Print Thread
BPS.... What to get with $120??? #11524490 04/06/16 03:13 AM
H
HOTBAMike Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Have a gift card and contemplating combos. Should I just look elsewhere and spend on tackle our do they have something decent y'all could recommend?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after

-Henry David Thoreau

www.heartoftexasbassanglers.com
Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: HOTBAMike] #11524507 04/06/16 03:24 AM
R
Ram4bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Wow, now that's a loaded question!

Hate to say it, but it depends. The most important question is "how do you fish?"

That will dictate your choice. If you are just beginning/casual fisherman, then a simple spinning outfit can easily be had for that price or just a bit more. A Pflueger President spinning reel in 250 size will run $59 and it can't be beat at that price. That leaves you with $50 or so for a 7ft medium rod. Nothing ground breaking at that price point other than an Ugly Stick GX2. They're about $39. Use the extra$$$ for tax and descent line and you're good to go for a lot of situations.

Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: Ram4bass] #11524594 04/06/16 04:22 AM
H
HOTBAMike Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Dang man, you're absolutely right. I appreciate you taking the time to point it out because I'm sitting here pretending y'all have some idea of what I'm looking for.

Looking for a baitcast combo. I have a few spinning combos micro and regular that are a little outdated but usable given that I fish with them less than 20% of the time.

Largemouth fishing primarily, but non boater so still try to get out on the water when I can. Would like to get something than can start me on path to success in tournaments without breaking the bank. Just got back into it and trying to build up some newer stuff since I've been overseas or out of Texas for the past 15 years.

Better idea of how I'm getting back into it on a budget:

(Last 2 months)
Abu Garcia Pro Max 3 w/ vengeance 6' mh rod
Garage sale purchase of ton of tackle for $21 (picture below)
$10 for 4 spinning combos but just Shakespeare type stuff for kids to get comfortable using
$50+last weekend getting stuff more popular on belton, still house, and cedar creek lakes. (Chatterbait, A-rig, green pumpkin flukes, magic shad swimbaits)
$40 on a kvd combo listed in topic just below this

So..... would you still go spinning upgrade? Otherwise, pretending I have no newer design tackle, other than the recent purchase, is there a must have in your opinion? Scale, pliers, things associated with shorefishing success.

Sorry it was long-winded,but wanted you to have a better understanding from my perspective. Military has me bassin on a budget and $120 isn't a helluva lot.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after

-Henry David Thoreau

Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: HOTBAMike] #11524595 04/06/16 04:24 AM
H
HOTBAMike Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H

-Henry David Thoreau

Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: HOTBAMike] #11524613 04/06/16 05:06 AM
R
Ram4bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
You are definitely on the right track!

Now to the point....save. The #1 thing in your tackle box is experience and confidence! The fish don't care what your combo is. They see the bait and it's action. And if it looks good or pisses them off-then they'll hit it! It's really that simple!

Now, if you want to get into bait casting you can definitely buy a premade combo, but if you want something that will LAST and feel good fishing for hours (tournament style), then you will need to drop a bit more than $120. A great MH rod can be had for around $100. Several that come to mind are Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0. $99 and can be had a bit cheaper on sale. A TFO rod can be had for around $120 and they have a lifetime warranty. But my favorite for under 2 bills is the new G. Loomis EX6. $169 and just won best rod at 2016 iCast.

Now reels. I'm about to open a huge can of worms, but having spent literally thousands on tackle my absolute favorite reels, both spinning AND bait cast are Shimano. I fish Curados almost exclusively now. Starting at $179 they will fish for years! Shimano has a few new models and I think the Casitas @$119 is a bargain. It's got all the features of their higher prices reels and looks a lot like the Aldeberan ($400)!
Now keep in mind these are my preferences. Your best bet is to watch guys on You Tube like Lake Fork Guy. Go put your hands on different reels and see what you like the best. You don't need to drop big $$$ on gear at all. You get what you pay for to an extent. But it's like driving a car. Sure a Kia will get you from point A to point B just like a Mercedes, but finding the happy medium is key. No need to buy a Shimano Metanium or Stella, but then again you don't want a Scooby Doo push button either.

I hope this helps somewhat. I hope I don't seem like I'm pushing you on Shimano, but I have spent a LOT of money on a LOT of different gear. Shimano is just in a class of its own. But there are plenty of good brand. I would recommend sticking with brands like Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Lews, and Pflueger (in that order). They're probably the most fished and are time proven. Plus parts and upgrades are readily available.

Now as far as shore fishing goes...I love it!! I fish from the bank as much as I fish from the boat. I find that sticking to a 6'6" medium rod w a size 50 reel works best. My go-to bank set up is a TFO medium fast paired with a Curado 50 (green machine from Japan). It will throw light lures well and still handle swim baits. It's sensitive, small and light weight- exactly what you want on the bank. Now find a good small pond and walk. Keep moving and fish it all the way around and parallel to the bank. 90% of the hookups will be VERY close to the shore. Look for structure, rocky bottom, shade, etc. In time you will master the art. And don't forget polarized sunglasses! You will be able to see through the water a LOT better.

Now hook up with some guys on this forum. Fish with as many different people as you can and learn from them. Take the good from each and develop your own style. Nothing beats time on the water. Remember that 90% of fish live in 10% of the water. Gain confidence and the lines will remain tight!!

Good luck and thanks for your service brother! I was once stationed @ Ft. Hood as well.

Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: Ram4bass] #11524772 04/06/16 12:42 PM
H
HOTBAMike Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Man, I can't thank you enough for the advice. I'll keep it short and sweet at that, and hope our paths cross one day just to shake your hand in appreciation for taking the time. Best to you as well brother!

And I've been watching all the YouTube stuff from LFG, TylerReel2Fishing, etc for the last few weeks. Just learn a few new things and head to the lake or river to try them out. Kinda lather, rose, repeat method.

Last edited by AllAboutThatBass; 04/06/16 12:46 PM.

-Henry David Thoreau

Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: HOTBAMike] #11536772 04/12/16 03:44 PM
T
TX0303 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
When you go to BPS, ask the guy behind the reel counter about combos they can put together for you. They have a list of combos that are not on the floor or on the website.
The BP Qualifier reel is on sale right now for $70. Put it on a MH UglyStik and you are right on budget.

Re: BPS.... What to get with $120??? [Re: TX0303] #11538268 04/13/16 12:17 AM
H
HOTBAMike Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Okay, thanks! I'll look into it ASAP

-Henry David Thoreau

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide