facebook
Forum Stats
102723 Members
61 Forums
859113 Topics
11270459 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11526357 - 04/06/16 07:12 PM if you ask TPWD a question will they answer you?.
jwcromer Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: N. Richland Hills,Texas
example why are you killing,and have killed vegetation, in various lakes,you don't kill just a little(Purtis Creek) you kill it all,there are no home owners on this lake(Purtis Creek)WHY?

#11526508 - 04/06/16 08:46 PM Re: if you ask TPWD a question will they answer you?. [Re: jwcromer]
Smithaven Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Hurst, Texas
It depends. If you ask the regional biologist what species you caught you will probably get a prompt answer. If you ask why they ruined Purtis Creek you will certainly be ignored. If you want to pursue the question download the names and addresses of all the TPW commision members and send them a formal and respectful letter asking your question. If you write to Carter Smith, the TPW executive director or lower on the totem pole you will probably be ignored.

Now to answer your question. A group of biologists at TPWD have made their reputation studying weed control in lakes with grass carp (white amur). A list of papers written on the subject can be found in

this PDF document on page 50.

In order to do a study for a thesis or publication one needs data. The biologists could care less about the fishery. They just want to be able to publish a paper or in some cases a doctoral thesis.So they pick a lake and release the fish.

#11526858 - 04/07/16 06:03 AM Re: if you ask TPWD a question will they answer you?. [Re: jwcromer]
RedRanger Online   content
burro desagradable

Loc: Frisco, Texas
I have used my local congressman to contact governmental agency on my part, I would think they would deal with TPWD also.

Your congressman will have people in their office to help you and in my experience are very diligent

I'm a top 10er!

#11527186 - 04/07/16 09:11 AM Re: if you ask TPWD a question will they answer you?. [Re: RedRanger]
Kisndismis Offline
Angler

Loc: Kingwood, TX
When I inquired about poor fish populations in my home lake ( Houston) TPW local guy Mark Webb called me personally 2x and we spoke at length about it, took a week or so to hear back but he told me to call him personally in the future with questions. And there was a local place here that got sprayed, said he knew nothing about it but the second call was in regards to him investigating and telling me who was doing it and why.

Like taxes, I cant do anything about where the money goes, I just want TPW to spend it where it comes from. Houston is a big contributor I am sure.

#11527262 - 04/07/16 09:44 AM Re: if you ask TPWD a question will they answer you?. [Re: jwcromer]
79scooter Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Saginaw Tx
It depends, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont

#11532434 - 04/10/16 11:36 AM Re: if you ask TPWD a question will they answer you?. [Re: jwcromer]
Dawson Hefner Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Brownsboro, Tx
If you look up the office controlling the lake and call them they will probably tell you. If you are talking about hydrilla they consider it invasive and destructive to a habitat that it takes over. It chokes out native plants, and can become an issue for swimmers and other lake users. Over the years here in east texas a number of people have died due to drowning when they became tangled in it. I know it for sure happened on Lake Jacksonville and I believe at least one other. The way hydrilla grows it is not possible to only kill part of it as it can grow a new plant from a single section that drifts around the lake and settles. It does not have to be rooted to start growing either. Boat props and trolling motors chop it up and wind does the rest, so even a relitively small growing patch can repopulate a lake. Now having said all that I remember it being good for fishing on Lake Hawkins about 10 years back before they put the grass carp in there. If your not talking about hydrilla well then I'm sorry I may have wasted your time and mine. Good day sir.

www.texasmegafishadventures.com for guided rod and reel alligator gar angling
Licensed Guide Dawson Hefner
903-721-4296

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide