Main Menu
Newest Members
H2O Express, Cjcarrier3, RCB, Camel1, sleepyt23
107393 Registered Users
Top Posters
TexDawg 88125
hopalong 78894
Pilothawk 76186
JDavis7873® 67390
John175® 66811
FattyMcButterpants 60846
Derek 🐝 59758
Tritonman 57922
LoneStarSon® 54255
SkeeterRonnie 53300
Forum Stats
107393 Members
60 Forums
854398 Topics
12189123 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11534052 - 04/11/16 08:48 AM Anyone familiar with filing for lost title in Oklahoma?
Cole Miller Offline

Registered: 06/07/14
Posts: 58
Loc: Lawton, OK
Yeah yeah I know, okie on a Texas fishing site...
But I might be buying a 14ft Jon boat and the guy said I'll need to file for a lost title and I'm not sure how all that works.. He said the title burnt in a house fire a few years back
Lake Ellsworth in SW Oklahoma
Pb: 30lb Blue Cat

#11534075 - 04/11/16 09:02 AM Re: Anyone familiar with filing for lost title in Oklahoma? [Re: Cole Miller]
Flippin-Out Offline
Extreme Angler

Registered: 02/25/15
Posts: 2141
Loc: Magnolia, TX
For EVERY state I've ever lived in "filing for a lost title" means that the recorded owner requests a replacement title from the state where it was recorded as a titled vessel. That means HE is supposed to get that title. The boat is in his name (supposedly) and the replacement title would say just that.

I'm not offering legal advice, but here in the state of Texas, TPWD boating division basically says RUN when someone tries to sell you a boat and does not produce a legitimate title to go with it. Sample scenario: Buyer buys boat, sellers says "file for lost title". Buyer files, finds out said boat was NOT in the seller's name. Guess what? You've just been had for the full amount....the boat ain't yours unless you bought it from the owner and he signed the title over to you.

Tell him to get the replacement title, then you'll tango.

#11542651 - 04/14/16 01:40 PM Re: Anyone familiar with filing for lost title in Oklahoma? [Re: Cole Miller]
SoonerDG Offline
Extreme Angler

Registered: 02/15/02
Posts: 1577
Loc: Joshua, TX
Yes, in Oklahoma only the registered title holder can file for a lost title. Go to the tag office and there's a form that needs to be filled out. They can give you the form and you can take it to him and have it filled out. Then take the form back to the tag office. I think it costs $30. The title will come back in his name and then all of the normal transfer of title stuff will have to take place.

Also just's against the law to sell a vehicle without a title. That bill of sale garbage that sellers like to spout is just that....garbage.

Edited by SoonerDG (04/14/16 01:42 PM)
"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.


© 1998-2017 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide