Print Thread
Night fishing? #11532770 04/10/16 08:46 PM
B
Bluecatkayak Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
What are some basics to catching crappie at night this time of year? I'm probably going to try and go to Alan Henry Tuesday or Wednesday night and try to get after some crappie, but I'm not sure what depth to look for, or what jig colors. I figured black and chartreuse would be a good start and move on from there and experiment. I don't really want to deal with using minnows in my kayak, but I may buy a couple dozen anyways.

But mainly, what depths should I be looking for, and what color jigs should I use to catch crappie at night?

Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11533712 04/11/16 03:21 AM
J
Jerod Pontello Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Ive never done it out of my yak but been doing good in about 5'-8' off of a pier just hanging lights on side

Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11533778 04/11/16 04:21 AM
M
MrNovice Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I use minnows in coves with lighted bobbers. They were around the cattails a month ago (2-3 ft) where I fish, but moved out recently to deeper waters (6-8 ft) in the past 2 weeks. Still fishing minnow 2 ft below bobber, even in the deeper waters and catching them.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11533783 04/11/16 04:24 AM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
It seems harsh when I say it but they will be in the same spots as they are during the day, just easier to catch.
If there are crappie staging to spawn, fish 4' to 8' of water. If the spawn is past move to deeper points 10' to 12'.

I have caught allot of crappie with a coleman lantern fishing shoreline at night, moving real slow In an 18' bass boat. I always used minnows at night. Locating fish was difficult enough, I wanted to make sure I was using a bait they wanted.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11533869 04/11/16 11:48 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: teenfisherman
What are some basics to catching crappie at night this time of year? I'm probably going to try and go to Alan Henry Tuesday or Wednesday night and try to get after some crappie, but I'm not sure what depth to look for, or what jig colors. I figured black and chartreuse would be a good start and move on from there and experiment. I don't really want to deal with using minnows in my kayak, but I may buy a couple dozen anyways.

But mainly, what depths should I be looking for, and what color jigs should I use to catch crappie at night?

I am NOT a kayak fisherman, nor have I fished Alan Henry...but I night fish...I have a couple questions for you to consider...are there any feeding flats? IF so, is there any submerged trees, points, roadbeds, ditches, or other structures on the feeding flats? Where can you find Shad/baitfish in large numbers? These are important questions to answer...Also, take a cruise around the lake and look for spots with nightlights over or near the water and brush/structure in close proximity.

Crappie move up in the water column and feed where shad or other baitfish are located. There is an old saying "the fish are moving up to feed" that you need to remember. If crappie are hanging out in 15ft of water, and you are catching them only bottom, at dark you will begin to catch them shallower, say at 12 or 10ft. If you have green lights out (or a Coleman lantern for that matter), once the Shad start showing up, the crappie will move right up under them (2 to 5 ft) and pick them off as they circle the light. Don't fish in the light though, fish n the darkness just outside the lights edge, because that is where the crappie will be picking off the baitfish. If you can catch some Shad, use them and hook them through the lips or belly hooked.

Normal jig colors are black/pink, black/chart, purple/white (TCU alum), AND...(drum roll please). Thermocline Silver Flash...I use the LIL FRY personally, but the key is to match the size of the bait to the size of the Shad. Thermocline has various sizes/profiles on his website, and shipping fairly prompt...Under the lights, this little bait outshines them all, but I have also had success with pearl white, as well...If you have no external lights, work on the colors with contrast...black/pink for example.

TAKE MINNOWS...you will need them until the Shad show up...especially, while you are learning the ropes...even I do when night fishing...but I only get 6 dozen or so, anymore...I have a net that I can catch Shad in when they show up...and I have lots off Silver Flash baits available to use...I use the Silver flashes as soon as the Shad start showing up...once I start catching them on jigs, I pull my minnow poles out of the water and go to one pole and jig as usual, except I use a really small jig head 1/48 or 1/64, to slow down the rate of fall, because that is when they are going to hit it (on the fall).

Well these are some basics, hope it helped...good luck and good fishing!

Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11533943 04/11/16 12:51 PM
B
Bluecatkayak Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks for all of the help everyone, I wish alan henry were a bit easier to fish, but it's all steep rocky bank with trees EVERYWHERE. Sounds to me like I'll be stalking the backs of coves and creeks with an LED lantern strapped to the front of my kayak when I go out, and taking a minnow bucket with me!

Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11533986 04/11/16 01:15 PM
S
Spiderman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
And move slowly so the school of shad can keep up. Once you spend the time to attract them to the light you don't want to loose them.

They create the Bite.

Last edited by Spiderman; 04/11/16 01:16 PM.

The Truth is six of the seven Dwarfs are not Happy!
Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11534067 04/11/16 01:56 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I always enjoy reading through these crappie basics threads. This is great info. I'm a lifelong bass fisherman now in a pontoon and trying to learn these things. One thing I lived by when I was a weekend warrior tournament angler was "never stop learning". I was always tuned in when I read or heard other experienced anglers sharing info. But when you get out there you have to tune in to what is going on around you and use your own experience and knowledge to put fish in the boat. At some point you have to develop your own strategies and style otherwise you will be chasing your tail trying to do what everyone else is doing.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11535028 04/11/16 07:53 PM
C
Crappie Hooker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Night fishing for crappie has been my forte for years now, especially in the warmer months when the wake makers are plentiful. Find the sheer drop offs. 15 to 30 feet straight down at the banks. Something near a point is better. Throw out the green lights and get ready.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:
Romans 1:16

Mike Chambers

Re: Night fishing? [Re: Bluecatkayak] #11535118 04/11/16 08:29 PM
K
KQT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Check into a green light. Cabela's sells one that is just right for a kayak. They are the led submersible ones around $100. I saw a smaller 12 volt battery at Bass Pro shops (not cheap). I plan on getting one for my PA 12 so I don't have to lug a big one. If you decide to get one PM me and I will give you the details on the 4 jig combo I use.
Keep a look out for a June channel cat get-together in the kayak section. We are going to load up on them and cook them for a shore lunch.

Common carp 26
Goldfish 9.78lb
Mirror Koi 14lb
Koi 16lb
Channel Catfish 26lbs
Blue Cat 30lb
Bass 9.5lb
Re: Night fishing? [Re: Anchorman] #11535568 04/12/16 12:23 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Anchorman
I always enjoy reading through these crappie basics threads. This is great info. I'm a lifelong bass fisherman now in a pontoon and trying to learn these things. One thing I lived by when I was a weekend warrior tournament angler was "never stop learning". I was always tuned in when I read or heard other experienced anglers sharing info. But when you get out there you have to tune in to what is going on around you and use your own experience and knowledge to put fish in the boat. At some point you have to develop your own strategies and style otherwise you will be chasing your tail trying to do what everyone else is doing.

What anchorman says is the truth...You have to have a place to start, obviously and that helps you to gain some confidence...but there will be a point when your gut tells you to do something, that others may tell you is a waste of time, but don't be afraid to make your own path...and if something works for you, then keep dialing in on it...the key to fishing is to put fish in the boat, and there are many ways to do that, and when you are putting fish in the boat, whose to say it is wrong? I fish with many different people and a lot of them do the same thing differently...I love fishing with other people because it helps me to evolve my tactics and even learn new ones!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide