Forums59
Topics1,038,939
Posts13,955,908
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11545005 04/15/16 08:08 PM
H
Hookem Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
I wouldn't come to Bastrop on training day.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546267 04/16/16 03:15 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: goodolick
http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoo...ies-restitution

Are there any other libertarian / constitution loving folks out there that see this as HUGE violation of our 4th amendment rights?

Thankfully, I have not had it happen yet, but, I am not going to be very pleasant when TWPD comes and Fs up my waters to say "papers please"

Yes, but....

The wardens are tasked with a diverse, sometimes dangerous and always difficult job. As long as the situation is not abused by law enforcement, they require a lot of latitude to do the job effectively.

Unfortunately, many times it is. Especially with a broad interpretation of the terms used in the rules and regulations.

Just food for thought here....is a cow wildlife? How about a fiftieth generation selectively bred catfish within the confines of a closed aquaculture system?

Why is a tilapia an "exotic species" and a chicken is not? Both are simply domesticated animals raised on farms in Africa for thousands of years and eventually brought to North America to produce high quality protein.

So you see, although I understand everybody's outrage at the above post, I believe most Texans have never born the brunt of an unfair, un-Constitutional, illogical, unscientific, politically driven attack by TPWD. I, however, know many that have.

Consider this, Texas as a state, consumes more fish than any other state in the US. Texas has an amazing amount of natural and human resources. To quote a professor from Mississippi, "Driving across Texas from the Eastern border to Fredericksburg we've seen enough land and water to raise enough fish for the entire planet." So with the natural and human resources as well as the largest market for fish right here, why aren't fish produced here instead of Mississippi

Yep, there are a few libertarian minded, freedom loving, Constitution adhering, capitalists out here with a bit of a problem of how things have been politically, rather than economically and biologically driven on some things within TPWD.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546341 04/16/16 04:19 PM
G
goodolick Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Not a troll at all, and I am downright shocked by all the people here that are willing to throw away their 4th amendment rights for a little security. Per the US constitution, this is a clear violation of your rights. I understand the reason for having GWs, but, they should not be able to stop, search or seize any of YOUR property without probable cause.
Just because you have a boat and a fishing pole you are willing to give up your rights?
I have not been stopped by a game warden, but the fact that I can be, without probable cause is entirely disturbing.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: fitter2259] #11546351 04/16/16 04:24 PM
G
goodolick Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: fitter2259

Are there any other libertarian / constitution loving folks out there that see this as HUGE violation of our 4th amendment rights?

Thankfully, I have not had it happen yet, but, I am not going to be very pleasant when TWPD comes and Fs up my waters to say "papers please"

What specific part of the write up do you take issue with? Or do you have a problem with all of it?

No probable cause, violation of 4th amendment rights.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: Uncle Zeek] #11546357 04/16/16 04:26 PM
G
goodolick Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek

What part of the linked page do you think is a 4th amendment violation?

The fact that you are subject to search without probable cause.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546360 04/16/16 04:28 PM
S
STEVE B Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Ima go out on a limb and say you're in the minority

team BY -GOD. [Linked Image]
Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: STEVE B] #11546366 04/16/16 04:34 PM
G
goodolick Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted By: STEVE B
Ima go out on a limb and say you're in the minority

I guess so, I figured more people would not be willing to give up their bill of rights, seems the general climate is to bury their head in the sand and accept their tyranny while the boot of the government drives it in deeper.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546374 04/16/16 04:39 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
If you have a rod & reel then you have probable cause to be asked for a legal license. It's not your lake it's the states lake, make your own lake and you don't need a license.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546448 04/16/16 05:43 PM
GROD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Keep in mind you can go to jail for anything besides a speeding violation and an open container. GW has the power to confiscate all your stuff!

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546449 04/16/16 05:44 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek

What part of the linked page do you think is a 4th amendment violation?

The fact that you are subject to search without probable cause.

When & where is this in the page you linked to? If I'm sitting by the lake drinking beer with my buddies, the game wardens have no probable cause nor authority to search me. But if they observe me attempting to take fish from public waters, then they have the authority to check my license and inspect the fish I have in my possession.

*edit* in all the years I've been fishing and boating, I can honestly say that I have NEVER had law enforcement search me. They ask to see my license, any fish I have in my possession, and whatever mandatory safety equipment is supposed to be on the boat. Game wardens have NEVER set foot on my vessel, patted me down, etc. The only time I've been boarded was by the Coast Guard when I got too close to a submarine facility (up in Alaska), and they didn't search the vessel - they only had me move away from the place and checked boat documents.

Last edited by Uncle Zeek; 04/16/16 05:48 PM.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: goodolick] #11546462 04/16/16 05:57 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
No one has a problem with it until they are confronted with it.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: ChuChu1] #11546539 04/16/16 06:47 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1

What's the options? Cooperate with them or don't, if you have nothing to hide then nothing wrong with cooperation.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: grout-scout] #11546552 04/16/16 06:54 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1

What's the options? Cooperate with them or don't, if you have nothing to hide then nothing wrong with cooperation.

Didn't say anything about cooperation. I've read more than one post where someone got checked and "the warden was an azz". It's only when confronted with the situation that people have a problem with it. Rest of the time they are all for it.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: grout-scout] #11546625 04/16/16 07:45 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
If you have a rod & reel then you have probable cause to be asked for a legal license. It's not your lake it's the states lake, make your own lake and you don't need a license.

Grout-scout, I believe that simple possession of rods/reels in my boat may not be sufficient to require that I have a license, even if I'm on the lake. Real example: we have a couple of rods in the wife's pleasure boat used mostly for skiing/tubing, but rarely use them. We could be on the water, engaged in tubing, but not be required to have a fishing license simply due to possession of that fishing equipment. If I'm observed in an action that would represent to intent to take fish using those rods stowed on-board, then the situation changes, and a license would be necessary.

On one occasion when returning to at a ramp area in my bass boat, my safety equipment was checked. I cooperated of course, and even asked "Do you want to see my fishing license?" to which I got a reply "No, I didn't see you fishing so I don't need to see your license." from the officer.

Re: Just curious, how many other people have a huge problem with this? [Re: grout-scout] #11546697 04/16/16 08:37 PM
G
goodolick Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G

No, having a rod and reel does not give them probable cause. Last I checked, fishing was legal. Probable cause means the suspect you of committing a crime.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide