down/falling motion on the jig then a slip bobber works best. As you know, the fish will tell you which motion he likes best.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11549964 04/18/16 03:03 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

This setup is excellent for live bait. If you want to use a jig under your slip cork simply repeat below the cork what you did on top of the cork with the bobber stopper and bead.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11550052 04/18/16 03:42 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Anchorman
What is the advantage of a slip bobber vs a the type bobber that has the little wire spring loaded hooks you can easily adjust by pressing the button? The slip bobber seems to have a lot of components you have to deal with vs simply squeezing a regular bobber onto the line.

I'm missing something and need to be enlightened! confused I've fished with bobber my entire life and have always wondered why anyone would mess with the slip bobber set up... popcorn

One obvious advantage of a slip bobber is when you are fishing in treetops, cat tails, reeds, or other difficult to fish type structures....the slip bobber will allow you to put your jig/float into a "small opening" and get it back out again when your opening is so tight you can't get a fixed bobber and jig into that "small opening". There are times when tighlining difficult structures is not possible, the slip bobber is your best option. Another good use for a slip bobber is when you are fishing relatively light line over brushpiles or rocks; you can set your depth just above the structures to help eliminate break offs, plus it will allow you move those jigs over the brush with slow movement.

One of the things to remember on pole selection for slip bobber rig, is to get a pole with large eyelets, especially on the end of the pole. It makes casting them easier and fishing them deep easier. I generally keep a pole with a slip cork rigged up and in the boat.

Fixed bobbers are usually designed for relatively shallow water uses (5 ft or less depending on pole length). I always keep a fixed bobber in my shirt pocket and ready to go in a moments notice. Drifting a cork by a log, rock, tree, or outside of reeds, weeds, cat tails, etc. Slow rolling, slight twitches, or minor movements can best be achieved by fixed corks (no hopping the jig) just relatively minor/steady movement at the desired depth.

The best way to figure out how slip bobbers versus fixed bobbers provide movement is to try them out in a swimming pool...set them at 1ft, then 2ft, then 3ft, then 4ft, then just above max depth of the pool...then the next time you are fishing, visualize what type of movement you want from your jig...and remember back to your pool time...if you forget, keep going back to the pool excercise until you get it right....I can't tell you how many times I practiced that routine, until it kind of stuck with me. Once you understand the principles, then you can start to apply them to real fishing situations...which is a trial and error process, at best. Good luck and I hope this information helped.

BTW Bush hog...thanks for the kind words.... thumb

Re: Slip Bobber Question [Re: Anchorman] #11550083 04/18/16 03:52 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Big advantage with a slip cork is detecting bites. If you use a slip cork with the long middle piece (balsa corks have a long center piece) the line runs thru the cork and any movement sideways by the fish can be detected easily. The clip on type corks are usually attached at one point at the bottom of the cork and small bites are hard to detect. Even if the line is attached at top and bottom of clip on corks, the light bites are hard to detect. Round corks are just about useless IMHO.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide